T Nation

Who Still Uses Glutamine?

After David Barr’s articals on NO2 sups and glutamine who on here still suppliments with glutamine? I used to, but i haven’t used any for about 2 years. NO real reason, i just stopped using it.

La’
Redsol1

I’m sure I’ll get a hardtime from some persons, like last time I mentioned it but…

I still use glutamine.

Am I expecting rapid recovery and huge gains off it? Nah.

I use it for growth hormone output and acid neutralization mostly.

I’d point out that David Barr also mentions that it can be more useful for persons on a low-carb diet. I am currently fat fasting and taking 20 g a day, in 5 g doses. When I resume my normal eating pattern, which is still low-carb to most of you(paleolithic in style), I’ll be going back to using just 10 g a day.

So, what’s the difference between glutamine and l-glutamine?

[quote]michaelv wrote:
So, what’s the difference between glutamine and l-glutamine?[/quote]

they’re the same thing. techically, it’s l-glutamine but some people just call it glutamine.

I don’t think that there’s any difference between L-Glutamine and Glutamine. I have some Glutamine, but I rarely use it as I’m bulking right now and my whey protein has a bit extra in it. Maybe come cuttin’ time I’ll start supplementing with it, but right now it seems like a big waste of crappy tasting powder.

I’ll speak up for it. I Just started using glutamine and have “felt” the benefits already. Has it put 20lbs of mass on me in the last 3 weeks? No. I have been using it for the benefits it has on the gut. I have noticed diegestion has been a lot better. Also, its not that expensive if you shop around and buy a large amount. 1000g for $27 is the best I have found.

[quote]redsol1 wrote:
After David Barr’s articals on NO2 sups and glutamine who on here still suppliments with glutamine?

La’
Redsol1[/quote]

Anyone who drinks Surge. It’s in there.

[quote]Atreides wrote:
Anyone who drinks Surge. It’s in there.
[/quote]

Very true, but I meant supplimentation above and beyond glutamine that is already in protein suppliments.

SOrry, guess i should have specified.

la’
Redsol1

I use glutamine. Helps ward off the common cold. I use BCAA’s too.

l-glutamine is an optical isomer of d-glutamine. All natural amino acids are (l) levator. Whereas d-isomers (dextro) can be made synthetically. When the label states glutamine then you probably have a racemic mixture of d and l glutamine. I dont know what difference they would make biologically however.

I thought the Barr article was in reference to arginine not glutamine? I may be wrong though!

[quote]Snoop wrote:
l-glutamine is an optical isomer of d-glutamine. All natural amino acids are (l) levator. Whereas d-isomers (dextro) can be made synthetically. When the label states glutamine then you probably have a racemic mixture of d and l glutamine. I dont know what difference they would make biologically however.

I thought the Barr article was in reference to arginine not glutamine? I may be wrong though! [/quote]

I don’t think the D- formation of any organic molecule is usable by humans.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

i’ve also read that l-glutamine promotes good intestinal and colon health.

I’ve been using it for a little while now with my PW shakes, and I don’t notice any number changes much in my workouts or even body comp changes, but I do notice that I don’t get sick, or if I do, I have barely a symptom for a day, then it’s gone.

I think taking it for health benefits is enough for me. If it can help me gain extra workouts from not being sick, I think it’s worth taking, especially since it’s so cheap.

Theres some in the tub of BCAAs i havent finished yet…

I got a bottle of GNC brand l-glutamine. I had it from back when I was tryin to quit smoking, cause I heard it helped with that.

I mix it in addition to smoothies and gravies or sauces.

Good stuff actually.

The effect of glutamine on prevention of glucocorticoid-induced skeletal muscle atrophy is associated with myostatin suppression.

* Salehian B,
* Mahabadi V,
* Bilas J,
* Taylor WE,
* Ma K.

“Excess glucocorticoids (GCs) cause muscle atrophy. Glucocorticoid-induced muscle atrophy is associated with increased intramuscular myostatin expression. Myostatin is a negative regulator of skeletal muscle mass. Glutamine prevents GC-induced muscle atrophy. We hypothesized that glutamine effect on reversal of GC-induced muscle atrophy is mediated in part by suppression of myostatin.

Administration of glutamine partially prevents GC-induced myostatin expression and muscle atrophy, providing a potential mechanism for the prevention of muscle atrophy induced by glucocorticoids.”

what do u guys think?