Who Is the Real Band Man?

I saw this post today mentioning someone called “The Band Man”:
http://alwyncosgrove.blogspot.com/2007/05/resistance-bands-unleashed.html

I watched the videos and it looks like some guy has just turned bands into a gimmick. The videos are pretty funny. And I say this as a huge fan of bands. I use the JumpStretch bands for all sorts of rehab/prehab work, I do squats and pull-throughs with them on active recovery days, and even do “fat boy pull-ups” when I want to do some high-velocity chins and pulls. Bands are great, but you don’t fucking do everything with them. You don’t focus your training around them.

Also, I was a little confused, as I remember someone else being referred to as the band man, and his recommended exercises were gimmicky at all. Here was the reason for the “confusion”:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1105903

More generally, it cracks me up seeing someone take something like a band and fronting like it’s a complete workout. It’s like the Swiss ball guys. I like Swiss balls, and use them every workout - for about 5 minutes. Because that’s all they are good for.

Oh, and if you want a really good laugh, read the Matt Furey inspired ad copy for “band training”:
www.resistancebandsunleashed.com

God, I really hate the fitness industry.

Excellent.
Way to take a valuable piece of equipment and create another stupid fad.
I can imagine in the next 6 months to be tripping over any number of idiots with a band attached to them and the cable machine or even the squat rack.

Oops, maybe I shouldn’t have given them any more ideas.

Cain

Hi C.Law,

I have been receiving his e-newsletter and I don’t find it that bad. I agree the idea of ‘all bands, no gym’ is gimmicky but afterall he was just saying things to catch attention.

And if he really was ‘all bands, no gym’ then I wouldn’t find the attached photo he his training material. (BTW, if nothing else is useful, at least I learned from him how to setup band deadlift without a deadlift platform with hooks)

Also I find his idea do help those who do not have access to a proper weight room or sport teams that run on tight budget.

But hey, if some 3rd grade PT abused these ideas, it would become the next swiss ball.

My $0.02NZD,

GB

[quote]cain wrote:
Excellent.
I can imagine in the next 6 months to be tripping over any number of idiots with a band attached to them and the cable machine or even the squat rack.[/quote]

Ugh. I hope they don’t go mainstream. Some idiot will end up taking my eye out when he loses control of his band and smacks me in the face.

[quote]geekboy wrote:
Hi C.Law,

I have been receiving his e-newsletter and I don’t find it that bad. I agree the idea of ‘all bands, no gym’ is gimmicky but afterall he was just saying things to catch attention.

And if he really was ‘all bands, no gym’ then I wouldn’t find the attached photo he his training material. (BTW, if nothing else is useful, at least I learned from him how to setup band deadlift without a deadlift platform with hooks)

Also I find his idea do help those who do not have access to a proper weight room or sport teams that run on tight budget.

But hey, if some 3rd grade PT abused these ideas, it would become the next swiss ball.

My $0.02NZD,

GB[/quote]

I think the problem will be exactly the same as the swissball, kettlebell stuff all over. Bands have been around for a while and are a great training aid, it is just when the whole “No Gym” line of thinking is thrown around it will lead to people adopting it as the ONLY way to train “Functionally” as the guy has already stated on his website.

We don’t need a new breed of band only people polluting the gyms and forums.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
cain wrote:
Excellent.
I can imagine in the next 6 months to be tripping over any number of idiots with a band attached to them and the cable machine or even the squat rack.

Ugh. I hope they don’t go mainstream. Some idiot will end up taking my eye out when he loses control of his band and smacks me in the face.[/quote]

Ity will never happen. These things have been around for years already. I seriously doubt you’ll see the average gym goer messing with heavy duty bands.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
cain wrote:
Excellent.

Ugh. I hope they don’t go mainstream. Some idiot will end up taking my eye out when he loses control of his band and smacks me in the face.

Ity will never happen. These things have been around for years already. I seriously doubt you’ll see the average gym goer messing with heavy duty bands.

[/quote]

You never know, they already meet the first criteria…lots of nice colours! Now if we can just get the resistance down to a typical household elastic!

God, I really hate the fitness industry.[/quote]

Ryan Lee is really getting on my nerves. Now it seems like every FREAKING webpage you go to is done Ryan Lee style. IRRITATING!

I love my bands for what you said rehab/prehab that’s about it.

Obviously using bands instead of regular strength training smacks of being a gimmick, but what I saw on that first link was bands mostly being used for SAQ drills? I don’t see any issue with that, I think it’s one of the best uses for them in fact.

[quote]Backlash79 wrote:
Ryan Lee is really getting on my nerves. Now it seems like every FREAKING webpage you go to is done Ryan Lee style. IRRITATING![/quote]

I thought it was Matt Furey who started that type ad style? In any event, it’s sort of sad that people go for that type of advertising. It just goes to show what kind of people purchase those products.

I know Ryan Lee has been telling personal trainers that they are professionals equal to doctors and lawyers - even though the latter two groups do extensive post-graduate schooling and training. But, hey, get your A.C.E. certification and you should be called professor!

Hahaha, I’ll have someone ask Dick Hartzell about who the “real band man” is. He’ll probably kick his ass in a polo shirt and wind pants after the 2 hours of sleep he gets a week.

I know Ryan Lee has been telling personal trainers that they are professionals equal to doctors and lawyers - even though the latter two groups do extensive post-graduate schooling and training. But, hey, get your A.C.E. certification and you should be called professor!
[/quote]

Check out this page:

www.ryanlee.com

[quote]Backlash79 wrote:
Check out this page:

www.ryanlee.com [/quote]

Good lord! That guy is a marketing machine. He’s the RonCo of the fitness world! I suspect his “services” are similar in quality to the products offered on QVC.

But hey, it is possible to make a nice buck selling a high volume of cheap trinkets.

If you have to market so broadly, it’s pretty obvious you aren’t very good at what you do. Even the best need to do some marketing. But when you are great, word of mouth spreads and your rates increase. You’re able to leverage others’ time. It is like this in any profession. So when some guy is spending so much time marketing, something tells me he’s offering junk.

From the looks of the original link to the “band man,” it seems they are keeping track of referrals.

Man, I am literally sick of these undisclosed referral agreements. If you’re getting a kickback for pimping someone’s products, you should have the integrity to disclose this!

From the looks of the original link to the “band man,” it seems they are keeping track of referrals.

Man, I am literally sick of these undisclosed referral agreements. If you’re getting a kickback for pimping someone’s products, you should have the integrity to disclose this![/quote]

It has hit the point where I assume they are all getting kickbacks.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
It has hit the point where I assume they are all getting kickbacks.[/quote]

Sadly, that is the prudent assumption to make.

In the good old days of T-Nation, there would have been a nice expose on these agreements. But when everyone is doing it, what’s there to expose?

Then again, I actually feel sorry for the newbies who don’t know any better. They really think that an endorsement by someone in the industry means something.

There are, of course, some exceptions. Notably, Dave Tate, who likes Precision Nutrition (what’s not to like, actually?): “This is NOT an affiliate link because I hate that crap. I feel referrals should be earned NOT paid.” http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=51067&tid=124

I gotta find an excuse to order something else from EliteFTS. Yeah, yeah, being ethics should be its own reward. Still, I purchase from ethical people whenever possible. Everyone wins.

I think I’m going to start saving the fat rubber bands I get on bunches of broccoli. Then I’m going to sell them in pairs on ebay as “Thumb, Finger and Hand Resistance Bands.” I’ll have to come up with some mumbo-jumbo about curing carpal-tunnel syndrome.

Backlash79 wrote:
Check out this page:

www.ryanlee.com

Good lord! That guy is a marketing machine. He’s the RonCo of the fitness world! I suspect his “services” are similar in quality to the products offered on QVC.
[/quote]

I know Ryan Lee offers workshops and from browsing the many blogs that I look at that many of the T-Nation authors swear by the guy and his methods. I also know some trainers (that aren’t completely clueless) that swear by his methods too.

However I can’t stand it myself and find that the Ryan Lee method annoys the hell out of me.