Who Is The World's Fittest Man?

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
Randy Couture.

Game Over. Please re-insert tokens.[/quote]

there are a lot of MMA guys who are really really fit.

why not Vitor Belfort for example? or how about Wanderlai Silva?

I agree with RIT Jared . Pudzianowski used to be a boxer , he still includes rope routines in his training and does Kyokushin for Activery Recovery days .

http://www.joe-decker.com/home.html

Joe Decker??

La’
Redsol1

bamit,
Imagine running that same hundred yard sprint, but instead of only getting hit by one weapon afterwards, you get hit by three. MMA athletes have to look out for so much more than a punch.

Not that I don’t respect boxers. I do. But imagine having to worry about getting punched(standing or on the ground), kicked, kneed, elbowed, taken down, thrown, slammed or submitted in a hundred different ways.

I don’t know if MMA athletes are the fittest or not. I know it’s the hardest thing I’ve ever done. Randy Couture is very fit, no doubt. But I doubt he would do well in the Tour de France. And Lance Armstrong would get his ass handed to him in a cage.

[quote]FCFighter wrote:
bamit,
Imagine running that same hundred yard sprint, but instead of only getting hit by one weapon afterwards, you get hit by three. MMA athletes have to look out for so much more than a punch.

Not that I don’t respect boxers. I do. But imagine having to worry about getting punched(standing or on the ground), kicked, kneed, elbowed, taken down, thrown, slammed or submitted in a hundred different ways.

I don’t know if MMA athletes are the fittest or not. I know it’s the hardest thing I’ve ever done. Randy Couture is very fit, no doubt. But I doubt he would do well in the Tour de France. And Lance Armstrong would get his ass handed to him in a cage. [/quote]

MMA fighters and boxers must both be in fantastic shape; however from a pure fitness perspective I believe boxers have a small edge on MMA fighters. My reasoning behind this is I believe that a boxer could last in a MMA fight (from a pure endurance perspective) longer than an MMA fighter could last in a boxing match. I not saying which one would win, I am jus saying that the MMA fighter could not last physically in a 12 round bout, but a boxer could physically last in a MMA match.

Royce and Saku went for like 1 hour and 15 minutes. I dont know if the claim about boxers being able to outlast mma fighters has any real substance.

To try and pick a “most fit” in any regard is an exercise in creating arguements. Yes, triathletes and bike racers are very aerobically fit, but do not have a large amount of raw strength. And most raw strength types will be lacking (in comparison) in the aerobic arena. If you pick ANYONE that is a top athlete in their chosen sport, you’ve automatically given up something in another area due to the specificity of the activity involved.

[quote]bamit wrote:
FCFighter wrote:
bamit,

I don’t know if MMA athletes are the fittest or not. I know it’s the hardest thing I’ve ever done. Randy Couture is very fit, no doubt. But I doubt he would do well in the Tour de France. And Lance Armstrong would get his ass handed to him in a cage.

MMA fighters and boxers must both be in fantastic shape; however from a pure fitness perspective I believe boxers have a small edge on MMA fighters. My reasoning behind this is I believe that a boxer could last in a MMA fight (from a pure endurance perspective) longer than an MMA fighter could last in a boxing match. I not saying which one would win, I am jus saying that the MMA fighter could not last physically in a 12 round bout, but a boxer could physically last in a MMA match.
[/quote]

I said a world champ discus thrower before, but I think that the all time fittest all around human was that super heavyweight wrestler Karelin. I remember that he did two 10 mile runs a day in the snow, and was about 6-3, 300 and about 6.5% bodyfat, and could pick up his opponents like no one else. Since he was so lean I would pick him even though he was a super heavy. Also, wrestling is one of the most all around taxing activities, and he probably would destroy any combatant who used only impact based attacks like kicking and punching.

[quote]illbill22 wrote:
jack lalanne[/quote]

Jack Lalanne dropped and did 90 consecutive push-ups on his 90th birthday. He may not be the fittest man in the world, but he is sure as heck the fittest 90 year old!

How about various categories?

Martial Artist: Either Randy Couture or Matt Hughes (I have still never seen Hughes get tired)

Bike/Run: Lance Armstrong for certain his his VO2 Max is something like 87. Someone who is in real good condition is between 55 and 60!

StrongMan: I like Pudzianowski, but don’t forget about Jouko Ahola who was in tremendous condition in the late 90’s early 00’s.

Senior Citizen: Jack LaLane!

No it’s the FITTEST…
Westside 1000 pd squatter…I believe he get his ass handed to HIM in any kind of across-the-board fitness challenge (of which power/oly lifts would have to be included of course)

Why don’t we start a Worlds Fittest Man competition. We can include some types of strength lifts, various running and swimming events, a cycling event, etc. That would be the only way for us to find out.

There is no such thing as the fittest human. That’s hands down fo’ sure.

Now for commercial promotion there will be many. For the news there will be Armstrong. There will also be Kenyans who run marathons. Also Russian women who run them too. triathletes rank high up there with the other endurance athletes. But just because someone’s mental strength pushes them to unhealthy physical states would not be fit in my book. They may live up to the unrealistic BMI as well so they are the poster children for healthy and fit.

Fitness is a variable term. Like someone mentioned above, and I believe too, an individual who demonstrates or trains themselves in the 10 general physical skills to above average or average (since there’s lots of specialization nowdays) it fit. Not fittest, but fit.

If I had to say who is fit is someone, at any bodyweight they are- heavy and light, that trains and demonstrates the 10 general physical skills. No matter what weight they are at a given time.

None of this “Because so-n-so is lighter/heavier than the last time he held the championship, he isnot expected to do as well…”

He/she should be able to handle no matter what. I think that falls under adaptation. While we can all train to be that way, we’ll never achieve the highest otherwise what else do we have to train for? Just gotta keep on movin’ and workin’.

Laird Hamilton is the shiit though. He’s not that huge either. He;s not small, but not huge. TV just makes him look that way. Then again depends where you’re from.

I’ll second Alexander Karelin. Everything about him is simply incredible. Simply an unbelievable combination of endurance, strength, and flexibiliy.

Until his untimely death,

It was Pat Tillman!

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/./1/.1106946800360.rulon.jpg

Well, if Alexander Karelin is indeed the most fit, then I’m going with Rulon as ABSOLUTE most fit.

Dan John, nuff said.

[quote]chtdrmn wrote:
Why don’t we start a Worlds Fittest Man competition. We can include some types of strength lifts, various running and swimming events, a cycling event, etc. That would be the only way for us to find out. [/quote]

This reminds me of the old ABC show “The Superstars” where top athletes from different sports would compete against each other in various events, including weightlifting, swimming, bicycling, running, and of course, the obstacle course. I seem to remember soccer players and decathletes doing extremely well, while football players (the linemen, anyway) and boxers faired poorly. One in particular, former heavyweight champ Joe Frazier, sunk like stone in the swimming event and almost drowned. It wasn’t the best measure to see who was the fittest, but it was pretty entertaining.

I entered “fittest man alive” in Google and hit the “I’m feeling lucky” button. Google sez:

"Sir Ranulph Twistleton-Wykeham-Fiennes is 60. He’s famous for enduring epic pain in freezing places, and for doing all this burdened by his triple-barrelled surname and the expectations of dozens of generations of semi-noble ancestors. The Fiennes caricature, in other words, is of an old-school toff, a chip off the Shackleton block, achieving obscure and masochistic firsts through grit and bloody-mindedness for the sake of honour and his sponsors, not necessarily in that order.

Here are some things he’s less well known for: he used to be a heavy smoker and butter-eater (whole 8oz packs washed down with tea as a quick way of absorbing calories) who even before running seven marathons in seven days last year had earned a top spot in the sport of adventure racing, which involves running for several days through rugged terrain in the knowledge that if you collapse you’ll be a grievous let-down for your team.

Before those marathons Fiennes had a severe heart attack and double bypass surgery. Since then he’s conquered Ecuador, climbing six of the seven volcanoes he attempted over two weeks. He turned back on the third highest, but only because of fog. The highest, Chimborazo, defeats 95 per cent of those who attempt it."

…read the rest here: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8127-1390960,00.html

I hope I can manage even half that when I’m an old geezer.

[quote]TeeVee69 wrote:
chtdrmn wrote:
Why don’t we start a Worlds Fittest Man competition. We can include some types of strength lifts, various running and swimming events, a cycling event, etc. That would be the only way for us to find out.

This reminds me of the old ABC show “The Superstars” where top athletes from different sports would compete against each other in various events, including weightlifting, swimming, bicycling, running, and of course, the obstacle course. I seem to remember soccer players and decathletes doing extremely well, while football players (the linemen, anyway) and boxers faired poorly. One in particular, former heavyweight champ Joe Frazier, sunk like stone in the swimming event and almost drowned. It wasn’t the best measure to see who was the fittest, but it was pretty entertaining.[/quote]

I used to love that show man! Kyle Rote Jr. a soccer player won a couple times. As did Lyn Swan a wide receiver. I think a couple of baseball shortstops did pretty well too, maybe Lou Brock and Maury Wills? Don’t remember.

One more thing regarding the “Superstars” competition. I remember Lou Ferrigno Mr. Universe and the Incredible Hulk. Getting losing to Brian Oldfield a shot putter, in the Barbell Push Press competition. Big Lou did something like 300lbs. While Oldfield did 330lbs. or so. It was great stuff!