Who Loves the Holidays?

[quote]FormerlyTexasGuy wrote:
…what turned you off to the holiday? Specifically.
[/quote]

I was never turned on to the holiday in the first place. I never saw the big deal. I’ve never been into gifts. And it’s increasingly annoying that the decorations go up earlier and earlier each year.

I don’t really dislike Christmas. I just don’t get into it. It’s nothing special to me.

[quote]MarvelGirl wrote:
Have you seen kids in the mall around this time?

If I had ever said to my mom, “Bitch, you better get me this.” she’d have slapped my teeth out.

The tantrums and displays of greed shown by children horrify and disgust me. What’s even worse is that their parents reward the behavior by buying them the crap that they demand.

Then I go to a PTA meeting and hear the mother’s talking.
“Well, I bought him a PS3 and like 8 games, and a new cell phone, and a stereo, and some clothes, and a laptop, and an Ipod. What else do you think I should get him?”

blank stare

These are the same mothers who come in crying because their kid called them “a motherfucking bitch whore” because she forgot to put his jeans in the dryer.

If it was still about Jesus, I could get behind that, but it seems like nobody gives a damn about him anymore, just the presents.[/quote]

I think you’re overly simplifying people. In all honesty, 90% of the people I deal with at Best Buy ask me a lot of questions, to make sure they’re getting the present just right for their loved ones. They want to see their kids as has happy as possible on Christmas morning, so they take the time to find out as much as they can about the gift they’re trying to select.

And talking about the people who buy a lot of shit - Rich people never disappeared. I see more people buying smaller amounts for their kids than I do people like you mentioned, though. You just can’t lope everyone into one category.

Now, I suppose I can understand the besieging of the religious lore as an excuse to feel disappointed in the holidays, but bad parenting is bad parenting year-round, so I’m not sure if that belongs in the thread.

[quote]MarvelGirl wrote:

If I had ever said to my mom, “Bitch, you better get me this.” she’d have slapped my teeth out.

The tantrums and displays of greed shown by children horrify and disgust me. What’s even worse is that their parents reward the behavior by buying them the crap that they demand.

“Well, I bought him a PS3 and like 8 games, and a new cell phone, and a stereo, and some clothes, and a laptop, and an Ipod. What else do you think I should get him?”

blank stare

These are the same mothers who come in crying because their kid called them “a motherfucking bitch whore” because she forgot to put his jeans in the dryer.

If it was still about Jesus, I could get behind that, but it seems like nobody gives a damn about him anymore, just the presents.[/quote]

So one kid ruins the magic of a holiday where people put others first by shopping, exchange thoughts/gifts and reflect on each other and year?

I really don’t think it’s that common for kids to call their moms bitch whores. Serious question, do you live in a trashy area?

The exception of spoiled kids to the rule shouldn’t be enough to snuff the multiple meanings and intents of a great holiday.

[quote]SSC wrote:
MarvelGirl wrote:

blank stare

If it was still about Jesus, I could get behind that, but it seems like nobody gives a damn about him anymore, just the presents.

I think you’re overly simplifying people. In all honesty, 90% of the people I deal with at Best Buy ask me a lot of questions, to make sure they’re getting the present just right for their loved ones. They want to see their kids as has happy as possible on Christmas morning, so they take the time to find out as much as they can about the gift they’re trying to select.

And talking about the people who buy a lot of shit - Rich people never disappeared. I see more people buying smaller amounts for their kids than I do people like you mentioned, though. You just can’t lope everyone into one category.

Now, I suppose I can understand the besieging of the religious lore as an excuse to feel disappointed in the holidays, but bad parenting is bad parenting year-round, so I’m not sure if that belongs in the thread.[/quote]
I agree with the bad parenting bit of it.

I disagree with lumping rich parents with bad parents because they can afford gifts others can’t. As long as they teach appreciation along with the life they are blessing their children with, I say it’s all good. Whether a family has a $200 christmas budget or $20,000, a kid can be taught to appreciate what he gets.

I haven’t been a fan of the holidays for quite a while, though I think I’m beginning to enjoy them. I think my main problem with the holidays is that it interupted my training. Between the family gatherings, the shopping, and the cold weather it was hard to get all my workouts in. Now that I’m not competing/working out like I use to I may actually enjoy the holidays.

I really don’t care if people are offended by my thoughts.

Someone asked me a question, and I answered it, if you’d like to argue about my feelings, then you can argue about them with yourselves.

Have fun with that.

SSC wrote:
MarvelGirl wrote:

blank stare

If it was still about Jesus, I could get behind that, but it seems like nobody gives a damn about him anymore, just the presents.

Now, I suppose I can understand the besieging of the religious lore as an excuse to feel disappointed in the holidays, but bad parenting is bad parenting year-round, so I’m not sure if that belongs in the thread.

I disagree with lumping rich parents with bad parents because they can afford gifts others can’t. As long as they teach appreciation along with the life they are blessing their children with, I say it’s all good. Whether a family has a $200 christmas budget or $20,000, a kid can be taught to appreciate what he gets.
[/quote]

Right, I think that came out the wrong way. I didn’t mean to blend the rich/bad parenting thing into one, so I agree with what you said 100%. It definitely all boils down to parenting.

And on a side note, apparently civil discussion on internet forums are no longer encouraged with certain members, though. It looks like it doesn’t even have to be the holidays to be an ass.

Oh well.

…a holiday where people put others first by shopping, exchange thoughts/gifts and reflect on each other and year?
[/quote]

This is one of my issues with Christmas. Why do people need a holiday to be nice and giving? What about the rest of the year? It all comes off as so fake and contrived.

what turned you off to the holiday? Specifically.

[/quote]

I found out Santa Claus wasn’t real. Seriously, who the fuck ever thought this was a good idea?

“Ok, little Timmy, here is Christmas in a nutshell: every year a big fat guy breaks into everyone’s house and leaves you toys for NO FUCKING REASON AT ALL! He does this for every good little boy and girl on Earth as long as they think Jesus was white. You may be wondering what complex piece of technology allows Santa Claus to travel all over the world in a single night? A fucking sleigh pulled by fucking rain deer. Not a Delorean, not the starship Enterprise, but a fucking sleigh pulled by rain deer and one just happens to have a red light emitting diode for a nose. Got all that?”

[quote]MarvelGirl wrote:
I really don’t care if people are offended by my thoughts.

Someone asked me a question, and I answered it, if you’d like to argue about my feelings, then you can argue about them with yourselves.

Have fun with that.[/quote]

Who is offended? And nobody is arguing, just getting a feel for your jaded outlook.

[quote]SSC wrote:
FormerlyTexasGuy wrote:
SSC wrote:
MarvelGirl wrote:

blank stare

Right, I think that came out the wrong way. I didn’t mean to blend the rich/bad parenting thing into one, so I agree with what you said 100%. It definitely all boils down to parenting.

And on a side note, apparently civil discussion on internet forums are no longer encouraged with certain members, though. It looks like it doesn’t even have to be the holidays to be an ass.

Oh well.[/quote]

I can’t say i caught your side note.