Who to Hire to Help with My Diet?

i believe that my diet is the only thing that could really need an assessment. i’ve been keeping track of what i’ve been eating now everyday. i was thinking about hiring a sports nutritionist or dietician (dietician’s are registered) but then a pretty articulate bodybuilder at my supplement store told me that it would be best to work with an experienced bodybuilder or trainer who has trained bodybuilder–and at one time or another was also a bodybuilder themselves.

he feel they are the only people that understand nutrition for bodybuilding. what do you think. and how do i find someone like this. i’m in Toronto. i’ve tried doing searches and the “professionals” have these slick website and stuff…

A few days ago I read an article in the paper here which had been written by a local dietician. Therein I learned:

• Dramatic reductions in carbohydrate intake will cause one’s body to break down the heart and other internal organs in order to manufacture carbohydrates.

• Carbohydrates play no role in weight gain.

• Carbohydrate intake does not cause blood sugar to ‘spike’ or ‘surge’.

• Carbohydrates have no role in the development of diabetes, heart disease, or cancer.

• Fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and all dairy products are carbohydrate rich foods.

• Weight gain / loss is solely a function of caloric intake, the source of the calories is irrelevant.

• Potatoes are a very healthy food, they only become unhealthy if toppings are added.

Said dietician’s picture appeared along with the article. She was, of course, a whale. Doubtless another case of bad genetics.

But seriously, you’d consider paying for advice from that sort when this is about par for the course?

That is upto you… They would achieve different things… do you want a bodybuilders diet?

A Nutritionist (at least the ones i have met) will not give you a diet to get you to a dry 6% as it isn’t “healthy”. They are more likely to give you a rainbow spectrum of coloured veggies and fruits, plenty of lentils, pulses, nuts, seeds, avocado, goji(sp) berries etc… Lean meats as a minimum and wholegrains sparingly too…

A successful bodybuilder would be a good person to advise you on that specific diet, and that may well suit your aims - even if you never intend to compete.

Just my 2 pence. (no-one seemed to want to touch this one!)

Joe

My suggestions would be:

Justin Harris

John Berardi

Team Skip

All three of these have worked with high level bodybuilders and are successful nutrition coaches. Oh, and all three have competed as BB’ers themselves as well.

I think Sento gave the best practical advice, but if I may be a smartass…

I just don’t think this diet shit is very complicated. Boring, requiring a certain amount of diligence, yeah. I think it just takes sacking up and doing what you already know you need to.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
My suggestions would be:

Justin Harris

John Berardi

Team Skip

All three of these have worked with high level bodybuilders and are successful nutrition coaches. Oh, and all three have competed as BB’ers themselves as well.[/quote]

You beat me to it. I second this advice.

Colette Nelson (www.colettenelson.com) who happens to be both a registered dietitian (RD) and an Olympia competitor. Or, Lonnie Lowery, who happens to be an RD and an NPC competitor who is fuckin’ huge!

However, do not go to most RDs, most of whom have NO idea how to get in BB shape and think that anyone who ingests >0.8 - 1 g pro/kg is going to wind up strapped to a dialysis unit.
I happen to be an RD, by the way.

[quote]newrobb wrote:
i believe that my diet is the only thing that could really need an assessment. [/quote]

So you could find all the info you needed on exercise and programming but not the basics on nutrition?

I second Berardi as the best source of nutrition info to reach BBing goals without throwing health to the wind. His Precision Nutrition is a great program and Gourmet Nutrition has some good recipes.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
However, do not go to most RDs, most of whom have NO idea how to get in BB shape and think that anyone who ingests >0.8 - 1 g pro/kg is going to wind up strapped to a dialysis unit.
I happen to be an RD, by the way. [/quote]

Yeah… that was my experience… lol!