T Nation

Whole Body is Super Tight

Hello forum

I am 19 years old. When I was younger, in high school, I was very active and ran and did pushups daily for 3 years in a row. I progressed every so often to harder variations of oushups and ran faster. This led to me now a few years later not being able to do pullups with feeling my back and feeling pain in my shoulder black. This also led to me not being able to do squats and any leg exercise for that matter because in any leg exercise I feel it in my knees and not my quads, hamstrings, etc.

I met up with a trainer who seems experience and she told me basically all my muscles around my body are very tight including my calves, quads, glutes, chest, and the trainer almost named all my muscles. I have been trying to heal for the past five weeks with myofascia release by self massaging my muscles with both a foam roller and by hand, but it seems not to help and if it is very little. I was wondering if anybody has some other techniques.

I have tried yoga in the past as well, but it does not work because I am too tight and do not feel the right muscles stretching in yoga either. Please help. I will be glad to provide any extra information if necessary. I just want to be more mobile and flexible and be able to go back to exercising again normally. Thanks!

De Franco’s agile 11

Limber 11:

Difficult at first if you’re very tense. I only started this a few months ago and definitely found the first few times difficult and painful. But the mobility gains came. Very excited to get back to it when I’m healthy.

Make sure when you buy a foam roller to get a legitimately firm one. Don’t bother with the light blue, water-noodle type ones. You should be able to find one for decently cheap. The lacrosse ball is key as well; they’re like $5.

The lacrosse ball on the glutes seems to loosen me up, but my lowerback always hurts after doing it. Anyone know any other way to do this so it does not hurt my lowerback?

[quote]paflt wrote:
The lacrosse ball on the glutes seems to loosen me up, but my lowerback always hurts after doing it. Anyone know any other way to do this so it does not hurt my lowerback?[/quote]

Use the ball to roll out your back as well. The limber 11 is great, but it doesn’t hit everything.

I’m about to blow your mind:

Test your hamstring flexibility.

Now do 3 sets of 12 bird dogs. 12 reps each side, nice and slow and controlled.

Retest hamstring flexibility.

Dun dun DUNNNN. An instant increase in flexibility!

Get your core up to snuff, mate. It’ll work wonders.

People usually aren’t as injured as they think they are, you are 19 go out and just do something. Walk, swim, move in general. Your body wants to recover you have to stimulate it.

[quote]Yogi wrote:

Get your core up to snuff, mate. It’ll work wonders.[/quote]

bird dogs hurt my lower back. i’ve tried them a few times before.

[quote]cparker wrote:
People usually aren’t as injured as they think they are, you are 19 go out and just do something. Walk, swim, move in general. Your body wants to recover you have to stimulate it.[/quote]

i’ve done that many times, but my tightness still stays the same. it doesnt help me.

[quote]nkklllll wrote:

[quote]paflt wrote:
The lacrosse ball on the glutes seems to loosen me up, but my lowerback always hurts after doing it. Anyone know any other way to do this so it does not hurt my lowerback?[/quote]

Use the ball to roll out your back as well. The limber 11 is great, but it doesn’t hit everything.[/quote]

the ball is really hard, im afraid it may be too much for my low back to handle.
not trying to make it worse

[quote]paflt wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

Get your core up to snuff, mate. It’ll work wonders.[/quote]

bird dogs hurt my lower back. i’ve tried them a few times before.
[/quote]

you’re hyperextending when you do them. Don’t do that.