Whole Lotta Workout Questions

ive been keeping a workout log and recording all my problems throughout the last week, here they are

leg question
im 5’10 at 16 years old, and this guy who always gives me advice at the gym told me at my height it’d be better to do sled hack squats rather than the leg presses i’ve been doing
what do you guys think?

shoulder question
i feel like im fucking up my joints with my shoulder workouts

i just started shoulder workouts last week, but with the dumbbell side raises occasionally it feels like my shoulder is popping out and in, which im sure is a bad sign same with the dumbbell front raises, i see people pump with their legs a little bit each time they raise up the dumbbell, is that what you’re supposed to do?

what shoulder workouts do you guys recommend to workout all the delts?

[quote]droozie wrote:
ive been keeping a workout log and recording all my problems throughout the last week, here they are

leg question
im 5’10 at 16 years old, and this guy who always gives me advice at the gym told me at my height it’d be better to do sled hack squats rather than the leg presses i’ve been doing
what do you guys think?

You’d be better off doing proper squats and deadlifts, if they’re allowed at you gym.

shoulder question

i just started shoulder workouts last week, but with the dumbbell side raises occasionally it feels like my shoulder is popping out and in, which im sure is a bad sign same with the dumbbell front raises, i see people pump with their legs a little bit each time they raise up the dumbbell, is that what you’re supposed to do?

[/quote]

Hate to say it, but you might need to check your ego. Start light and work your way up gradually, workout by workout. DON’T RUSH IT!!!

If you injure your shoulders or knees, you’ll be in a lot of pain for a long time.

Just do back squats

[quote]droozie wrote:

leg question
what do you guys think?[/quote]

What do you think? Both are good exercises and you’ll be lifting for a long time (assuming you stick at it) so you’ll likely be doing both of them at one point in time.

I’ve found that hack squats tend to work the VMO more than the other leg movements and since many people tend to have weak or misfiring VMO’s the hack squat variation is something that can be helpful in improving knee integrety for the younger trainee.

But a decline step up (the foot on the upper leg has the heal higher than the toes) is even better at isolating the VMO so it really comes down to what you are going after.

[quote]shoulder question
i just started shoulder workouts last week, but with the dumbbell side raises occasionally it feels like my shoulder is popping out and in, which im sure is a bad sign

same with the dumbbell front raises, i see people pump with their legs a little bit each time they raise up the dumbbell, is that what you’re supposed to do?
what shoulder workouts do you guys recommend to workout all the delts?[/quote]

Focusing on more rotator cuff and lower trap work has been useful in eliminating the pain in the shoulder joint and preventing that popping sensation. I believe it is most likely due to tendons rubbing which will help you develop problems in the future.

I just read your post where you outline your workout program - it is completely void of structural balance work. There have been a number of great articles on prehab and rotator cuff work. Search for and read these article.

Once your scapula stay in place with laterals there is a very good chance that the tracking issues will be gone.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
droozie wrote:

leg question
what do you guys think?

You’d be better off doing proper squats and deadlifts, if they’re allowed at you gym.

shoulder question

Hate to say it, but you might need to check your ego. Start light and work your way up gradually, workout by workout. DON’T RUSH IT!!!

If you injure your shoulders or knees, you’ll be in a lot of pain for a long time.[/quote]
i already do squats and deadlifts

[quote]droozie wrote:

1. Will I be better off doing sled hack squats rather than the leg presses i’ve been doing[/quote]

IMO, no. Squats are best, Leg presses after that. Hack squats are down there leg extensions, in my book, because they over-accentuate the quads and don’t allow for a whole lot of loading (weight).

No. That’s called a number of things, but strict form is not one of them.

I don’t. I know they’re a part of every bodybuilding split since the fifties, and I know eremesu and mr. popular shout to the heavens of their efficacy, but I think shoulder workouts are detrimental to those posting in this forum.

Here’s why:

1. Shoulders are (comparatively) easily damaged. They take a structual beating from presses, rows, and squats. They don’t need an extra workout to aggravate that.
  2. Shoulders also get worked a lot from presses, rows and squats. I don’t think they necessarily need direct work to hypertrophy.
  3. Shoulders aren’t a big muscle group. Their exercises don’t burn a lot of calories or provide a hormonal response, even with heavy loading. These things are staples of lifts in beginner programs.

So I don’t think the rewards match the risks (for beginners).

[quote]Otep wrote:
droozie wrote:

1. Will I be better off doing sled hack squats rather than the leg presses i’ve been doing

IMO, no. Squats are best, Leg presses after that. Hack squats are down there leg extensions, in my book, because they over-accentuate the quads and don’t allow for a whole lot of loading (weight).

1. Are you supposed to help with your legs when doing a lateral raise?

No. That’s called a number of things, but strict form is not one of them.

1. What shoulder workouts do you guys recommend to workout all the delts?

I don’t. I know they’re a part of every bodybuilding split since the fifties, and I know eremesu and mr. popular shout to the heavens of their efficacy, but I think shoulder workouts are detrimental to those posting in this forum.

Here’s why:

1. Shoulders are (comparatively) easily damaged. They take a structual beating from presses, rows, and squats. They don’t need an extra workout to aggravate that.
  2. Shoulders also get worked a lot from presses, rows and squats. I don’t think they necessarily need direct work to hypertrophy.
  3. Shoulders aren’t a big muscle group. Their exercises don’t burn a lot of calories or provide a hormonal response, even with heavy loading. These things are staples of lifts in beginner programs.

So I don’t think the rewards match the risks (for beginners).

[/quote]

Yep - plus you’re already popping when doing those raises - ditch them. At the very least youtube YWTL and do them alot with strict form. To learn more, keep reading articles.

[quote]Darin1 wrote:
Just do back squats[/quote]

you may want to can giving out advice for a while.

I would use cables for shoulder workouts. You will have an easier time making the connection with your shoulders as opposed to dumbell lateral raises where it can be easy to cheat.

Do squats.

For shoulders, just stick with shoulder presses. If you’re that concerned with your posterior deltoid, do elbow-out rows.