T Nation

Who? The Who

One of the few bands to rival Led Zepp in the 60’s and 70’s.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuVffu0YCa8

One of the few bands to rival Led Zepp in the 60’s and 70’s.[/quote]

Aint that the truth. My mom is/was a die hard The Who fan.

The Who and Led Zep threads at the same time. Kick ass.

I hate the Who.

Comparing them to Zep should be a felony offense.

Probably the single worst set of vocals in music history.

I saw them live at Alltel last week, and they kicked ass. I’ve never been a huge Who fan, but I took my brother as a birthday present for him, and they totally converted me.

It might have been the best live show I’ve seen, despite Daltry’s battling bronchitis or whatever it was.

I’ve always dug The Who. Who are you and Baba O’Riley are favorites.

D

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I hate the Who.

Comparing them to Zep should be a felony offense.

Probably the single worst set of vocals in music history.[/quote]

Who the fuck are you to knock the Who. I really want to know. Who are you? Who, Who…Who Who…

And Who the hell invited your Who hating ass?

My favorite Who song…

Dustin

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I hate the Who.

Comparing them to Zep should be a felony offense.

Probably the single worst set of vocals in music history.[/quote]

I see where you’re coming from, but they were actually more recognized in their prime than Zep. The Who got much more radio play than Zep. And let’s fact it, women loved Daltry

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I hate the Who.

Comparing them to Zep should be a felony offense.

Probably the single worst set of vocals in music history.[/quote]

I like some of the early mod stuff they did, but would not compare them to Led Zeppelin, at least not favourably.

Black Sabbath on the other hand, the more I listen to the more I realise just how brilliant Tony Iommi’s arrangements are and how great they were/are. Looking forward to seeing them with Dio later in the year! Amusingly, John Bonham used to called them Deep Sabbath.

[quote]BigRagoo wrote:

I see where you’re coming from, but they were actually more recognized in their prime than Zep. The Who got much more radio play than Zep.[/quote]

Why do you think that is? I guess some of it may have had to do with Zeppelin’s propensity to write songs that are/were considered too long for radio airplay. I also wonder if the Rolling Stone magazine “blacklisting” of Zeppelin carried over into the media/radio area as well?

Dustin

[quote]Dustin wrote:
BigRagoo wrote:

I see where you’re coming from, but they were actually more recognized in their prime than Zep. The Who got much more radio play than Zep.

Why do you think that is? I guess some of it may have had to do with Zeppelin’s propensity to write songs that are/were considered too long for radio airplay. I also wonder if the Rolling Stone magazine “blacklisting” of Zeppelin carried over into the media/radio area as well?

Dustin

[/quote]

Their length of songs did play a part of not getting air time, but also, they were known to be a bit animalistic. They would play in smaller venues and get buck wild. Not that The Who didn’t do their fair share of wild stuff on stage, but Zep was regarded like Metallica was before the Black album.

Plus Zep didn’t write material that necessarily reflected the times like The Who and other rockers at the time.

[quote]BigRagoo wrote:
Dustin wrote:
BigRagoo wrote:

I see where you’re coming from, but they were actually more recognized in their prime than Zep. The Who got much more radio play than Zep.

Why do you think that is? I guess some of it may have had to do with Zeppelin’s propensity to write songs that are/were considered too long for radio airplay. I also wonder if the Rolling Stone magazine “blacklisting” of Zeppelin carried over into the media/radio area as well?

Dustin

Their length of songs did play a part of not getting air time, but also, they were known to be a bit animalistic. They would play in smaller venues and get buck wild. Not that The Who didn’t do their fair share of wild stuff on stage, but Zep was regarded like Metallica was before the Black album.

Plus Zep didn’t write material that necessarily reflected the times like The Who and other rockers at the time. [/quote]

On their wild side, I read a book on Zep a few years back maybe it was Hammer of the God’s, I don’t remember. But it was said that Bonzo and their manager, Peter Grant were a bit bully like and kinda unjustly roughed more then a few people up and made a lot of enemies.

D

[quote]Dustin wrote:
BigRagoo wrote:

I see where you’re coming from, but they were actually more recognized in their prime than Zep. The Who got much more radio play than Zep.

Why do you think that is? I guess some of it may have had to do with Zeppelin’s propensity to write songs that are/were considered too long for radio airplay. I also wonder if the Rolling Stone magazine “blacklisting” of Zeppelin carried over into the media/radio area as well?

Dustin
[/quote]

I think it had more to do with them only doing album releases, with only one or two exceptions in the US (if memory serves me right).

Rock n roll!

Yeah!!!

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuVffu0YCa8

One of the few bands to rival Led Zepp in the 60’s and 70’s.[/quote]

just to be picky…i know their first record was 1969 but zeppelin is really a 70’s band. that whole 60’s vibe was really over after woodstock and zeppelin didn’t really didn’t blow it all open until their 4th record in 71. then they just owned everything.

the who, on the other hand, are firmly rooted in the 60’s having been through the mod phase that zeppelin never saw. i think zeppelin owe a good bit the who; there was never before a band that showed the kind of power that they did. the who broke the ground that zeppelin later paved. jimmy page dug the who enough to want to nab entwistle and keith moon for his post-yardbirds group with jeff beck.

[quote]Dedicated wrote:

On their wild side, I read a book on Zep a few years back maybe it was Hammer of the God’s, I don’t remember. But it was said that Bonzo and their manager, Peter Grant were a bit bully like and kinda unjustly roughed more then a few people up and made a lot of enemies.

D[/quote]

Yeah, I’ve read that book and some accounts of Zeppelin’s wild side, especially off stage.

I seem to recall reading an account of a situation involving a fish and a umm…red snapper.

Although Plant (if I remember correctly) neither confirms or denies this story. :slight_smile:

Dustin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3sGf4lbc_k

Another Good’n

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuVffu0YCa8

One of the few bands to rival Led Zepp in the 60’s and 70’s.[/quote]

I agree with you the Who and Led Zeppelin were two great bands but the list could go on a long way. Those were the good old days of Sex Drugs and Rock and Roll

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3sGf4lbc_k

Another Good’n[/quote]

I wonder if that video was an old American Band Stand