Whole Egg Consumption Article

I really enjoyed this article. Anyone else read it and have thoughts?

I was particularly fascinated by the quest to figure out the balance of benefits vs. potential drawbacks. Also, I wonder if some of the benefits of eggs can be found in other foods. However, I must be upfront about my whole egg eating habit. We (family of 6) have chickens so we get a dozen eggs a day (soon to be three dozen a day, coincidentally) and can’t afford not to eat all parts of the eggs (except shells).

I honestly find it fascinating that people will worry about eating an egg while sucking down some chemical wonderland from Starbucks.

We are a backwards species

5 Likes

I never tossed out the egg yokes. (7 eggs for breakfast) It was my nutritional fat of my diet. I eat leaner meats and fish to reduce fat calories.

I never fell for the dietary cholesterol “science” being pushed in the ‘70’s and ‘80’s. I knew the human body needed cholesterol, and if you didn’t eat it your body would produce it.

1 Like

@T3hPwnisher I feel like you might enjoy this article, if you can find the full text version. If not, and you want it, let me know and I can send it to you somehow.

https://psycnet.apa.org/record/1980-09733-001

I have had 8 and 9 egg meals before, but on rare occasions. 7 eggs every morning is dedication! Can’t say I have ever done that consistently, but I have had 1-3 eggs 5/7 days a week probably for the last 2-3 years. Got blood work done, cholesterol specifically, and no indication of any problems. Granted I’m only 35. I tend to go with the philosophy of since there is no clear and present danger of eggs (and maybe even some benefits) I will continue to have chickens, eat eggs and chicken, and sell our surplus on the side (we are in a local egg demand right now due to high store prices). Sometimes we have to go with what is economically advantageous.

This is a bit of the premise of “In Defense of Food” by Michael Pollan. Society was taught to look at Nutrition Facts as opposed to ingredients. Most people see an amalgamation of fake foods, sweeteners, and artificial flavors as a better option than whole eggs, raw almonds, full fat yogurt, etc… because it has less carbs/fat/ etc…. A Diet Coke and a Lean Cuisine with fat free potato chips is a “healthy” lunch in the mind of many.

A good rule of thumb is to look at what it’s made of. If you wouldn’t eat any of those things separately why would you want to eat them in an ultra-processed form with flavors and emulsifiers added to fool you into thinking it’s food.

5 Likes

Jack LaLanne had a great approach to this.

He would ask people “Would you give your dog a donut and a cigarette for breakfast?”

When people would become aghast and say they would never because they love their dog, Jack would say “If you wouldn’t give it to a dog, why do YOU eat it?”

3 Likes

Uh, because Red #40 and BHT are DELICIOUS!!! lol

But, seriously, you nailed it with that comment. No one needs those chemical shit-storm combos. No. One.

3 Likes

Question…what do you all consider processed foods?

My list:
Protein shakes
Sodas
Cereals
Chips, pretzels etc
Vitamin supplements
Cream cheeses
Ketchups, hot sauces, bbq sauce
Crackers

Possible candidates:
Pasta
Milk
Cheese
Bread
Canned soups
Tv dinners
Pizza

Can i lose weigh on this way of eating

3 eggs cooked butter for breakfast
Healthy meal at work cafeteria…chicken, potato, vegetable
Ribeye steak for dinner, ham steak, or chicken thighs baked

Possible fruit for snacks…banana, apples

Pretty much everything you list is processed or ultra processed.

Unprocessed or minimally processed foods should make up the bulk of what you eat: fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts, seeds, meats, eggs, seafood, milk.

Processed foods will add oil, sugar, or otherwise alter the foods from their natural states: bread, cheese, tofu, nut butters, some healthier crackers or the like. This does not make them necessarily unhealthy. For example, natural peanut butter or nut butter can be healthy, as can cheeses or yogurts.

Ultra processed foods are highly altered and contain fake/manipulated ingredients to make them highly palatable to the general population: hot dogs, candy bars, protein bars, fast food, chips, most breakfast cereals, lean cuisines/frozen entrees, sodas, etc…. These should be avoided if at all possible, but you can use them sparingly. For example, I’ll eat a protein bar if I’m on the road and want to hit my protein goals for the day. But it’s clearly not as optimal as getting your calories and macros from the other categories.

You can lose weight eating only ultra processed foods if you want. Losing weight is being in a calorie deficient, and can be done with diet cokes, lean cuisines, and fat-free Lay’s chips. Weight is not totally unrelated to the above (those that eat ultra processed foods tend to be obese compared to those that eat unprocessed foods), but it is not a strict relationship.

2 Likes

The reason i asked is because i have been in a calorie deficit for many months…1200 to 1600 per day…and i believe it may be to many processed foods or too high of carbs…my weight loss has stalled

Thats just homeostasis, the down side of extended caloric restriction. You have adapted to that and its no longer a deficit.

Whats the resolution

i am getting stronger in the gym, if that means anything

You can add some calories back in slowly to create a new set point (while watching the scale), then drop them again, like a cyclical deficit, or tons of other stuff.

Im not a real weight loss expert.

2 Likes

It’s entirely possible that you are replacing your body-fat tissue with new, lean muscle tissue. Muscle tissue weighs approximately three times more than an equal volume/amount of fat tissue, hence the scale stall-outs…

You might also try one of several “zig-zag” methods like four to five days of deficit followed by two to three days of a moderate splurge - or - two to three moderate splurge feedings after a good, hard workout then back to deficit… keep that thyroid awake.

Keep searching.
Don’t give up.