T Nation

Who Still Buys CDs?

Does anyone on this board still buy cd’s or does everyone download music now? My friends look at me like I’m an idiot when I buy cd’s these days…these people complain when their favorite artists don’t release new material…

over the last year I’ve bought around 250 cds, Amazon.com makes it easy for me to get the cds I’m after as it is harder to find some artists in Australia, also to buy cds off amazon it works out cheaper for me with the strong $AUS…

so does anyone here buy cd’s anymore? what were the last cd’s you picked up and how long ago did you purchase them??

I buy all my music, mostly from iTunes. Although since getting a better pair of headphones(substantially better) the difference between compressed audio is starting to become more and more noticeable(and take away from the listening)

Still, the convenience, selection, and price, make iTunes hard to pass up.

[quote]jtg987 wrote:
Does anyone on this board still buy cd’s or does everyone download music now? My friends look at me like I’m an idiot when I buy cd’s these days…these people complain when their favorite artists don’t release new material…

over the last year I’ve bought around 250 cds, Amazon.com makes it easy for me to get the cds I’m after as it is harder to find some artists in Australia, also to buy cds off amazon it works out cheaper for me with the strong $AUS…

so does anyone here buy cd’s anymore? what were the last cd’s you picked up and how long ago did you purchase them??[/quote]

I still buy them, but rarely–only if it’s a band I care about. Most of the ones I’ve bought recently have been re-buys of ones that were stolen or damaged. I usually go to amazon.com, too.

So far this year I have re-bought Acid Bath “When the Kite String Pops”, Agents of Oblivion, and the soundtrack to the movie BRAINSCAN.

I never download and rarely buy music, but when I do I buy the CDs. Good lord, I need to see what else is out there because the latest music I bought was Avenged Sevenfold’s newest album last year(which I’m sorry to say is just ok).

I have slowed down considerably, but still buy maybe 20 a year through BMG, which works out to $4-6 each.

I do most of my downloads off of emusic.com for obscure stuff or archive.org for free live stuff.

I still buy CDs… through BMG as well, along with Amazon, CD Baby, CD Now, etc. The last thing I bought (a month ago) was Tommy Conwell and the Young Rumblers’ album, “Rumble”. I’ve been going through a nostalgia recently.

I download only when there’s a single song I want. The thing I hate about iTunes is I can’t share a song with a friend via email (unless I give them my iTunes password… which I’m not into doing).

Good question…
I stopped buying CDs a few years ago
I download the songs I like from eMule.

I get all my CDs from the library and just burn a copy.

I buy CDs. Not many, but I don’t download. I don’t like ITunes as a proprietary system, but I’m a fan of the mp3 format as it’s free and allows you to archive your catalogue and preserve your CDs.

I still buy CDs, although I don’t buy much in the way of modern music these days. I rarely download songs off of iTunes.

I only buy select bands that I really care for. The record labels and stores have been fucking people over for YEARS (why should I have to pay $18.99 for Metallica’s Master Of Puppets when I bought it years ago brand new on tape, and it’s still the same product, just on different format?) and because of the Napster revolution, people are able to get back at them for being unwilling to deal with their customers.

People shouldn’t be expected to pay more for the same product on a different format just because the old format is going obsolete, IMO. Record labels and retailers said NO to fans that wanted to trade their tapes in for a new CD copy of the same album. That was years ago. Looks like Karma’s a bitch, ain’t it?

sorry about the rant. I download, but I do buy a few cd’s of bands that I like.

I buy cds. Why the hell would I not want to own a physical product, rather than simply a digital image of one.

With my nice cd, I can play it in my car, rip it to my pc, play it on my mp3 player and also play it on my hifi.

I also own some cassette tapes of weird old stuff that isn’t available elsewhere, along with a few LPs.

I don’t understand the argument for not paying for a product though, even if it is music produced by “evil” record companies.

I haven’t purchased a CD in about 8 years now. It amazes me that WalMart is still America’s #1 music retailer. Who the hell buys CDs at WalMart?? I guess the white trash have to buy their country crap somewhere and they’re too poor to own an iMac.

[quote]sumgai wrote:
I haven’t purchased a CD in about 8 years now. It amazes me that WalMart is still America’s #1 music retailer. Who the hell buys CDs at WalMart?? I guess the white trash have to buy their country crap somewhere and they’re too poor to own an iMac.[/quote]

You judgmental asshole. Who in the fuck do you think you are making statements like that? Are you that fucking brave in person? Somehow I doubt it.

Nothing worse than internet bigots and chicken shits.

I buy CD’s. I buy from WalMart, Best Buy, Target, or just about anywhere.

I rip them to my computer, and put the original up. I have only bought one CD from iTunes.

I only buy CDs, I love them.

-dizzle

Second buying the CD only from bands that you support.

Unfortunately, there are more incentives to buy DL’s then actual jewel case CD’s…

Except Bass Communion, They are just masterpieces…

I buy way too many CDs, all the damn time. MP3s sound like shit, though I’ll get the occasional song or album from emusic.com since their tastes are much more in line with mine than Itunes.

My last trip:
Sky Blue Sky by Wilco
It Still Moves by My Morning Jacket
Lonesome, On’ry and Mean by Waylon Jennings
Live at the Apollo by James Brown

its good too see some people still buy cd’s, I’d list all the cd’s ive bought in the last year but it’d just be a waste of time…the reason I started buying albums was I got sick and tired of the quality of albums I was downloading from sites like album base, also i enjoy reading through the booklets…I also wanted to start a cd collection with cd’s and artists I enjoy

pretty much the last couple of albums i got were

• the ugk collection
  • joe budden - mood musik 3
  • az - 9 lives, aziatic
  • devin the dude presents the coughee brothers
  • cormega - the testament, the true meaning
  • killah priest - heavy mental
  • inspectah deck - uncontrolled substances
  • beanie sigels collection(I’ve been sleeping on him up until recently)
  • memphis bleeks collection

also I’ve bought cd’s from the following artists sheek louch, lil wayne, styles p, ghetto boys, scarface, z-ro, trae, abn, guerilla maab, majority of wu-tang releases, devin the dude, jay-z, nas, common, talib kweli, mos def, boot camp click, dizzee rascal, india arie, john legend, redman

theres others but thats who i can think of off the top of my head, as you can already tell its pretty much a rap cd collection

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
Second buying the CD only from bands that you support.[/quote]

Yeah. Buy the CD, so a poor musician can eat some food, whydontcha?