Who Says Golfers Aren't Strong?

[quote]grrrsauce wrote:
golferguy12 wrote:
shizen wrote:
In the strength forum I don’t know why people are bragging about average numbers like 400 dl 300ish squat and near 300 bench. If you want to brag at least have some decent numbers like 400-500 bench, 600-700 dl and squat.

Or you could try to post a strength routine for criticism which is fine. I’m just tired of these stupid threads like hey look I’m average.

So you want like 4 threads TOTAL?? Did you know its kinda difficult to bench 500???

But that’s the exact reason why people should only brag if they hit numbers like that…because its difficult.

It’s good that that’s your new PR and you should be proud that you are getting stronger, just don’t expect much of a pat on the back from this crowd if its a less than really difficult numbers.[/quote]

That is true, but its difficult to bench 300 as well. I just dont understnad people who TRY and bring people down. Cool, I cant bench 500, but I can almost bench 300, and compared to how I started, that is huge. I never would have imagined it.

I always try and make people feel confident, because EVERYONE, whether they bench 150 or 800 loves the feeling of making improvements, getting more confident in themselves and walking around the gym and feeling/looking stronger.

The point of this thread wasn’t for me to go “HEY I BENCH 290 IM HUGE” It was to just post the huge improvement I have made and I thought maybe my fellow lifters who enjoy hearing about others success’. I guess not.

[quote]baseball2277 wrote:
did you know that he has only been lifting real hard for about a year and a half and its all showing now, give him a lil longer and he will be there benching and squating that much give the kid a break and he is a college golfer so back off[/quote]

no, we should weed out these stupid threads

A 290 bench is still respectable regardless guys. I don’t know why ppl see the need to down on other’s accomplishments because they are not up to “par.”

Good job on the lift golferguy, your on your way to the 300lb club!!!

You’re right… Don’t fuck with Justin Rose!

All kidding aside, good job on the lifts (and for being a scratch golfer). But I think you being a scratch golfer, you know that technique and fundamentals a WAY more important than your physical shape. However, I’ll admit that ever since I started squatting, my distances are a lot higher. Literally, all my power comes from my legs.

When I swing I don’t even think about my upper body, mostly just the beginning of my backswing and shifting my weight.

I’m no scratch golfer, I’m a 10 handicap. But I’m 17 and on my way I suppose…

p.s. - All golfers should check out the following website. Best golf site on the web if you ask me:

www.bombsquadgolf.com

Oh and by the way, what college do you play for? I have a friend who plays for St. John’s. And there are people at my club who play for Duke and Georgia Tech.

[quote]Oblag wrote:
You’re right… Don’t fuck with Justin Rose!

All kidding aside, good job on the lifts (and for being a scratch golfer). But I think you being a scratch golfer, you know that technique and fundamentals a WAY more important than your physical shape. However, I’ll admit that ever since I started squatting, my distances are a lot higher. Literally, all my power comes from my legs.

When I swing I don’t even think about my upper body, mostly just the beginning of my backswing and shifting my weight.

I’m no scratch golfer, I’m a 10 handicap. But I’m 17 and on my way I suppose…

p.s. - All golfers should check out the following website. Best golf site on the web if you ask me:

www.bombsquadgolf.com[/quote]

I know its all technique…which is why I see a pro once a week lol. But definitely getting your legs stronger improves everything. Just with how much stronger I’ve gotten overall, my distances are much higher.

[quote]Oblag wrote:
Oh and by the way, what college do you play for? I have a friend who plays for St. John’s. And there are people at my club who play for Duke and Georgia Tech.[/quote]

Last year I played at wayne state university in Detroit (DII). It was pretty fun and the players were good, but as a school it sucked. I’m downgrading golf wise (Albion College DIII) but it has a 92% medical school entrance rate. Its one of the top academic schools in Michigan.

I was being recruited by Eastern Michigan, Toledo, and a lot of other litle schools, but I’m more in it for the academics. Duke and Georgia Tech? jeesh. I know some kids that play at Michigan, Michigan State, but they are no Duke lol

if you want to improve you distances on your drivei would use similar lifts to a hammer thrower (movement patterns are similar). Instead of using the weight that they use I would use a loading similar to a Javelin thrower.

Plus lots of core work and rotational side medicine ball throws. Mike Boyle has some stuff on his site about them.

[quote]golferguy12 wrote:
Oblag wrote:
Oh and by the way, what college do you play for? I have a friend who plays for St. John’s. And there are people at my club who play for Duke and Georgia Tech.

Last year I played at wayne state university in Detroit (DII). It was pretty fun and the players were good, but as a school it sucked. I’m downgrading golf wise (Albion College DIII) but it has a 92% medical school entrance rate. Its one of the top academic schools in Michigan.

I was being recruited by Eastern Michigan, Toledo, and a lot of other litle schools, but I’m more in it for the academics. Duke and Georgia Tech? jeesh. I know some kids that play at Michigan, Michigan State, but they are no Duke lol

[/quote]

Yeah there was a guy and a girl who play for Duke (I don’t know any of their stats). But the guy who plays for Georgia Tech had a +4 handicap in High School! He was in Golf Digest that year actually.

4 words:

Golf cart dead lifts.

I think being a scratch golfer is more impressive than the 290 bench

Good job on IMPROVING

Come on people the guy is happy he has made some gains, he didn’t say he is the strongest person to ever live or anything, just happy he set a big PR, You have to bench 300 before you can bench 400.

BTW what the hell is a scratch golfer, I know nothing about golf.

[quote]Kalle wrote:
Good job on IMPROVING

Come on people the guy is happy he has made some gains, he didn’t say he is the strongest person to ever live or anything, just happy he set a big PR, You have to bench 300 before you can bench 400.

BTW what the hell is a scratch golfer, I know nothing about golf.[/quote]

Agreed. And thanks for asking because I’ve been reading this thread hoping to have someone spoon feed me what a scratch golfer is without going to the trouble of looking it up myself.

[quote]scottiscool wrote:
Kalle wrote:
Good job on IMPROVING

Agreed. And thanks for asking because I’ve been reading this thread hoping to have someone spoon feed me what a scratch golfer is without going to the trouble of looking it up myself.[/quote]

A scratch golfer is someone with a handicap of 0, meaning they should shoot even par. Handicaps are used so that when a 5 handicap and a 12 handicap play, they can play equal (5 handicap will give strokes to the 12)…kinda confusing to explain lol

[quote]Oblag wrote:
golferguy12 wrote:
Oblag wrote:

Yeah there was a guy and a girl who play for Duke (I don’t know any of their stats). But the guy who plays for Georgia Tech had a +4 handicap in High School! He was in Golf Digest that year actually.
[/quote]

The number 1 on my team last year was super good too, I think he was about a +2…he shot a 32 three times at practice on the TPC of Michigan course (Where they play the FOrd Seniors Players Championship…tough course) He could have played almost anywhere…lord only knows why he went to a school in downtown detroit

[quote]scottiscool wrote:
Kalle wrote:
Good job on IMPROVING

Agreed. And thanks for asking because I’ve been reading this thread hoping to have someone spoon feed me what a scratch golfer is without going to the trouble of looking it up myself.[/quote]

Heres wikipedia’s definition of a handicap in golf lol

I knew I could count on you guys to help out us lazy dumb people

Cool, I was guessing it meant you had a 0 handicap after I posted that…

Good stuff it is getting you an education.

Great job on the PR and the improvement, Golferguy!

290 isn’t impressive by internet standards, but setting new records and progressing is always a great thing.

And to those of you bashing this thread, go chew on nails.

Did you guys bench over 290 the first time you laid down on a bench? Hell, have you guys even ever made significant improvement and then wanted to share it? No? Then put a sock in it.

[quote]tGunslinger wrote:
Great job on the PR and the improvement, Golferguy!

290 isn’t impressive by internet standards, but setting new records and progressing is always a great thing.

And to those of you bashing this thread, go chew on nails.

Did you guys bench over 290 the first time you laid down on a bench? Hell, have you guys even ever made significant improvement and then wanted to share it? No? Then put a sock in it.[/quote]

Thanks a lot. I just cant wait to get 3 plates on each side!