Who Says You Can't Be Old & Hardcore

Great comeback. Everything is relative, and what you have recently accomplished is relatively HUGE compared to where you once were.

Just in case you haven’t figured it out, there may be a VERY STRONG link between exercise and cancer recovery.
Read; “Younger Next Year” by Chris Crowley. Human Kinetics also carries a book on exercise and cancer recovery.

Keep up the good work.

TNT

[quote]Getagrip wrote:
I’d like to add a little to this thread if I may. I’m 53, have been working out almost 20 years now. I’m 5’ 8" and 207 lbs. Prior to prostate cancer surgery 9 months ago, I was squatting parallel or below 365 for 5 sets of 5 and I would finish off with 20 reps of 225. My goal was to hit 405 which I never reached. Getting back to the prostate surgery, I lost 20 lbs in 6 weeks from not working out and felt very weak. When I returned to squating I could hardly squat 225 for 5. During the past 8 months my squat has gone up to 3 sets of 8 for 335 and my body weight is back to 207. I’m not bragging but just wanted to point out that setbacks can be overcome and is not the end of the world.

Rick [/quote]

Getagrip:

Plenty of guys in your position would have thrown in the towel. Great job in hanging in there and making a great comeback. You are a true T-man and it’s great to have you on this board!

Just read this post - actually just discovered this topic. Very good - turned 56 last November - still lift very heavy - strength has not diminished much but my endurance at any given weight has gone down. Been training for over 40 years - no point in stopping now. All the best

Fellow T-men:

I recently started training again after about an 18 year hiatus.

My all-time best bench in college was 205 for one rep (my arms have always been weak.)

Last month, on my first day back to see what I could do, I set myself down on the bench after 2 warm up sets and did 205 three times - on the first day.

I’m 43 now, and was working with my 19 year old son.

Now, I know that isn’t much, but for me, without training, to have been able to do that after 18 yrs…I still can’t believe it.

I am only posting this to let you know, anything really IS possible.

BTW, my job is pretty sedentary. No hard lifting at all.

Explanation? Like most of my life, I’m clueless. Good food, good woman, clean living. (I’m married to a lovely chef - my trophy wife)

Guys, nothing is impossible. I guess I am the poster child for that.