Who to Listen To? Hip to Catch Position

So I’m looking at some guys showing technique for snatching, and they seem to contradict each other.

So theres Jon North teaching the Hip & Catch position in this video: Jon North teaching his "Hit and Catch" drill!! - YouTube (skip to 1:28 if you want).

But then I watch another video with Nick Horton: Kauai Snatch Clinic - Part 1 - YouTube

and at 1:58 he seemingly completely contradicts Jon North and shows another way of doing it at 2:30

So… whats the correct way of doing it?

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
So… whats the correct way of doing it?
[/quote]

Whichever way allows you to lift more weight over the course of your lifting lifetime.

I don’t think they’re too far apart actually. They’re just using different cues and different drills to get their point across. Jon doesn’t look like he’s swinging the bar and I think he uses that drill especially with beginners to really emphasize getting the bar into the hips and forcefully extending the hips at that point. Actually, just look at the shoulder position relative to the bar for each of them.

Jon doesnt actually do that he says in the video whens he actually lifting weights. Like Jonty said hes just trying to emphasize the bar into his hips.

Did you watch Nick Horton’s whole video? He describes you at 3:15 and describes why he’s instructing you the way he is.
Jon is doing a drill, Nick is trying to walk beginners through the whole thing to understand the entire lift.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
Did you watch Nick Horton’s whole video? He describes you at 3:15 and describes why he’s instructing you the way he is.
Jon is doing a drill, Nick is trying to walk beginners through the whole thing to understand the entire lift.[/quote]

Yeah he said coaches say ‘bump the bar with the hips’, but he specifically said to not bump it horizontally which will make it go in an arc, which is exactly what Jon did. Hence the question.

JNs explanation is stupid? We all get it, but it’s stupid. Your best bet is to find an actual coach to watch you lift.

Extension is the key to making the lifts. If you extend and the bar is as close as it should be you should make contact. Any horizontal movement is wasted movement. You are looking for maximum verticlicity (I want to trademark that word). Don’t get it twisted, the bar will never move in a perfectly straight line, but the closer you can get to straight up, the more weight will go up. Generally, If you jump forward or land on your toes the bar swung too far out. Watching vids is always helpful, but the cues don’t always apply to what you may or may not be doing.

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
Jon is doing a drill, Nick is trying to walk beginners through the whole thing to understand the entire lift.[/quote]

Yeah he said coaches say ‘bump the bar with the hips’, but he specifically said to not bump it horizontally which will make it go in an arc, which is exactly what Jon did. Hence the question.

[/quote]

He said more than that. He specifically said it’s a lie. Coaches and advanced athletes only tell you that to get beginners to understand the concept of hip force. If you are trying to learn the snatch I would listen to Nick’s video, if you’re trying to develop the power and drill I would do the one from Jon’s video. They say the same thing Jon is just explaining about the power needed at through the hips. Nick is trying to teach a person how to do the complete exercise.

Screw explanations

Just watch this vid (particularly the slow mode)

She makes it simple

If you have any questions let me know

That’s a great video. Did anybody else catch that ankle movement/flexibility? Impressive.