Who Smith Machine Squats?

Whao, please tell me I’ve fallen down a rabbit hole or something. Is this the “evil twin” version of T-Muscle?

Smith machine is an expensive coat rack, period.

Ok, you can use it for a couple of things like bench throws, isometrics, but doing any kind of movements with a range of motion on it is sure to fuck up your movement pattern big time, and may lead to overuse injuries in the joints and soft tissues. Look up Paul Chek Pattern Overload articles and Eric Cressey’s 10 Uses for a Smith Machine (not sure about the correct title) here on T-Muscle.

A semi-good solution for the exercises mentionned would be using a dumbbell variation instead of a barbell one.

[quote]Short Hoss wrote:
I had to rely on a Smith for squats. I like to go ass to calves, and eventually it caused me continual ankle pain (I think to due to overstretching my achilles tendon).

The Smith fucked my form all up.[/quote]

Yes the smith machine alters the normal path you would tend to squat since it naturally isn’t straight up and down. You can seriously injure yourself squatting with a smith machine, I’d save it for calfs. That’s about all it’s good for in my eyes.

I’m not a fan of the smith machine (which seems like a mandatory statement that must be said to save face on this site) but I do use it for partial close grip presses, and reverse grip triceps presses.

you know who smith squats?

Bryce Brandon. thats right motherfucker, check the plates.

don’t use the smith machine at all. ESPECIALLY for the split squats, those create an excellent amount of stability throughout your entire leg. I have faith you can do without it.

i use the smith machine for barbell shrugs because we only have one rack at my gym and it seems to make enough sense, and ive been seeing great results. but thats the only thing i use it for.

I actually like using it for squats. I always involve way to much lower back when I do free weight squats. I can put up some pretty good numbers doing free squats but the next day it’s my lower back that’s sore and not my quads. I also notice very little growth.

With smith squats I completely take my back out of the equation and all the stress is completely on the legs, works much better IMO.

Wow. Both sides of this argument fail.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
Wow. Both sides of this argument fail.[/quote]

wow. what a great post!!!

I use it for shrugs and reverse grip benches, but that’s about it. I think front squats might be ok in the Smith, but I’ve never tried any sort of squat in that machine.

IMO it has it’s place. I have had great leg workouts on a smith. But I feel it should never replace regular squats for more than a couple weeks. It’s a good finisher for quads.

I only use the smith machine for behind the neck presses. I felt that when I started to go heavy using a bb doing them, my form suffered and was putting me at risk of an injury ( found myself tilting my head forward when lowering the bar)

I find my form is much better using the smith machine and also have more confidence when using it as I’m less worried about picking up an injury.

back/front squats for low rep ranges.

smith for high rep ranges/widowmaker/sissys/super close feet heels elevated/ect.

a smith should not alter your back squat form, its virtually two different movements. Especially if you dont stop doing back squats.

ive near blacked out pushing widow maker sets. ducking out from a smith with the pegs set or even unset is way more safer for yourself and those around you (spotters) than having a barbell fly off your back.

squats are key to keeping a safe mechanical body and great mass builders, but from a BB standpoint, sled squat and leg press is superior.

i love the smith machine and that hammmerzzzz strength leg press thingy that looks like a space ship. both are right next to the power rack. the hammerzzz strength contraption has all these little steps on it to get to the top of that damn thing. each step is dedicated to a piece of equipment. i have my chalk on one, my water bottle on another, and my training log on another.

the smith machine is perfect for draping my knee wraps, wrist wraps and belt across.

thes machines are perfect. my gear never has to touch the floor.

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
i love the smith machine and that hammmerzzzz strength leg press thingy that looks like a space ship. both are right next to the power rack. the hammerzzz strength contraption has all these little steps on it to get to the top of that damn thing. each step is dedicated to a piece of equipment. i have my chalk on one, my water bottle on another, and my training log on another.

the smith machine is perfect for draping my knee wraps, wrist wraps and belt across.

thes machines are perfect. my gear never has to touch the floor. [/quote]

Confess your sins.

(what, you were drunk and accidentally mistook the smith for a bench rack?)

:slight_smile:

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
maraudermeat wrote:

thes machines are perfect. my gear never has to touch the floor.

Confess your sins.

[/quote]

okay…okay… i have used… uhhh… machines. i’m not proud of it and i felt really dirty afterwards. the kind of dirty that no amount of water and soap can wash away.

to be fair… the last two aren’t the space ship thingy that takes up half of the weight room.

i really have no excuse for my use of the smith machine for the tricep movement. i would do it again… and only feel a little bad about myself.

for the record… i wouldn’t squat in one though… or at least i wouldn’t anymore. i can’t be held responsible for errors of my youth.

damn youtube videos…

I would use the smith for front and hack squat as finishers but never for standard squat.

I tried encorporating it for a change in the past but couldnt find a solid stance. Been in the mid 200kgs for reps in the past on free bar but could barely manage 180k for a few when i tried it on smith.

Definitely not a replacement for free bar in my experience.

lol at Maraudermeats post. Agreed

[quote]Zen warrior wrote:
Whao, please tell me I’ve fallen down a rabbit hole or something. Is this the “evil twin” version of T-Muscle?

Smith machine is an expensive coat rack, period.

Ok, you can use it for a couple of things like bench throws, isometrics, but doing any kind of movements with a range of motion on it is sure to fuck up your movement pattern big time, and may lead to overuse injuries in the joints and soft tissues. Look up Paul Chek Pattern Overload articles and Eric Cressey’s 10 Uses for a Smith Machine (not sure about the correct title) here on T-Muscle.

A semi-good solution for the exercises mentionned would be using a dumbbell variation instead of a barbell one. [/quote]

What’s wrong with doing both free weight and smith squats?

I guess some of you should go put Shelby Sternes in check. You guys have read some articles thus making you exercise and injury prevention gurus:D.

I’ll continue to do both free weight and smith squats. Cause they both work.

My problem with smith machine squats is that it puts your back in an unhealthy position. In the smith the bar travels in a straight line. While squating the bar will travel at some sort of a natural arc. In the smith you are basically moving AROUND the machine.

If you want subpar growth and increased injury risk go right ahead with smith machine squats I can think of 121,232,343.5 other exercises that are better.

[quote]BantamRunner wrote:
My problem with smith machine squats is that it puts your back in an unhealthy position. In the smith the bar travels in a straight line. While squating the bar will travel at some sort of a natural arc. In the smith you are basically moving AROUND the machine.

If you want subpar growth and increased injury risk go right ahead with smith machine squats I can think of 121,232,343.5 other exercises that are better.[/quote]

Smith squats don’t have to be differenet than regular. I don’t believe in this arc theory. In a free weight squat, the bar has to move straight up and down. If it didn’t, you would lose your balance and either fall forward or back.