T Nation

Who is Our Best Ally These Days?

Our county has changed a lot in the last few years. Obviously. We’re weaker in some ways, stronger in others. Our military is still our military and our men and women are something to be very proud of as an American.

So, as an American, who’s our go to come this July 4th in both relationship and strength. Shit goes down, these guys got our backs. Obviously depends on who’s coming at us (or who we’re going at). Let’s assume aliens or some neutral crew.

Superman’s planet. Can’t remember the name right now. He’ll fix everything.

Krypton my good man. Even still, I wouldn’t trust them. After all, Superman is an illegal immigrant.

[quote]burgerbob wrote:
Krypton my good man. Even still, I wouldn’t trust them. After all, Superman is an illegal immigrant. [/quote]

At least he works for a living and does not accept government handouts.

That is funny though.

The answer to the OP’s question is Australia. If the U.S. is there, so are we, just in a far more limited capacity (due to our signficantly smaller military). We have a long history of supporting the U.S. in conflict and in combined training. Right now there is a major Exercise running in Shoal Water Bay called Talisman Sabre 13. Its run biennially and costs about $50 mil.

[quote]Oldnbroken wrote:
The answer to the OP’s question is Australia. If the U.S. is there, so are we, just in a far more limited capacity (due to our signficantly smaller military). We have a long history of supporting the U.S. in conflict and in combined training. Right now there is a major Exercise running in Shoal Water Bay called Talisman Sabre 13. Its run biennially and costs about $50 mil. [/quote]

I would mostly concur, with the small correction of adding England and then Australia in descending order. True friends and allies in think or thin.

Norwegian politicians love kissing USA ass.

[quote]espenl wrote:
Norwegian politicians love kissing USA ass.[/quote]

Yeah but the OP was specifically asking who would have the United States’ back when the shit went down.

If the Norwegian politicians were kissing the ass of the United States when the shit went down, they’d get shit in their mouths, and probably would be so shocked they would let go of the United States’ back. Unless of course they are into that sort of thing.

England
Australia
Canada

All have brave soldiers who fought bravely in Afganistan. We routinely saved each others’ lives.

Candidly, while there were allegedly folks from other countries there, I never saw them.

I would also put Israel on the list, in that they do the shitty stuff that we can’t (or don’t have the balls to) do.

I suspect Japan will be on the list shortly and India, too.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]thethirdruffian wrote:
England
Australia
Canada

All have brave soldiers who fought bravely in Afganistan. We routinely saved each others’ lives.

Candidly, while there were allegedly folks from other countries there, I never saw them.

I would also put Israel on the list, in that they do the shitty stuff that we can’t (or don’t have the balls to) do.[/quote]
Definitely this. I just wish America was a better ally to Israel. I feel like the day will come (if it hasn’t already) when Israel will just say “You know what America? Fuck you too.”

Australia
England
The Netherlands

All three fought Iraq 1.0, Iraq 2.0 and Afghanistan with us. The Aussies went to Vietnam with us, England sat that one out. The Netherlands comes with England, at least when the Royal Marines deploy.

[quote]csulli wrote:

England
Australia
Canada

I would also put Israel on the list, in that they do the shitty stuff that we can’t (or don’t have the balls to) do.[/quote]
Definitely this. I just wish America was a better ally to Israel. I feel like the day will come (if it hasn’t already) when Israel will just say “You know what America? Fuck you too.”[/quote]

Isreal attacked the USS Liberty during the '67 War. We should have said “Fuck you too” right after that incident. Jordan is a better ally to us now, they would have administered that area much better than Isreal for all of the parties concerned.

[quote]BH6 wrote:
The Aussies went to Vietnam with us, England sat that one out.

[/quote]

Largely true. However a few British SAS went on “training” exercises in country with US forces.

[quote]BH6 wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

England
Australia
Canada

Definitely this. I just wish America was a better ally to Israel. I feel like the day will come (if it hasn’t already) when Israel will just say “You know what America? Fuck you too.”[/quote]

Isreal attacked the USS Liberty during the '67 War. We should have said “Fuck you too” right after that incident. Jordan is a better ally to us now, they would have administered that area much better than Isreal for all of the parties concerned. [/quote]

Yeah. when a friendly fire incident occurs nearly 50 years ago we need to annihilate our allies. A British frigate bombed a US sub with depth charges by mistake 60+ years ago. We should make anyone with a British accent eat their own intestines. Do you have any idea how many friendly fire incidents occur in wartime? Do you have any idea how many independent Congressional investigations have cleared the Israelis and Presidents Carter(he just LOVES Israel BTW,) Reagan, Bush I, Clinton and Bush II. Do you have any idea how much money has been wasted on this nonsense? Still, some “you know whos” killed some Americans once. Don’t want them in my country club. /sarcasm

[quote]BH6 wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

England
Australia
Canada

Isreal attacked the USS Liberty during the '67 War. We should have said “Fuck you too” right after that incident. Jordan is a better ally to us now, they would have administered that area much better than Isreal for all of the parties concerned. [/quote]

A USA F-16 dropped a fricken laser-guided bomb on 14 Canadian soldiers when I was in Khandahar after being told twice they were friendlies and to stand down because he mistook anti-tank fire to be AAA. Four dead, rest wounded.

Shit happens.

[quote]BH6 wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

England
Australia
Canada

A USA F-16 dropped a fricken laser-guided bomb on 14 Canadian soldiers when I was in Khandahar after being told twice they were friendlies and to stand down because he mistook anti-tank fire to be AAA. Four dead, rest wounded.

Shit happens.[/quote]

I remember when that happened. Those four guys were our first deaths in Afghanistan.

This is other than military aid but thought I’d throw this in (found at the 11th ACR web site).

"Thanks to ALL of the countries who helped the U.S. after hurricane “Sandy” & the Oklahoma Tornados.

I think it is highly appropriate at this time we send THANKS to all of the countries that have reciprocated for our help with their disasters, misgivings, social turmoil, & poverty by returning the favor, and sending the United States of America monetary and physical help when “Sandy” ravaged our East Coast leaving dead, homelessness, and pure disaster along with the tornado’s that have hit Oklahoma towns.

Listed below are ALL the countries, and worldwide organizations, that are giving us gracious assistance.
Please assist me in thanking these entities by passing on this email so people from all over America can join in and THANK ALL of our neighbors, to whom we have given BILLIONS!!

1. Israel

Yes, the “list” is complete. So, THANK YOU to the People of Israel!!!
And to the rest of the World it’s time to PULL the PLUG on American foreign aid!!!

There are as many Jews living on the US east coast as there are living in Israel.

I think that might have had something to do with Israel’s decision to provide relief.

Also bear in mind that the bulk of this aid to New York and New Jersey is being carried out through non-governmental organizations, not the Israeli government itself.

THERE YOU ARE!!! I dug up a newspaper article about you complete with picture and everything trying to find you and mailed them my address for you to mail me, but never heard anything. My screen name here @ gmail dot com, You’re right too. Israel is about our only real ally.