T Nation

Who Taught You the Most?

CT, I know you were coached by Pierre Roy, gave conferences with Charles Poliquin and are a huge fan of old school training. In your opinion whose work did you benefit the most from, who taught you the most about how to train for performance and aesthetics? Thank you.

[quote]bro1989 wrote:
CT, I know you were coached by Pierre Roy, gave conferences with Charles Poliquin and are a huge fan of old school training. In your opinion whose work did you benefit the most from, who taught you the most about how to train for performance and aesthetics? Thank you.[/quote]

First my original mentor (who nobody knows because he is not someone who tried to market himself) Jean Boutet who basically laid my foundation of beliefs (minimal exercise selection, focusing on the big lifts and drilling them over and over).

I worked very briefly with Pierre Roy, he did help me understand olympic lifting technique better, but I can’t say that he has been a huge influence on my training style.

One of the old-timers that I learned the most from is Doug Hepburn who also did very few basic exercises (5-6 total exercises) and lots of sets of those exercises (14-16 sets).

As for training methods, Jean-Pierre Eager and Jurgen Weineck.

Awesome, CT! Thank you very much.

I would have assumed Marvin Eder to have been an influence on you.

[quote]bro1989 wrote:
Awesome, CT! Thank you very much.

I would have assumed Marvin Eder to have been an influence on you.[/quote]

For some reason, he wasn’t… never read much about him.

Buyt to be honest I take my inspiration and knowledge from many many many various sources, so it is hard to be a PERSON that influenced me… hundreds of people’s work gave me ideas, but few influenced me with their body of work.

I hear what you are saying, and I agree this makes the most sense. Too often I see people kinda pick a guru or two and simply do whatever they say is best. Looking at the whole picture (nervous system, physiology, biomechanics, anatomy, skelettal system, old school systems, recent scientific research, etc.) is optimal, and then finding out for yourself what makes sense under which specific circumstances.