T Nation

Whole Week Off

Has anyone lost any strength from taking a full week off?

[quote]jkondash89 wrote:
Has anyone lost any strength from taking a full week off?[/quote]
I lifted Saturday the 4th, and then not again until saturday the 11th, instead of doing a decompression week with 531, and on the 11th, hit a new PR 290x6 on bench. I take a full week off from lifting at least once every 6-8 weeks.

Nice ive been lifting for over a year without a break. Ive been lifting 3 years altogether. Im gonna take the rest of the week off and spend it with the family.

I used to be so afraid of taking time off now after training with Sam I take a full 7-9 days off nothing but stretching and hot tubs maybe even a massage if I can afford it and every single time every single time I break a PR and usually by a damn good gain. 20-30lbs on Squat and Deadlift. Hell I watched him take a full 2 weeks off and then break a damn world record at CAPO

Nope, but my muscles feel so cramped and tight during the session that I cannot bring myself to push as hard, and I’m so sore the following day that I cannot do much either.

So I prefer not to take anymore than 2-3 days of breaks at most. If it’s longer, then I always make sure to do push-ups, squats, hip hinges, etc, to keep the body limber.

[quote]magick wrote:
Nope, but my muscles feel so cramped and tight during the session that I cannot bring myself to push as hard, and I’m so sore the following day that I cannot do much either.

So I prefer not to take anymore than 2-3 days of breaks at most. If it’s longer, then I always make sure to do push-ups, squats, hip hinges, etc, to keep the body limber.[/quote]

I think this is one of those things that is different for different people. I have a friend that can’t skip more than about 3 days or he feels weak, but I always do better with less and make good gains . Yet if I take a week off from rock climbing, then I climb horrible the next couple times. Completely opposite for my lifting.

I have never had good results from taking a whole week off. I especially hate the first day back. To put it in other terms, it’s like going months without sex and then getting whiskey dick your first time back. That barbell is such a tease.

Jkond, it will probably also depend on a lot of factors like how active you are remaining during the time off, if you’re still taking care of nutrition and resting properly etc.

If your idea of a week off is sitting around and watching movies or playing video games 10 hours a day while eating delivery pizza and going out at night to drink with buddies…be prepared to do lots of warm up sets and to load lighter than you normally would.

Maybe every 3-4 months, it’s nice to do. I’ll usually do some more bike riding, hiking, and kayaking/canoeing. I’d climb too if there was anything to climb around H-town and the equipment wasn’t so damned expensive. It’s a nice deload while still staying active with activities that are more on the leisurely side of things.

I’ll usually be doing things like contrast showers, epsom salt baths, using heating pads, and lots and lots of stretching during the week. When I get back, I’ll usually ease into an accumulation block that has a good bit of conditioning so the break doesn’t take anything away really.

Ive been doing alot of walking lol and sitting around having lots of sex lmao. But anyway i dont drink at all anymore. My cardio is probably up a bit more but i feel good a little shrunken actually feel like ive deflated lol. Im gonna warm up good and smash the shit next week.

Also i feel i have been over training for the last year im about to drop everything but the main lifts do 531 with first set last 3x5

So a day would look like this.

Squat 3/5/1

70%x3-80%x3-90%x3+

70%+x3

And fuck all assistance!

Do you do any sort of periodization? Like blocks focused on conditioning, hypertrophy, speed, and absolute strength? I’m not saying totally focus on one thing and forget about everything else, just put on emphasis on some things. It’s fairly simple to do with 5/3/1 and Wendler lays out some ways to do this. This is what I have to do to manage fatigue and prevent big time stalling and injuries.

It’s something I opted for out of necessity really. I screwed it up at first when I first started experimenting by over-focusing on some qualities and not putting enough energy into maintenance for others, but it started working better afterwards.

Deloads are tricky. Can go either way - sometimes you can crush records, other times you feel like shit. Haven’t figured out how to make it work consistently.

ps: Too much? Weren’t you just training 3x/week?

[quote]Sutebun wrote:
I have never had good results from taking a whole week off. I especially hate the first day back. To put it in other terms, it’s like going months without sex and then getting whiskey dick your first time back. That barbell is such a tease.

Jkond, it will probably also depend on a lot of factors like how active you are remaining during the time off, if you’re still taking care of nutrition and resting properly etc.

If your idea of a week off is sitting around and watching movies or playing video games 10 hours a day while eating delivery pizza and going out at night to drink with buddies…be prepared to do lots of warm up sets and to load lighter than you normally would.[/quote]

Who goes months without sex? That might be the problem. But definitely do activity during the week off, don’t just sit on your ass stuffing your face with junk. Get out in nature, get active, get laid (a bunch) and you will feel strong when you lift again.

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:
Deloads are tricky. Can go either way - sometimes you can crush records, other times you feel like shit. Haven’t figured out how to make it work consistently.

ps: Too much? Weren’t you just training 3x/week? [/quote]

No i probably will be training 3 days per week in the mid future though is what i said in another thread of mine. Im gonna try some squatting tonight at sub max weight i may only go to 405 for a few triples maybe 5x3 or 10x3 depending on how i feel. Im not competing much any more. No trasportation and no real meets within 100 miles. Im still gonna try to get stronger but worry less about my 1rm

I really think it depends on what you do within the week off. If you don’t eat properly (or enough, for that matter) and sleep enough, you’ll feel it upon coming back. I generally have to force myself to get enough protein/food in during planned off-weeks.

Every time I lifted light for 1 week, I felt weaker on the next week. I discovered that doing singles with around 75% and the rest of the week light I’m able to maintain strength and recover faster. That’s the only way deloading worked for me until now.

Ive took weeks off before and upper body work is the same. The only thing that suffers a bit for me is Squats, they just feel heavy and slow the first workout back. I can not train the deadlift for months and gain strength though which is weird.

Its very individual.
For me, taking a week off & doing nothing will definitely hamper my lifting when I return.
What works really well for me is to keep intensity moderately high but massively cut volume & reps & remove most accessory work, ie I will work up to 85% on squats for a single & go home, very very easy work, takes about 20 mins but keeps my body familiar with the barbell while allowing super compensation.
Extra emphasis is put on self massage & stretching.

It’ll affect it, but not negatively. You need rest. It doesn’t take long, if at all, to get back to whatever you’re doing. It’s all part of the cycle. Everyone has their views on recovery. Just figure out what works best for you and listen to what your body is telling you.

I always take a week off before a meet. Always had good results. Just stretch and roll out maybe 3 times during deload if possible. You won’t lose stregth if you stay on your diet. You’ll almost always come back stronger bc any little injury whether muscle or tendon will be able to heal more adequately then if you were still lifting heavy and trying to hit PR’s the following week.

I have before, but another time i took a week off and came back stronger