T Nation

Who Was Bigger: Arnold or Lou?

I was watching Pumping Iron and there is a scene where they say the following, “At 6’5 and 275 lbs making Lou the largest bodybuilder ever.” He still looked thin compared to Arnold, i mean when they are working out, you seen Lou working out on his own in a dark gym and then you see Arnold working out at Golds gym who happens to look alot more massive. It seems strange that Arnold looked more bigger than Lou, even though Lou turned out to be alot heavier than him. Or is it all to do with illusions, such as the v-taper look, definition and so on?

Height?

Lou was taller and bigger, but Arnold was more defined - making him look bigger (illusion on the stage). That is what Thib and Shugart yaps about, that if you are about 10% or less body fat, you will appear bigger than you actually are.

[quote]hawaiilifterMike wrote:
Lou was taller and bigger, but Arnold was more defined - making him look bigger (illusion on the stage). That is what Thib and Shugart yaps about, that if you are about 10% or less body fat, you will appear bigger than you actually are.[/quote]

Bullshit.

Kai Greene, Phil Heath and Silvio often look more filled out than Toney Freeman (slightly) because Toney’s weight is spread over a greater area.

The same here.

More defined? None of those guys were exactly “dried out and ripped to shreds” like bodybuilders on stage today.

I forgot to mention I think Arnold also had a darker tan that adds to the illusion of size and definition. I will double check by watching Pumping Iron dvd tonight.

So i take it Lou was overall more bigger than Arnold, even though Arnold looked more impressive.

lets talk about height,I have seen arnold and ronnie on stage together arnie with shoes and hair high and ronnie barefoot and bald and arnie doesnt tower over him like he should if he was really 6’3".I have stood right next to ronnie coleman and he cant be more than 5’10". and im 6’5"

[quote]Professor X wrote:
hawaiilifterMike wrote:
Lou was taller and bigger, but Arnold was more defined - making him look bigger (illusion on the stage). That is what Thib and Shugart yaps about, that if you are about 10% or less body fat, you will appear bigger than you actually are.

Kai Greene, Phil Heath and Silvio often look more filled out than Toney Freeman (slightly) because Toney’s weight is spread over a greater area.

The same here.

More defined? None of those guys were exactly “dried out and ripped to shreds” like bodybuilders on stage today.[/quote]

It is true that shorter bodybuilders look way more filled out at similar/comparable bodyweight than taller bodybuilders. The height differential between (Kai 5’8", Phil 5’8", Silvio 5’6") and Toney Freeman 6’2" is a little bigger than between Arnold (supposedly 6’2") and Lou (6’5").

Also when I wrote “That is what Thib and Shugart yaps about, that if you are about 10% or less body fat, you will appear bigger than you actually are.” is only comparing what they say about the same individual/person at 8-10% bodyfat vs. 13-16%.

[quote]horsepuss wrote:
lets talk about height,I have seen arnold and ronnie on stage together arnie with shoes and hair high and ronnie barefoot and bald and arnie doesnt tower over him like he should if he was really 6’3".I have stood right next to ronnie coleman and he cant be more than 5’10". and im 6’5"[/quote]

I’ve actually seen the man in person and theres no way he’s 6’3. I’m 6’2 and he was blatantly shorter than I.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
hawaiilifterMike wrote:
Lou was taller and bigger, but Arnold was more defined - making him look bigger (illusion on the stage). That is what Thib and Shugart yaps about, that if you are about 10% or less body fat, you will appear bigger than you actually are.

Bullshit.

Kai Greene, Phil Heath and Silvio often look more filled out than Toney Freeman (slightly) because Toney’s weight is spread over a greater area.

The same here.

More defined? None of those guys were exactly “dried out and ripped to shreds” like bodybuilders on stage today.[/quote]

2X and I fully support and proudly sponsor this statement. My 5’8 counterpart at 240lbs looks like a monster. I finally look like I lift weights for fun. Another 30 and I’ll look the part and there won’t be one fucking piece of doubt in peoples minds of what I do and what I am. Bigger frames need more muscle to look impressive. NUFF SAID.

[quote]Growing_Boy wrote:
horsepuss wrote:
lets talk about height,I have seen arnold and ronnie on stage together arnie with shoes and hair high and ronnie barefoot and bald and arnie doesnt tower over him like he should if he was really 6’3".I have stood right next to ronnie coleman and he cant be more than 5’10". and im 6’5"

I’ve actually seen the man in person and theres no way he’s 6’3. I’m 6’2 and he was blatantly shorter than I. [/quote]

Thats what I think to,he isnt 6’2"

[quote]Growing_Boy wrote:
Professor X wrote:
hawaiilifterMike wrote:
Lou was taller and bigger, but Arnold was more defined - making him look bigger (illusion on the stage). That is what Thib and Shugart yaps about, that if you are about 10% or less body fat, you will appear bigger than you actually are.

Bullshit.

Kai Greene, Phil Heath and Silvio often look more filled out than Toney Freeman (slightly) because Toney’s weight is spread over a greater area.

The same here.

More defined? None of those guys were exactly “dried out and ripped to shreds” like bodybuilders on stage today.

2X and I fully support and proudly sponsor this statement. My 5’8 counterpart at 240lbs looks like a monster. I finally look like I lift weights for fun. Another 30 and I’ll look the part and there won’t be one fucking piece of doubt in peoples minds of what I do and what I am. Bigger frames need more muscle to look impressive. NUFF SAID.
[/quote]

I used to love being 6’2, now all I think about is how much of a disadvantage it is in the sport I love…oh well lol.

At least women like tall guys, so it’s still cool

I read that when he was younger he was about 6’1 and 1/2 inches tall, but now that he is 61 years old, he would have gotten shorter by a little bit (with age and gravity).

HEIGHT aside, it seems that most people have been talking about HEIGHT on this thread, this is about the muscle mass of Arnold and Lou. Who do you lot think had the better body? Arnold or Lou? And why does Lou look thin compared to Arnold? I thought he was heavier than Arnold.

[quote]hawaiilifterMike wrote:
I read that when he was younger he was about 6’1 and 1/2 inches tall, but now that he is 61 years old, he would have gotten shorter by a little bit (with age and gravity).[/quote]

Great point.

My dad is now 2" shorter than he was when I was a kid.

People forget that humans ‘shrink’ as they get older.

Looks about right for 6’2 to me. Lets not forget that even if Lou was larger at a taller height he didn’t have any real standout wow body part like Arnie’s arms or chest.

Also, we can look at that 275 number… did he compete at that weight? i’m guessing no. Arnie was probably like 250 himself at some points which when you add in the 3 or 4 inches makes Lou not that much bigger in reality. That is my 2 cents. He was not bigger then Arnold given the height difference.

[quote]LIONZ wrote:
HEIGHT aside, it seems that most people have been talking about HEIGHT on this thread, this is about the muscle mass of Arnold and Lou. Who do you lot think had the better body? Arnold or Lou? And why does Lou look thin compared to Arnold? I thought he was heavier than Arnold.[/quote]

Because it is ALL about height. I am 5"10 and 195. I have a small bone structure though. I have plenty of friends that are 6’2 and 220 who are not as well developed as I am. Taller people weigh more. So what we saying when you account for that, Lou wasn’t much bigger and in my opinion he wasn’t. Arnold’s body was far better.

I just don’t get it, people are talking about height and height “shrinkage” and comparing Arnolds HEIGHT to RONNIE COLEMAN’s HEIGHT, in other words, this thread has completely gone off the topic and has evolved into talking about height and comparing someone’s height to somebody else’s height. My question was why did Arnold look more WIDER than Lou even though the official statistics always show Lou to be the bigger, heavier guy??? I don’t give a shit about the minor height differences between both guys.

Ok it’s all about the height, it’s been said many times, so i agree.

I just read a few days ago in Muscular Development that Lou weighted in once at 300 pounds at the Olympia that’s pretty fucking huge if you ask me.