Who Made God?

OK OK sorry there has been a fair few religion threads lately, and i know that I could have posted in one of those, but I feel this question deserved its own thread.

It has just struck me that if god made man in his own image and if he created the hole universe in 6 days and all that.

But what was before the universe? God is always depicted as an elderly man with the grey hair and beard etc. So was he elderly when he made the universe? If so what did he do before?

He appears to have had a lot of time on his hands and if he is imortal I am guesing to get to looking like a 80 year old guy could have taken him actually around 80 million years or so, which means that if he can create our own infinite universe in just 6 days then asuming he has been around 80 million years he could have cretaed:

80,000,000 years

x 365 days=

29200000000 divide by 6=

4866666666 Other similar universe’s to ours exsisting and thats having every sunday off too!

Also the subject question still remains, who made god?
Is there a mummy and daddy god?

Am I a SIM?

I have never read the bible in its enterity, can someone tell me if this subject is approached in the bible? and are my questions answered?

Cheers

I guess God is by definition the sole creator of the universe and has no creator, at least for monotheists.

The problem at hand seems to arise due to the degree of abstraction you have chosen when imagining or referring to God, i.e. picturing him as an old man with a white beard as opposed to an absolute, infinite and transcendent entity, the fundament of all being or whatever.

By the way, I’m glad it’s Saturday in my universe…

I think you got him confused with Santa Claus, it seems that many christians suffer from that same confusion.

It’s very hard to debate abstractions.

My chubby smiling God can beat up your beenpole, abe lincoln God.

Who made God? Some guy, I think his name was Gary. He made him out of used bath-tub water.

What if our universe, is like, just a bubble? And there’s other bubbles, other where’s and when’s? What’ll Gary create for all those bubbles? Do they all have their own God, or does God preside over a hunderd million billion universii (or multiverse, if you will) simultaneously?

It’d explain a lot for the people who ask “Why doesn’t God do more?” or “Why won’t God answer my prayers?” Because God’s got better things to do, like making sure bubbles don’t start touching or worse yet, popping.

[quote]michael2507 wrote:
I guess God is by definition the sole creator of the universe and has no creator, at least for monotheists.

The problem at hand seems to arise due to the degree of abstraction you have chosen when imagining or referring to God, i.e. picturing him as an old man with a white beard as opposed to an absolute, infinite and transcendent entity, the fundament of all being or whatever.

By the way, I’m glad it’s Saturday in my universe…[/quote]

God made man in his own image, which means that he must look like us, even if god is a transiant entity I makes me wonder where did he come from and why did he make our universe.

Also if it only took god 6 days to create an infinite and impossibly complex universe, you would think he could spare half an hour to come back and fix a few things.

[quote]electric_eales wrote:

God made man in his own image, which means that he must look like us, even if god is a transiant entity I makes me wonder where did he come from and why did he make our universe.[/quote]

I’d say the concept of time (as well as space) doesn’t apply to the notion of God, i.e. it is believed that he always was and always will be. Thus, there is no reason for him to come from anywhere.

Regarding looks:

Gen 1:27
God created man in his own image. In God’s image he created him; male and female he created them.

I’m not sure if image is meant to be understood in the sense of looking like him. I’m not very bible-savvy so perhaps someone else who is could chime in…

My TV, for instance. Why did this have to happen precisely during the World Cup?

weeping and gnashing of teeth

God has always existed – by definition God cannot be a created being, otherwise He would cease to be God.

As for “image,” we know that we are triparte – three parts (body, soul, spirit). God, is also “three in one,” Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. So I think part of the notion that we are in God’s image is our 3 part nature. That is why we, like God, although created and so we, unlike God have a beginning, are eternal beings.

Also, part of the “image” is that we were created male and female. While God is often depicted as a man, He is really a spirit, and so His nature is reflected in both male and female natures.

Hopefully this helps, and of course the best source to find out about God is the Bible – God’s Holy Word.

I am off to worship the One True and Living God since it is the Lord’s Day today…

I wonder if God actually created many other universes before ours, if he exists.

[quote]semper_fi wrote:
I wonder if God actually created many other universes before ours, if he exists.[/quote]

If your question is serious, I believe so. I think too many get caught up in only being able to mentally visualize “God” as being some old guy in a white robe. This is why so many relate the concept of a higher power to Santa Clause which is completely missing the point. If our reality is a creation, then our concept of “cause and effect” or time itself may be as well. If it were possible for an entity to live outside of that concept, there would be no beginning and no end…because time is only a factor in our universe.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
semper_fi wrote:
I wonder if God actually created many other universes before ours, if he exists.

If your question is serious, I believe so. I think too many get caught up in only being able to mentally visualize “God” as being some old guy in a white robe. This is why so many relate the concept of a higher power to Santa Clause which is completely missing the point. If our reality is a creation, then our concept of “cause and effect” or time itself may be as well. If it were possible for an entity to live outside of that concept, there would be no beginning and no end…because time is only a factor in our universe.[/quote]

Very interesting comment, which has some merit.

And that could be why the Bible says " one thousand years is like one day to the Lord."

Oh, and this being another religion thread is really going to make the God hating atheists mad…I mean really mad. They will be in here any minute. Look out!

“Prove there is a God Grrrrr…”

LOL

:slight_smile:

[quote]ZEB wrote:
Professor X wrote:
semper_fi wrote:

If your question is serious, I believe so. I think too many get caught up in only being able to mentally visualize “God” as being some old guy in a white robe. This is why so many relate the concept of a higher power to Santa Clause which is completely missing the point. If our reality is a creation, then our concept of “cause and effect” or time itself may be as well. If it were possible for an entity to live outside of that concept, there would be no beginning and no end…because time is only a factor in our universe.

Very interesting comment, which has some merit.

And that could be why the Bible says " one thousand years is like one day to the Lord."

Oh, and this being another religion thread is really going to make the God hating atheists mad…I mean really mad. They will be in here any minute. Look out!

“Prove there is a God Grrrrr…”

LOL

:slight_smile:

[/quote]

I cannot understand how in the 21st century you openly accept Christianity and god.

Do you not want to know when, where, how and why?

You are following the teachings of this book that gives you no further explanation, than:

do as I say, and do not question me worship me reguarlly then after you die you will be allowed into heaven.

Do you not want to know a litle more?
Do you not want to know what god did before he cretaed our universe, or after?

Do you not want to know who or what he is and why he did it?

If i was to buy into this bullshit I would need to know a whole load more than whats written in the bible.

If i was to buy into this bullshit I would need to know a whole load more than whats written in the bible.[/quote]

I thought you wrote that you had not read the Bible…

[quote]deanec wrote:
electric_eales wrote:
If i was to buy into this bullshit I would need to know a whole load more than whats written in the bible.

I thought you wrote that you had not read the Bible…

[/quote]

If he had actually read the bible, he wouldn’t be so against it, even if he chose not to believe it.

I cannot understand how in the 21st century you openly accept Christianity and god.[/quote]

I cannot understand how in the 21st century you do not openly accept Christianity and god.

[quote] You are following the teachings of this book that gives you no further explanation, than:

do as I say, and do not question me worship me reguarlly then after you die you will be allowed into heaven.[/quote]

I think “worshipping” science is silly.

[quote] Do you not want to know a litle more?

[/quote]

Do I want to learn more about God? Yes. But before one can learn “more” he must first understand the basics.

Yet, you have not yet studied the Bible from what you have written. So, why not start there?

[quote]ZEB wrote:
electric_eales wrote:

I cannot understand how in the 21st century you openly accept Christianity and god.

I cannot understand how in the 21st century you do not openly accept Christianity and god.

You are following the teachings of this book that gives you no further explanation, than:

do as I say, and do not question me worship me reguarlly then after you die you will be allowed into heaven.

Do I want to learn more about God? Yes. But before one can learn “more” he must first understand the basics.

Yet, you have not yet studied the Bible from what you have written. So, why not start there?
[/quote]

having spoken to people that have read the bible, I know from them that my questions are un answered within its pages.

having spoken to people that have read the bible, I know from them that my questions are un answered within its pages.
[/quote]

That was truly lame. You now let others think for you?

ZEB wrote:
electric_eales wrote:

[/quote]

That is really lame. Your search for an answer to your original question would be better served by reading it yourself. Perhaps you are not all that interested after all…

If i was to buy into this bullshit I would need to know a whole load more than whats written in the bible.[/quote]

In my opinion, the core of what you are asking is inherently unknowable and I also can’t think of any verifiable consequences for the universe as such. It’s a matter of believing or not believing.

[/quote]

It seems that there are many (most?) who reject the Bible without first having read it. You are not unique in that regard.

Tell me, would you accept or reject a body building routine without first having tried it, or at least studied it first?

Let me suggest that your spirituality is at least important enough for you to take a close personal look for yourself.