Whole Wheat Toast or Oatmeal?

Is Whole wheat toast a good supplement for my oatmeal in the morning…What is the truth on that. All diets I see are breadless…

[quote]ThisIsMyRifle wrote:
Is Whole wheat toast a good supplement for my oatmeal in the morning…What is the truth on that. All diets I see are breadless…[/quote]

The biggest problem with “100% whole wheat” bread is that it usually isn’t. Check the ingredients. It may say 100% whole wheat on the bag, but the ingredients, while actually including 100% whole wheat flour, will almost always also include other flours, sugar and or high fructose corn syrup. None of which I personally would eat. They’re only required by law to include a certain amount of a grain ingredient to call the grain product 100% whole whatever. At least last time I read up on this. I do know though from very recent experience about the actual ingredients though.

–Tiribulus->

You’re better off with sprouted grain bread.
The kind I buy has no sugar,is a complete protein bread(6 grams per slice), has 4 grams of fiber per slice,and is pretty low on the glycemic index.

No comparison in the two but whole GRAIN bread isnt the devil.

if it says simply “whole grain” than most likely it is not.

but if it does say 100% whole grain or whole wheat then u can trust, i think that using 100% is governed by the fda and must comply, unlike just “whole wheat”.

[quote]All2ez wrote:
if it says simply “whole grain” than most likely it is not.

but if it does say 100% whole grain or whole wheat then u can trust, i think that using 100% is governed by the fda and must comply, unlike just “whole wheat”.[/quote]

I’m not trying to be a butthead, but this is incorrect. Someone else is going to second me on this sooner or later. I held in my hand this past weekend both 100% whole 12 grain and 100% whole wheat bread according to the front of the bags and each had unbleached white flour, high fructose corn syrup and preservatives in them as well as the 100% whole ingredients.

–Tiribulus->

Edit: from here:
http://www.ers.usda.gov/AmberWaves/June05/Features/Will2005WholeGrain.htm#what

“The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requires foods that bear the whole-grain health claim to: (1) contain 51 percent or more whole-grain ingredients by weight per reference amount and (2) be low in fat.”

you have to read gthe labels look for one high in fiber and also look at the bread should look like it has millings from a wood chipper LOL

I found these whole grain mixes you use to make your own bread at a local store. I only eat bread on weekends, but this stuff is great. It reminds you of what REAL bread was like before mass production. You could probably use a loaf as a home defense weapon if need be.

Heavy, full bodied and full of the “wood chipper” stuff ;-] Regular commercial bread is largely air. Out of the oven with some real butter it’s unspeakably kickass, not to mention healthy.

–Tiribulus->

This is it. Not cheap, but like I say I only eat bread on weekends anyway. If you want the best bread you’ve ever eaten try this out. I make it with EVOO and throw in some flax meal from this same company. When kneading it I use real butter all over my hands to keep it from from sticking and that also works into the mix. The aroma coming from the oven is unbelievable.

–Tiribulus->

There are a number of sprouted grain organic breads out there that are fantastic. I’d look into those. I love Silver Hills. The breads go fast though - hardly any preservatives. Here’s a breakout of the ingredients:

Organic whole sprouted wheat*, organic vital wheat gluten*, organic evaporated cane juice*, yeast, sea salt, organic bran flakes*, (may contain traces of sesame seeds).

• Certified Organic

All fats in this bread are naturally occurring.

PLEASE NOTE: All nutritional information is posted in compliance with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.

Nutrition Info

per 41g serving (1 slice):

Energy
90 Cal
370 kJ

Protein
4.2g

Fat
0.7g

Polyunsaturates
0.3g

Monunsaturates
0.1g

Saturates
0.1g

Cholesterol
0.0g

Carbohydrate
16.6g

Sugar
1.4g

Dietary Fiber
4.4g

Sodium
137mg

Potassium
70mg

Ya gotta love oats no matter what, but when it comes to breaad, when I’m eating it at least, I vote for sprouted grain as well. Ezekiel in particluar. Food for Life makes a bunch of different types…I love the stuff. They even make Ezekiel cinnamon raisin english muffins - tasty and filling!

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I was wondering… Are there any commercial brands of wheat bread besides this “sprouted” stuff that is not full of junk and corn syrup and such?

I am going to visit Wold Oats or something and look for the sprouted stuff, but meanwhile it seems like there’s gotta be some conscientious bread makers out there that you can get at the super market. Doesn’t there?

I live in NYC so it’s easy for me to get this bread, but i believe you can order it through the website.

Eli’s Bread.
The “Health Loaf” line is fantastic.
http://www.elizabar.com/store-bread2.html

Probably the best TRUE whole grain bread i have ever had.

And i agree with Phil’s comment whole-heartedly.
Look at the slice of bread.
The middle part, not the crust:

Do you see real whole oats? Different Seeds? Other chunky grain-like things? In other words does it LOOK like chunky, dense, whole grain bread?
Does it look kinda like someone made bread out of bird seed?

Then you are dealing with whole grain.
If you don’t see any of those things, be skeptical.

Just go Multi-gran. I personally go with Nature’s Own 12-grain with the “wood chips” and it taste better to me also. It is clear of all the bad things mentioned before and I get it everytime at Walmart

[quote]force of one wrote:
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I was wondering… Are there any commercial brands of wheat bread besides this “sprouted” stuff that is not full of junk and corn syrup and such?

I am going to visit Wold Oats or something and look for the sprouted stuff, but meanwhile it seems like there’s gotta be some conscientious bread makers out there that you can get at the super market. Doesn’t there? [/quote]

If worse came to worse, bread is a non essential food as are grains in general though I also love bread and do still make the ones from the old post above on weekends sometimes.

Bottom line? If you really love bread fine, otherwise there are better foods anyway, nutritionally speaking.

[quote]force of one wrote:

I am going to visit Wold Oats or something and look for the sprouted stuff, but meanwhile it seems like there’s gotta be some conscientious bread makers out there that you can get at the super market. Doesn’t there? [/quote]

Ha! “Conceintuous”??? At the supermarket?

Sorry, but in order for the supermarket to even consider selling bread, it has to have a long shelf life, which immediately eliminates any bread you would actually want to ingest. If you look at the ingredient list on a loaf of bread and you see anything other than the essentials (grains, yeast, salt, maybe a little honey) put it the fuck down and go find the local bakery. There is nothing like good, fresh bread, and you sure as hell ain’t going to find it in the supermarket.