T Nation

Whole Wheat/Grain Bread.

When in articles you read about eating 100% Whole Wheat, or Whole Grain bread, instead of regular white bread. Is Dempster’s 100% whole wheat or whole grain bread alright?, Or is there like some “high quality” type of whole wheat/grain bread out there that I should look into?
Thanks

dl-

[quote]dl- wrote:
When in articles you read about eating 100% Whole Wheat, or Whole Grain bread, instead of regular white bread. Is Dempster’s 100% whole wheat or whole grain bread alright?, Or is there like some “high quality” type of whole wheat/grain bread out there that I should look into?
Thanks

dl-[/quote]

Dempsters will do. I personally also love their Flax version.

Just make sure whatever brand you buy says Whole Wheat. Regular wheat bread is pretty much the same as white bread. A lot of people think they are doing good by buying wheat bread, but for health benefits it needs to be whole wheat.

As a general rule, the fluffier the bread, the worse it is for you.

So instead, forget regular bread entirely, whether white, “wheat” or whole wheat. Instead go to a health food store and get some sprouted grain bread, also known as Ezekial bread. It ain’t cheap, but it’s a lot healthier than any other kind of bread. And it certainly is NOT fluffy. Some regular grocery stores carry it in their health food sections, but it’ll be either frozen or refrigerated, and you’ll have to keep it refrigerated at the very least.

[quote]yorik wrote:
As a general rule, the fluffier the bread, the worse it is for you.

So instead, forget regular bread entirely, whether white, “wheat” or whole wheat. Instead go to a health food store and get some sprouted grain bread, also known as Ezekial bread. It ain’t cheap, but it’s a lot healthier than any other kind of bread. And it certainly is NOT fluffy. Some regular grocery stores carry it in their health food sections, but it’ll be either frozen or refrigerated, and you’ll have to keep it refrigerated at the very least.[/quote]

Better yet, plant some wheat in your back yard and when it’s ready just do some grazing. :slight_smile: (j/k)

Rye and other grains are better then wheat. They have a lower GI and more protein per slice.

As someone said a mixed/sprouted loaf that isnt all wheat will probably be the healthiest best. You can tell how unrefined a bread is jut by the texture.

Avoid any breads with enriched/bleached flour and low fiber content. If it is enriched this means they took the good stuff out during processing.

Thanks a lot guys…ooo and I just purchased some rye bread so that’s a bonus. Good info.

dl-