T Nation

Who USED to be a Hardgainer?

Yeah everyone can make some progress but i equate it to playing instruments. If you;re talented it comes naturally and effortlessly. You just “do it”, it makes sense.

If you’re not talented you’ll spend years taking lessons and advice in an effort to be marginally as good as the natural will be in a fraction of the time.

That’s the truth. So yes, anyone can improve but that’s just half the story.

Also i agree with not getting into the negative mindset but being overly optimistic is also detrimental because you’ll ignore the obvious. Also equally bad.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

(And yes, I thought I was a hardgainer too… until I stopped running 15 miles every week, then I suddenly made some gains… weird coincidence)

S
[/quote]

I just had to chime in on this. A youth leader of mine from back in the day approached me, telling me his bench press hadn’t increased at all, in ONE YEAR! I was like wtf?

He then told me he loves to run, that he run’s 5 miles a day.

He didn’t even consider that could be holding him back until I told him.

IME a lot of the “hardgainers” are the guys that are very physically active, burning massive amounts of calories throughout the day, and so obviously have trouble gaining weight.

Hardgainer is like the term big boned for fat people.

I was 110 lbs when I started lifting after my sophomore year of High School. I’ve just started competing in powerlifting in the 220s (may take the voyage up to 242 soon). I’ve got lousy genes and have never used drugs (no offense to those who do, just trying to eliminate it from people’s excuses). I started off barely benching the bar and just repped 315 10 times.

If you are skinny and weak get off your ass and do something about it. Life doesn’t make you into anything you yourself don’t allow.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Hardgainer is like the term big boned for fat people.

I was 110 lbs when I started lifting after my sophomore year of High School. I’ve just started competing in powerlifting in the 220s (may take the voyage up to 242 soon). I’ve got lousy genes and have never used drugs (no offense to those who do, just trying to eliminate it from people’s excuses). I started off barely benching the bar and just repped 315 10 times.

If you are skinny and weak get off your ass and do something about it. Life doesn’t make you into anything you yourself don’t allow.[/quote]

On the contrary your genetics are quite good. Give your “gift” a little more credit.

[quote]matsm21 wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
i can close grip 245x6

rackpull 545x5 from below the knee

i pulled 425x7 off the floor with no straps DOH a couple months ago

but i still consider myself a hardgainer

right now my numbers are going up a lot faster than my size. ive been putting up the pounds week after week but no weight on the frame, sucks.

Try to make a big change…rep range, volume, or find a way to get a ridiculous amount of cals. in. Every time I stall I go extreme on one of those and I pull right through.
[/quote]

i usually do 2 sets of 6-8 or 10-12 to failure per muscle group, legs being different - i did a 42 rep drop set last night - but ive been adding in some high rep finisher stuff at the end of my workouts, more about the blood flow than the weight.

i think getting food down is my hardest part. sometimes i just dont feel hungry… but on that note im gonna go out n try n get an omlette. wish i could get an omlette and a guiness but owell.

yea, me too with the food thing. I’ve been drinking 2% milk instead of water during the day lately, and trying the shot of olive oil just to get enough cals. BTW 42 rep drop set?? thats pretty badass

I have a fast metabolism, but I was always decent sized.

I used to eat a shitload of food and was constantly hungry, I mean like 45 minutes after eating I would want to eat agian.

I played alot of sports and hence stayed pretty lean despite a 5000-6000 calorie per day diet.

I was pretty much stuck at a lean 185 no matter how much I ate until I graduated from highschool.

When I stopped playing so many sports and my activity level dropped a bit, I started to hit them gym harder, as it was my main activity now.

I put on weight really quickly after that up to 205 or so.

I got stuck there, and a few years later at 210 I started cycling.

Went up as high as 260 for a while and have been low single digit bodyfat at 215-220, now resting comfortably at a nice lean 240.

I think I look better at 240 and 8-9% than at 215 and 5-6%.

Being low bodyfat is miserable, girls love it, but god it sucks.

I was a hardgainer until I found this site and started counting kcals.

Kind of regretful in retrospect, since an extra 15-20lbs might just have extended my hoops career past the high school/AAU level.

I do believe that muscle gaining is 40% of training and 60% of recovery. Gotta eat healthy and high calories (not excessive). IMO, 400~500 calories more than what you need is a great starting-point. Then, you can juggle with that by eating more/less later.
After I figured it out, my body fat went 2% lower, and gained 20lbs more muscle within 3 months. I hope it helps!

I really fucked up for some time. I started at 135, and after about some years wasn’t higher than 155. Then I started to take things seriously, it is THAT simple; when I really ate, lifted as heavy as I could and slept properly I went from 165 to 215-220.

[quote]matsm21 wrote:
yea, me too with the food thing. I’ve been drinking 2% milk instead of water during the day lately, and trying the shot of olive oil just to get enough cals. BTW 42 rep drop set?? thats pretty badass[/quote]

i did the olive oil shots for a few days but i drink a lot of shakes and quite honestly the shots do not sit well with them, in fact i dont think theres anything a shotglass full of olive oil DOES sit well with.

even with that being said i think im going to go do a shot of it now since im about to train and fats are always good for trying to lift heavier.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
matsm21 wrote:
…and fats are always good for trying to lift heavier.[/quote]

WTF? Is that sarcasm or are you serious?

[quote]dankid wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
matsm21 wrote:
…and fats are always good for trying to lift heavier.

[/quote]

im serious.

fats are good for joint and tendon maitenence - or so ive heard. plus just about everybody whos been doing this for some time will tell ya, if youve been stalling try to add in some more fats.

see how many of the worlds strongest guys have tunafish and turkey breast as staples in their diet.

matsm21 wrote:
yea, me too with the food thing. I’ve been drinking 2% milk instead of water during the day lately, and trying the shot of olive oil just to get enough cals. BTW 42 rep drop set?? thats pretty badass

i did the olive oil shots for a few days but i drink a lot of shakes and quite honestly the shots do not sit well with them, in fact i dont think theres anything a shotglass full of olive oil DOES sit well with.

even with that being said i think im going to go do a shot of it now since im about to train and fats are always good for trying to lift heavier.[/quote]

I also have begun drinking the olive oil and it seems to be going good.I take a full shot when i get home from gym with my protien shake and i put acouple table spoons of it on my cottage cheese that i eat at work,its miserable

i lied, i didnt do the shot.

i drank a glass of milk, coughed - like i usually do - and some of it came back up, so i decided itd be best not to overdo it.

dankid wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
matsm21 wrote:
…and fats are always good for trying to lift heavier.

im serious.

fats are good for joint and tendon maitenence - or so ive heard. plus just about everybody whos been doing this for some time will tell ya, if youve been stalling try to add in some more fats.

see how many of the worlds strongest guys have tunafish and turkey breast as staples in their diet.[/quote]

Eating a diet with a considerable amount of fat is an easy way to get calories down…don’t see what’s wrong with Live’s original post

Fats are definitely good, but are you talking about a pre-workout fat meal? Along the same lines of some pre-workout supplement?

I used to think I was a hard gainer too, didn’t realize I would need 4500 cals/day to grow.

Anymore that’s an easy day to do, but years ago, I couldn’t have imagine eating this much.

Also, while many may say they have a fast metabolism, I for one know I do. I’ve tested it and compared with around 100 other people, pound for pound I was tied with only one other person with the highest.

I started with the high dosing of fish oils when I developed some chronic inflammation in my right forearm. PT didn’t help (exercises, muscle stim, lasers, heat treatments…), but fish oils did. Then I noticed something weird… not only did my joints feel better, but I looked tighter, and my muscles were fuller. When I dieted a bit a few months later, I seemed to hold on to more LBM than before (hmnn cutting carbs, but a higher intake of healthy fats… novel idea -lol). If only there was a different term for dietary fats, too many people think dietary fat = body fat.

S

thats cool Stu, ive never noticed any physique changes from fats though. honestly i feel like through most of my training career ive kept the same appearance, just added more but like my lean-ness never really went up too far or down except for a couple times and then they fluctuated back to normal.