Whole or Double Blood Donation

Does any one know which is the better approach to control high hematocrit through donating blood. The whole blood donation every 8 weeks of the double blood every 16 weeks? I would assume double blood since they remove 2x the red cells.
Thanks

If a real problem now, perhaps double then singles after that. You have to judge how you feel afterwards, perhaps a double leaves you feeling weak or light headed.

I recall one guy who felt a lot better very soon after this. I would assume because blood flow in the brain was improved.

Will be interesting to see if we get some traffic on this.

I gave blood in August, not sure if it was single or double, I gave platelets, and I wasn’t eligible to give blood again until last week, so I assume platelets was double?

I get blood tested again next week for TRT and will let you know how my hematocrit changed, or didn’t. I was at 48 and gave blood more out of a service than an interest in therapeutic phlebotomy.

I get tested next week, bloods available the week after, will update this if I think of it.

Got in trouble 6 months ago (Hematocrit went to 59, hemoglobin 19.8)BP was high etc. I gave whole blood and felt awesome. Next time 8 weeks later (Hematocrit was 50 hemoglobin 17.8)they offered “Double blood” option but they couldn’t tell me if better, just that it is a 16 week wait till next donation. I did double blood, and again felt great. Defiantly couldn’t train that day felt weak but fine the next day. I’m prepping for a powerlifting meet and upped my T a bit and know blood donation is important. Hematocrit is 51 hemoglobin 17 (not bad at all considering 500mg a week T). I have the option this Fri for either, so I’m going to do double. I think it is a better approach to lower Hem. After Dec 10th I come back down to normal TRT dose. On a side note, Amit Sapir has helped me drop 40# in 12 weeks, Hydro fat test showed 0# muscle loss, at the same time hitting PR’s in all three events. The man is amazing at his craft !!!

The double blood donation obviously takes twice as many red blood cells out as a single blood donation. The difference is that in the double blood donation the plasma is put back into you and also saline is added so that your blood volume doesn’t drop.

From the standpoint of “feeling” after the donation the single or whole blood donation is more likely to cause a drop in blood pressure and consequently some dizziness because of a lower blood volume, all which doesn’t occur from the double blood donation. From a oxygen carrying capacity the double blood donation would have more of an effect.

If you or your doctor is concerned about a clot or stroke due to high hematocrit he should write you a prescription for a therapeutic phlebotomy. Every sixteen weeks for a double red cell donation and every eight weeks for a single donation is not enough to consistently keep your hematocrit at the level you would like. It is replaced very quickly by the body.

Do watch out for becoming anemic. When you donate blood and they check your hematocrit level before you donate, if it is not 46 don’t donate.

The double blood donation obviously takes twice as many red blood cells out as a single blood donation. The difference is that in the double blood donation the plasma is put back into you and also saline is added so that your blood volume doesn’t drop.

From the standpoint of “feeling” after the donation the single or whole blood donation is more likely to cause a drop in blood pressure and consequently some dizziness because of a lower blood volume, all which doesn’t occur from the double blood donation. From a oxygen carrying capacity the double blood donation would have more of an effect.

If you or your doctor is concerned about a clot or stroke due to high hematocrit he should write you a prescription for a therapeutic phlebotomy. Every sixteen weeks for a double red cell donation and every eight weeks for a single donation is not enough to consistently keep your hematocrit at the level you would like. It is replaced very quickly by the body.

Do watch out for becoming anemic. When you donate blood and they check your hematocrit level before you donate, if it is not 46 don’t donate.

thank you for that info quite helpful

Do they allow you to donate blood while on Test C?
My latest HCT was 54 and I need to unload.

Yes, I just did it, and let them know I was on Test C before.