Who Loves the Holidays?

bah humbug

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
I still love Christmas. Now what I have a few nephews, I love it even more. It’s fun just to watch how they enjoy it.
[/quote]

I guess I agree with you on this point. I have a large family on my side, and so we only buy Christmas presents for the nieces and nephews. I do enjoy doing that, but I’m not sure how it will work out this year as the hippie sister-in-law has asked us to stop giving her kids gifts.

So what, we give the clean kid presents and nothing for the dirty kids? Yeah…that’ll happen.

[quote]SSC wrote:
I like feeling like a kid again around Christmas, it’s all about attitude. When I see the lights get thrown up, I discard all thoughts about capitalism, greed, and thriftiness and focus on trying to be as upbeat and friendly as I can. Plus, it helps that I still enjoy Christmas carols.

So yes, I freaking love the holidays.[/quote]

Yeah, I love the atmosphere… Maybe it has to do with where I live though. In my house we set up a real tree, listen to some classical music, eat a homemade feast, go tobogganing down hills lit by Christmas lights at night, then finally sit down and have some hot chocolate. :stuck_out_tongue: I don’t see what there is to hate about that.

If you ignore the consumer whoring going on at this time of the year, I think the holidays are a great time.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
I still love Christmas. Now what I have a few nephews, I love it even more. It’s fun just to watch how they enjoy it.

I guess I agree with you on this point. I have a large family on my side, and so we only buy Christmas presents for the nieces and nephews. I do enjoy doing that, but I’m not sure how it will work out this year as the hippie sister-in-law has asked us to stop giving her kids gifts.

So what, we give the clean kid presents and nothing for the dirty kids? Yeah…that’ll happen.[/quote]

It was fun when I had 2 nieces and a nephew. Now I have 3 of each and between Xmas and birthdays those little brats are putting me in the poor house. I told my borthers and sisters that they should just buy me a Ferrari because I’m not going to reproduce and in the long run, I would be saving them thousands, so at least I have that going for me.

On a small side note, it gave me great pleasure to buy my oldest nephew(who is an aspiring guitar player)a Boss DS-1 distortion pedal. I hope he likes it as much as I liked buying it for him.

Bunch of grumpy grendls!

[quote]Vegg wrote:
SSC wrote:
I like feeling like a kid again around Christmas, it’s all about attitude. When I see the lights get thrown up, I discard all thoughts about capitalism, greed, and thriftiness and focus on trying to be as upbeat and friendly as I can. Plus, it helps that I still enjoy Christmas carols.

So yes, I freaking love the holidays.

Yeah, I love the atmosphere… Maybe it has to do with where I live though. In my house we set up a real tree, listen to some classical music, eat a homemade feast, go tobogganing down hills lit by Christmas lights at night, then finally sit down and have some hot chocolate. :stuck_out_tongue: I don’t see what there is to hate about that.

If you ignore the consumer whoring going on at this time of the year, I think the holidays are a great time.[/quote]

Right… I don’t understand all of the negative nancies. Worrying about “all the shopping?” Come on. Take an afternoon and get it done. That was tough.

Again - it’s all about mentality. There’s something photogenic about riding around downtown, seeing illuminated buildings with snow gently falling.

And that was the first and last emo thing that’ll come out of my mouth for a while.

I love christmas and the festive season :smiley: puts me in a generaly good mood :slight_smile:

[quote]SSC wrote:
Vegg wrote:
SSC wrote:

So yes, I freaking love the holidays.

If you ignore the consumer whoring going on at this time of the year, I think the holidays are a great time.

Right… I don’t understand all of the negative nancies. Worrying about “all the shopping?” Come on. Take an afternoon and get it done. That was tough.

Again - it’s all about mentality. There’s something photogenic about riding around downtown, seeing illuminated buildings with snow gently falling.

And that was the first and last emo thing that’ll come out of my mouth for a while.[/quote]

Hell, where I am, the snow either doesn’t fall 'til January or it falls too early and it gets all shitty and gray on Christmas.

Christmas was fun when I was five. From about twelve on all I remember is drunk fighting parents, disappointing presents. Cold food and piles of dirty dishes the next day. I always put up the fucking tree, spend hours on that bitch making it the biggest, craziest fucking tree ever, and no one gives a shit, and I have to take the fucking thing down by myself, as well. Not to mention the god damn tree stand is always fucking broken.

I fucking hate the Holidays. Why can’t I just skip this shit?

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
Hell, where I am, the snow either doesn’t fall 'til January or it falls too early and it gets all shitty and gray on Christmas.

Christmas was fun when I was five. From about twelve on all I remember is drunk fighting parents, disappointing presents. Cold food and piles of dirty dishes the next day. I always put up the fucking tree, spend hours on that bitch making it the biggest, craziest fucking tree ever, and no one gives a shit, and I have to take the fucking thing down by myself, as well. Not to mention the god damn tree stand is always fucking broken.

I fucking hate the Holidays. Why can’t I just skip this shit?[/quote]

Why don’t you just leave the tree up if no one will take it down? Imagine how funny that would be.

On a related note, one of my friends comes from a family with a Jewish dad and a Catholic mother. Last winter, my friends dad made a bet with his mom (of which, I’m not entirely sure what it was) but he won, and they had a fake palm tree as their christmas tree that year.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Vicomte wrote:

I fucking hate the Holidays. Why can’t I just skip this shit?

Why don’t you just leave the tree up if no one will take it down? Imagine how funny that would be.

On a related note, one of my friends comes from a family with a Jewish dad and a Catholic mother. Last winter, my friends dad made a bet with his mom (of which, I’m not entirely sure what it was) but he won, and they had a fake palm tree as their christmas tree that year.[/quote]

I leave the bastard up 'til February some years. Eventually I have to get it out, and then there’s various dried pine needle injuries involved.

Can’t a brother get a break?

I love christmas and i love working during it.
I am working as a chef for the Hilton so i love all the staff christmas parties that come into the resturant and make complete dicks of themselves lol. And its nearly 2 weeks of solid christmas party bookings.
LOVIN IT

I’m tired of Christmas already. Around here they started clearing the halloween stuff out and putting up Christmas shit BEFORE Halloween…

We celebrate solstice because we’re not religious and my family is Christian and my husbands’ Jewish so it makes it easier.

We have a tree that we decorate with popcorn and cranberry garland and my son paints pine cones to use as ornaments. Then we have a really big meal and we play board games next to the fire and at midnight we all write down something about ourselves that we didn’t like this year and we burn the paper and then open presents.

Everybody gets one present, or we get a family present. Last year the only present under our tree was a wii and we stayed up all night playing it.

Really, it’s just the nastiness and greed that I hate about Christmas anymore. I don’t remember it being like that when I was a kid. I’ll be avoiding the stores until after New Year’s so I don’t have to listen to any shit faced brats screaming at their mothers to buy them everything.

[quote]MarvelGirl wrote:
I’m tired of Christmas already. Around here they started clearing the halloween stuff out and putting up Christmas shit BEFORE Halloween…

We celebrate solstice because we’re not religious and my family is Christian and my husbands’ Jewish so it makes it easier.

We have a tree that we decorate with popcorn and cranberry garland and my son paints pine cones to use as ornaments. Then we have a really big meal and we play board games next to the fire and at midnight we all write down something about ourselves that we didn’t like this year and we burn the paper and then open presents.

Everybody gets one present, or we get a family present. Last year the only present under our tree was a wii and we stayed up all night playing it.

Really, it’s just the nastiness and greed that I hate about Christmas anymore. I don’t remember it being like that when I was a kid. I’ll be avoiding the stores until after New Year’s so I don’t have to listen to any shit faced brats screaming at their mothers to buy them everything.[/quote]

Couldn’t agree more and your holiday tradition sounds awesome!

Festivus…

for the rest of us

haha

[quote]elano wrote:
bah humbug[/quote]

No shit!

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
AngryVader wrote:

So what, we give the clean kid presents and nothing for the dirty kids? Yeah…that’ll happen.[/quote]

What tears and disappointment don’t make a holiday great?

[quote]analog_kid wrote:

On a small side note, it gave me great pleasure to buy my oldest nephew(who is an aspiring guitar player)a Boss DS-1 distortion pedal. I hope he likes it as much as I liked buying it for him.
[/quote]

I’m with you on that note a_k, if I find that ‘something’ that I know the person will enjoy I love buying it and seeing them open it up. Well, I just like getting things for people in general :slight_smile:

Presents for close family and friends…and I make fudge and toffee for everyone else!

I love the cozy feel my house gets after we put up all the decorations and then sitting in front of the fireplace with some hot chocolate.

[quote]MarvelGirl wrote:

Really, it’s just the nastiness and greed that I hate about Christmas anymore. I don’t remember it being like that when I was a kid. I’ll be avoiding the stores until after New Year’s so I don’t have to listen to any shit faced brats screaming at their mothers to buy them everything.[/quote]

Kind of a bitter outlook though huh? Nastiness and greed? Usually Christmas is about Jesus of course but then gift giving from one recipient to another. Most people put thought in to the gifts they exchange and it is a good thing. I’m curious, you and the other bitter betties, what turned you off to the holiday? Specifically.

Also, threads like this give great insight to the forum. It has been an interesting read.

Have you seen kids in the mall around this time?

If I had ever said to my mom, “Bitch, you better get me this.” she’d have slapped my teeth out.

The tantrums and displays of greed shown by children horrify and disgust me. What’s even worse is that their parents reward the behavior by buying them the crap that they demand.

Then I go to a PTA meeting and hear the mother’s talking.
“Well, I bought him a PS3 and like 8 games, and a new cell phone, and a stereo, and some clothes, and a laptop, and an Ipod. What else do you think I should get him?”

blank stare

These are the same mothers who come in crying because their kid called them “a motherfucking bitch whore” because she forgot to put his jeans in the dryer.

If it was still about Jesus, I could get behind that, but it seems like nobody gives a damn about him anymore, just the presents.

Love the holidays, hate being single during the holidays.