Who Is The World's Fittest Man?

Okay, who do you think is the world’s fittest man, and why? Obviously this will depend heavily on how you define fitness, but I think it will be interesting to hear the variety of answers.

[quote]DonM wrote:
Okay, who do you think is the world’s fittest man, and why? Obviously this will depend heavily on how you define fitness, but I think it will be interesting to hear the variety of answers. [/quote]

Lance Armstrong hands down.

I might go with say a world champion discus thrower. Anyone know who’s on top now?

That or Barry Bonds-Joking.

My vote goes for Pudzianowski.

Again, it depends how you define “fit”.

tim deboom or peter reid…take your pic. ironman hawaii winners on more than one occaision.

if that meets your definition of “fit”.

jack lalanne

It HAS to be someone who exhibits ALL of the components of fitness: aerobic and anaerobic endurance, power, strength, agility and athleticism etc…
That leaves out triathletes and Lance Armstrong…
I think of basketball players…some football players, gymnasts etc… these guys use all the components listed.

Randy Couture A man in his 40s who is consistanly out fighting many younger athletes in MMA his weight training from what ive read is intense plus MMA is a very aerobic and anaerobic sport plus i think mental focus and toughness should be included in with being fit you gotta have a strong mind

To me decathletes exibit the greatest level of overall fitness, if we define “fitness” as versatility. Typically, they are quite lean, excellent sprinters and leapers, carry a decent (although, not great) amount of muscle mass, and can still run a sub 5-minute mile.

In case you were wondering the events are: the 100-meter, 400-meter, and 1,500-meter runs; the 110-meter high hurdles; the discus and javelin throws; the shot put; the pole vault; the high jump; and the long jump.

It’s all relative though. I used to run 80 miles/week as a Div 1 college X-Country and T&F athlete. I was a 4:teens miler and ran under 26:00 for 5 miles. I was quite fit as a runner, but I weighed 129lbs at 5’8" and carried very little lean mass.

Now, I’m a much happier 165lbs, and I’m much “fitter” in the weight room – I just can’t run two miles without stopping. =op

Randy Couture.

Game Over. Please re-insert tokens.

Laird Hamilton, without question, have you guys seen “Riding Giants”, his training is like Mariuz Pudzianowski without the gear. He is an amazing physical specimen, huge, jacked and unbelievably talented. Name someone who can do the same activities that he can.

Randy Couture for sure.

Fighting is probably the ultimate test of a man’s athletic prowess. He makes guys almost half his age look silly and out of shape.

He also competes in eco-challenge type events and incorporates Olympic lifting in his training.

What else could you ask for?

[quote]Clark Call wrote:
Laird Hamilton, without question, have you guys seen “Riding Giants”, his training is like Mariuz Pudzianowski without the gear. He is an amazing physical specimen, huge, jacked and unbelievably talented. Name someone who can do the same activities that he can.[/quote]

Good Call, Laird Hamilton has to be one of the fittest men around. His training is intense and the things he does are mind blowing. But lets not forget a lot of military types out there who would put all these guys to shame especially from the mental standpoint.

I enjoyed the Jack LaLanne post, and I agree that he would certainly be a candidate, but i’d have to credit his past more so than the present. (given his age, his physical being is undeniably incredible). However, I would have to second Laird Hamilton. His training is super demanding (underwater rock running, etc.) Plus, to have the confidence in your physical preparedness (& Balls!)to drop in to 50+ foot teahupoo…come on now.

Ronnie Coleman hands down!! just kidding! Actually I’d probably have to say either the Olympic lifters or some of the olympic gymnasts. These guys are fast, strong, powerful, and able to endure hours of training which the typical “bodybuilder” would call “overtraining.” And most of them have pretty impressive physiques. Of course, if this was 1960, I’d also say Jack LaLanne, but it’s not, so I’d say the olympic lifters (maybe Pyrros Dimos) or gymnasts (can’t think of any names other than Paul Hamm, but I didn’t think he was that impressive physique-wise).

Just about anyone from the Westside Barbell Club. Sqauatting over 1000 lbs. is fit.

Not for nothing, but I had dinner with Jack LaLane the other night. He’s 93 and sharp as a tack. Very funny guy.

As for most fit, I vote for pre-WWE Ken Shamrock.

Was Jerry Rice now…Tiger Woods!

I would tend to think someone who is like a top navy SEAL or something along that lines. If fitness entails endurance, strength and quickness, I would imagine someone along those lines would be tops.

I am surprised no one has mentioned any boxers. To me they are the most well conditioned athletes. Here is how one of my friends describes boxing. “Imagine running a hundred yard sprint, then having someone trying to hit you with a bat for 3 minutes, and that is just one round.” Pretty good description, I remember my first time sparring I thought I was in good shape. As Charlie Murphy said, Wrong, Wrong.