T Nation

Who Needs Ammo

[quote]hedo wrote:
Loose Tool wrote:
matt74 wrote:
that is about what I’m looking for. Thanks for the info

As an alternative to leather, Comp-Tac makes a nice inside the waistband Kydex. I’m real pleased with the way it carries my Glock 32.

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=68

I use Kydex almost exclusively for carry and competition these days.

Another thing about IWB holsters. Make sure it’s rgid enought o stay open after you draw. You should be able to reholster with one hand. If you can’t I’d look at other holsters to carry.
[/quote]

That Kydex holster looks interesting. I’ve always used leather, but back in the day, there was no kydex. Kevin McClung of Maddog knives was the first to ever use kydex as a holster. He was using it for the SEAL knives he crafted in the early 90s, FWIW.

Kramer’s holsters are great, they keep their shape and are very stable. Price is a little stiff at 1400$ or so, but they are hand made and last. I bought holsters in the early 90s that are just fine now.

  EDIT  : I mean 140$ or so, hahaha!

[quote]tom63 wrote:
hedo wrote:
Loose Tool wrote:
matt74 wrote:
that is about what I’m looking for. Thanks for the info

As an alternative to leather, Comp-Tac makes a nice inside the waistband Kydex. I’m real pleased with the way it carries my Glock 32.

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=68

I use Kydex almost exclusively for carry and competition these days.

Another thing about IWB holsters. Make sure it’s rgid enought o stay open after you draw. You should be able to reholster with one hand. If you can’t I’d look at other holsters to carry.

That Kydex holster looks interesting. I’ve always used leather, but back in the day, there was no kydex. Kevin McClung of Maddog knives was the first to ever use kydex as a holster. He was using it for the SEAL knives he crafted in the early 90s, FWIW.

Kramer’s holsters are great, they keep their shape and are very stable. Price is a little stiff at 1400$ or so, but they are hand made and last. I bought holsters in the early 90s that are just fine now.

[/quote]

For me, a $1,400 holster for a $500 gun would be a bit incongruent. I have a couple of Mitch Rosen leather holsters, and while they a very nice holsters, for $150 they don’t work any better than my $55 Comp-Tac kydex.

http://www.mitchrosen.com/new_products/new_products.html

That has to be a typo. Must mean $140.

That has to be a typo. Must mean $140.

[quote]hedo wrote:
That has to be a typo. Must mean $140.[/quote]

Or two typoo: one for the comma and another for the extra zero.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
hedo wrote:
That has to be a typo. Must mean $140.

Or two typoo: one for the comma and another for the extra zero.

[/quote]

Yup. Gotta watch those typoo.

Kramer cowhide IWB holster, $115.

Maybe Tom has twelve Kramer holsters, one for each of his handguns. That would work out to about $1400 bucks. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
Loose Tool wrote:
hedo wrote:
That has to be a typo. Must mean $140.

Or two typoo: one for the comma and another for the extra zero.

Yup. Gotta watch those typoo.

[/quote]

Maybee I meant to do that. Or maybe, not. ;(

LA Police Gear has a nice Galco leather IWB with a reinforced mouth for $23. I’ve gotten some great deals on closeouts from that site.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/gastinpaho.html

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
Loose Tool wrote:
hedo wrote:
That has to be a typo. Must mean $140.

Or two typoo: one for the comma and another for the extra zero.

Yup. Gotta watch those typoo.

Kramer cowhide IWB holster, $115.

Maybe Tom has twelve Kramer holsters, one for each of his handguns. That would work out to about $1400 bucks. :P[/quote]

I have four , I think but they were about 85 or so each back in the day. Great stuff. Glock 19/23, Ruger sp 101 357, SA XD 4" 45, 1911, and maybe another for a gun I don’t regularly carry.

Traded in a Browning High Power Practical for full size 1911 Kimber SIS today, Can’t wait for the range next week. Wife has this rule about me going to family Easter dinner.

You guys should check out www.highnoonholsters.com

I have the split decision for my G33. Pretty comfortable, good clip so you don’t have to take off the belt to remove the holster and has a tension screw to adjust the hold. It’s a tuckable IWB for about $34 or $54? I think? for cow hide. I carry at about the 5 0’clock position and it’s comfortable doing just about anything for me. They have many many other models and are made in Florida so you’re buying US and if I’m not mistaken they have a nice warranty with them.

I know it’s a bit different, but I usually carry in this

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=648632

Either on the skin or over a wife beater under a loose shirt.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
1,000 rounds at Sportsman Guide is (currently) $389.97.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=465892 [/quote]

just a head’s up…they’re completely out on .357SIG. prolly something to look at when buying a gun (which i didn’t-DUH!)

btw, here’s the holster i carry: http://www.uncle-mikes.com/products/inside_the_pant_holsters.html

actually we have dies coming in in a week or two so we can reload sig. thanks for the heads up though. I still need to find some temp defensive loads. Right now I’m stuck using the .40 barrel with 165 gr gold sabers (I forgot how much powder) but they are HOT.

[quote]GVkid wrote:
actually we have dies coming in in a week or two so we can reload sig. thanks for the heads up though. I still need to find some temp defensive loads. Right now I’m stuck using the .40 barrel with 165 gr gold sabers (I forgot how much powder) but they are HOT.[/quote]

Are you carrying using handloads?

Any police officer, self-defense or concealed carry instructor I’ve discussed handloads with insists you should in no way carry handloads for personal defense.

The logic is it can be and has been sucessfully argued in court that the person defending himself intentionally manufactured the handloads to particularly deadly, or painful or injurious.

Yea I know. I’ve been hearing that too but unfortunately I have no other choice in the matter right now with $$ and scarcity of ammo in general. It’s not bad if you have the performance charts as to what you have loaded up because it’s all documented, but these were loaded up by one of my dads old friends and all we have on them are bullet weight/type. But by shooting them you can tell they are somewhat hot. Everything we are loading up now though fits (in the higher end) of typical loading charts.

My train of thought right now is better to be judged by 12 than dead.

Yea I know. I’ve been hearing that too but unfortunately I have no other choice in the matter right now with $$ and scarcity of ammo in general. It’s not bad if you have the performance charts as to what you have loaded up because it’s all documented, but these were loaded up by one of my dads old friends and all we have on them are bullet weight/type. But by shooting them you can tell they are somewhat hot. Everything we are loading up now though fits (in the higher end) of typical loading charts.

My train of thought right now is better to be judged by 12 than dead.

[quote]pwilliams wrote:
GVkid wrote:
actually we have dies coming in in a week or two so we can reload sig. thanks for the heads up though. I still need to find some temp defensive loads. Right now I’m stuck using the .40 barrel with 165 gr gold sabers (I forgot how much powder) but they are HOT.

Are you carrying using handloads?

Any police officer, self-defense or concealed carry instructor I’ve discussed handloads with insists you should in no way carry handloads for personal defense.

The logic is it can be and has been sucessfully argued in court that the person defending himself intentionally manufactured the handloads to particularly deadly, or painful or injurious.[/quote]

I’ve heard both sides. I would use a factory load personally.

Finished up CCW training yesterday, applied for the permit today and should have it in about 2 weeks. Still haven’t found any rounds, sounds par for the course. Gonna have to pick up more Personal protection rounds today, thats gonna hurt the pocket book.