Whole Wheat Pizza Dough, Bitches!

Here’s my tried and true recipe for whole wheat pizza dough that actually acts like real dough and not a lump of concrete.

This makes 2 dough balls good for 2 large pizzas (or 4 medium pizzas if you’re good at manipulating dough).

Start with:

2 c hot water (not scalding)
3 tbsp olive oil
3 tsp kosher salt
1 package rapidrise yeast

Mix these together and let them sit for 5 min.

Then add:

~1 c unbleached white flour

Mix this in, then begin adding whole wheat flour. You’ll need roughly 5 more cups of whole wheat flour. Mix with a spoon or spatula until your forearms burn like hellfire, then use your hands and add small handfuls and incorporate it until it is pliable but not sticky. (this takes practice/experience so don’t get heated if your crust is crappy the first few times). Knead for another 5-8 mins. Make as much noise as possible so it seems difficult.

put 2 tbsp of oil in the bottom of a bowl, set the dough ball in it, then flip it over. Cover with a warm moist towel and put in the oven on “WARM” for 10 min. Turn off oven and let dough rise until doubled in size.

This can now be split and frozen, or rolled/tossed for pizza. If freezing, to thaw, leave on the countertop until dough is pliable again.

I normally use 1 whole-wheat pita as my base, but if I ever feel like stepping up, I will try this. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the recipe, I tried it out last night, and it was awesome. Got any more recipes?

Great recipe! Tried it the other night. That is the best homemade pizza ever!

I have made somthing similar very often but why the unbleached white flour and the whole wheat, I used only the whole wheat flour?