T Nation

Who Uses Jumps in Their Training?

I just started to add in some easy box jumps before squatting. So far I like it and it’s really helped my explosiveness. But before today I’ve never really done any type of jump going for personal records. I picked standing broad jump and got about 8’6". Now idk if this is good or not but in middle school I remember getting around 7’ for the state fitness test or whatever lol.

So who here believes that jumps can be a great part of a powerlifters training? How do you usually use them in your training? Also share some pr’s if you have any.

And yes I know there are some great articles on this site about jump training but usually they’re not from a powerlifters standpoint. I occasionally see a west side video using them which is proof enough that they help.

I believe stormthebeach uses them and has had great success with them. Maybe he’ll chime in

I like them. I do them first in the workout. Always before DE work and sometimes before ME work. I progress slowly so I don’t tax recovery too much. I’m currently experimenting with adding weight instead of height or length. I always focus on getting my feet off the ground as fast as possible.

I do box jumps, verticals, and hurdle jumps. Sometimes I do the depth versions of these (drop from a height, then jump with as little time on the ground as possible).

I know Louie Simmons makes his boys use them, for what thats worth. I know he uses/says a ton of shit but he seems to like seated box jumps and seated broad jumps as well as weighted jumps. I really think these help with my deadlifts and probably squats too

[quote]VTTrainer wrote:
I know Louie Simmons makes his boys use them, for what thats worth. I know he uses/says a ton of shit but he seems to like seated box jumps and seated broad jumps as well as weighted jumps. I really think these help with my deadlifts and probably squats too[/quote]

I might experiment with doing that from different heights. I’ll start with a height that puts my hips at just below parallel and one that puts them in a similar position as I pull in. Maybe get the same benefits, but more specifically tailored to the comp lifts I hope.

Here’s an article by Louie Simmons talking about the jumps Phil Harrington used to break a world record squat:
http://www.westside-barbell.com/articles/strong-legs/
There’s some videos on YouTube of a seminar where he shows some of the jumps he does. They’re in one of StormtheBeach’s threads here.