Who Is Living Their Dream?

i wish i knew what my dream was.

ive kind of fallen into teaching English as a foreign language. life has never been better job wise. i really like a lot of the kids i teach, my lifestyle is comfortable and the job enables me to travel, which i love. but still, i do think things could be better. could be a lot lot worse, too.

I’ve wanted to be an artist since age 2. Now I am a very busy illustrator (drawing mostly colorful fun stuff).
I work at home. My home is beautiful and relaxing because my wife is an interior designer.
My wife of 23 years is the most beautiful, sexy, and easygoing (no baggage) woman I’ve ever met.
My 16 year old son is a laid-back child prodigy musician, and has a high IQ

So yeah… my life is SET!

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
Years of filth and perversion of mind ruined whatever dreams I’ve ever had.

That being said, on some levels, yes.

I like my career,
I have a career not just a job,
my wife is hot & we get along,
my son is the coolest little man alive,
and I help other people accomplish their dreams everyday.

Some shit could be better, but it could be much much much worse. I generally feel lucky.

what do you do?

An Accountant. I passed the exam, but need to finish the two grad courses I’m enrolled in now, and one more to get my CPA.

I work for a small firm that deals mostly with smaller, family run businesses.[/quote]

Hi 6, bro. I just passed the last part of the exam on Saturday but luckily for me I live in a state where you only need a bachelors to be certified.

I’d say my life is mapping out pretty much how I planned. I’m still never satisfied, though. And I probably never will be. It’s human nature.

I want to become a rocket scientist. Let’s see how that goes.

I don’t think I’m living my dream, but I have a lot to be grateful for:

Job that pays very well, and I only have to work 25 hours or so a week and can be done from home. My only problem with it is it isn’t “fulfilling”. It is a sales job, and I’m not really doing something I love. However, I look at most of my friends and they are making a lot less, and working a lot more.

GF that I will most likely marry. We get along great, she’s hot, and she is about to start a career as a nurse; so she is going to be making decent money.

Great family and friends.

I also like that fact that after about 4 - 5 years, I am finally starting to get the physique I’ve been wanting my whole life.

Im getting there. Graduated from culinary school, externed in France. Now, with no bills, family or responsibility of any sort my plan is to summer in NJ where Im the executive chef of a seasonal seafood restaurant, and spend every winter working in a different place…

South Carolina is first because my brother needs me there but after that im thinking Russia or Spain or Ireland or back to France? Thats the great thing about being a chef. People need to eat everywhere and because of the stress level its an incredibly vagrant industry so there are always jobs opening up.

Just yesterday a couple of co-workers and I had the old “If I won the lottery…” discussion. My good friend said she’d still work. I said I’d quit and do what I really want to: make art and volunteer to work with animals. Make no mistake, working for a bunch of power-tripping clowns who, evidently, flunked the police academy exam, is not my idea of a dream job.

But, it’s honest work, I’m paid fairly well and have comparatively excellent benefits. When I get irritated with Management’s latest bunch of nonsense I often have to take a deep breath and remind myself how blessed I am to have a job at all.

But yea, if I could walk away and get back to what I love, I’d be painting. It’s one of those things you just can’t do well on a part-time basis. Thus, I am not living my dream :(.

I think in many ways, I’ve been “guided” into my dream life. I get to work on movies for a living, and I train for hours in the morning in a terminally warm place (Los Angeles). So I’m happy. Now if I was only married, I’d be very happy…

I just got turned down for a job I really wanted which would have provided a much needed relocation, am currently unemployed and have no direction in life and some how I’m suprisingly happy.

I’m an engineer, and believe me, nobody grows up dreaming about becoming an engineer. It’s not the worst job in the world, by far, and I don’t hate it by any means. But I don’t like anything about it either. It’s essentially trading my time, which I could be using to do something I want to do, for money. And a lot of the money goes to pay off the ridiculous pile of debt accrued to become an engineer.

im on my way to part of my dream. Ill graduate next year with my associates degree in fire science then moving (hopefully) to arizona with a good friend. At which point i will be testing for fire departments. As for the rest of my dream, many ff’s have second jobs and i would like to get into construction, owning a company, flipping houses, something of that sort where im my own boss, i always wanted that. And i was a construction management major before i decided to leave school and focus on becoming a fire fighter.

As for most everyones childhood dream of being rich, that would be awesome. But i will be more than satisfied to love my job, save people, have a constant adrenaline rush, be married, have kids, and own a car, a house, and a motorcycle, maybe even a lake house (pushing it, lol)

As for now yes I am/will be living my dream. I also get to workout everyday which is a major plus.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
I’ve wanted to be an artist since age 2. Now I am a very busy illustrator (drawing mostly colorful fun stuff).
I work at home. My home is beautiful and relaxing because my wife is an interior designer.
My wife of 23 years is the most beautiful, sexy, and easygoing (no baggage) woman I’ve ever met.

So yeah… my life is SET!

[/quote]

Now all you have to do is become an ardent conservative and you’ll truly have it made.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Iron Dwarf wrote:

So yeah… my life is SET!

Now all you have to do is become an ardent conservative and you’ll truly have it made.

[/quote]

Nah. All my Conservative friends are stressed out, miserable, and their marriages are rockier than the Grand Canyon.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
Years of filth and perversion of mind ruined whatever dreams I’ve ever had.

That being said, on some levels, yes.

I like my career,
I have a career not just a job,
my wife is hot & we get along,
my son is the coolest little man alive,
and I help other people accomplish their dreams everyday.

Some shit could be better, but it could be much much much worse. I generally feel lucky.

what do you do?

An Accountant. I passed the exam, but need to finish the two grad courses I’m enrolled in now, and one more to get my CPA.

I work for a small firm that deals mostly with smaller, family run businesses.[/quote]

Congrats on passing your exam! That’s great, man.

I have had several dreams that I have achieved in life and in business. I’m 35 and I don’t have to work anymore if I don’t want to (I made some very good real estate investments that cash flow beautifully).

The way it is with me though, is that I get to the top of one mountain, only to see the base of the next one. I truly enjoy the climb. ( I think I read earlier that someone said it was about the journey, not the destination and I couldn’t agree more )

I love starting new businesses and growing them. They are like children - each one is different and special. I then sell them, or have someone manage them for an equity position. I am still active in real estate and mortgage. It gives me the time and the capital to invest in various other “projects” that keep me busy.

I have majority interest in a holding company that allows my partners and I to pool the assets of various subsidiaries and achieve a synergistic effect on the bottom line.

My Goal was to start and manage a hedge fund, but I am waiting for all of the new regulations to be passed and countered and settle down before I invest or raise capital for that venture. The current political climate seems to want to regulate everything to the point of extinction.

I could never go back to working for someone else. It’s scary sometimes being a business owner and a commissioned sales person person during a recession, but if you have what it takes, you’ll adjust and take advantage of what ever the market throws at you. There is ALWAYS an upside.

Good luck, everyone.

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
I have had several dreams that I have achieved in life and in business. I’m 35 and I don’t have to work anymore if I don’t want to (I made some very good real estate investments that cash flow beautifully).

The way it is with me though, is that I get to the top of one mountain, only to see the base of the next one. I truly enjoy the climb. ( I think I read earlier that someone said it was about the journey, not the destination and I couldn’t agree more )

I love starting new businesses and growing them. They are like children - each one is different and special. I then sell them, or have someone manage them for an equity position. I am still active in real estate and mortgage. It gives me the time and the capital to invest in various other “projects” that keep me busy.

I have majority interest in a holding company that allows my partners and I to pool the assets of various subsidiaries and achieve a synergistic effect on the bottom line.

My Goal was to start and manage a hedge fund, but I am waiting for all of the new regulations to be passed and countered and settle down before I invest or raise capital for that venture. The current political climate seems to want to regulate everything to the point of extinction.

I could never go back to working for someone else. It’s scary sometimes being a business owner and a commissioned sales person person during a recession, but if you have what it takes, you’ll adjust and take advantage of what ever the market throws at you. There is ALWAYS an upside.

Good luck, everyone. [/quote]

You seem like a pretty accomplished guy. Do you have any advice for us younger up and comers? Do you think starting a business now a days is a little different considering everything is so damn expensive?

I was talking to a guy who owns multiple bars and he was saying to open a quality bar today you need $1 million. Back when he got started he had a $30k loan and that was all it took but he says today it’s damn near impossible unless you’ve already got the capital. Your thoughts (not on the bar, just about business in general)?

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

So yeah… my life is SET!

[/quote]

ID, I’m on the path and working my way to that exact dream.

I don’t exactly know the details of how or when, but I want to settle down to that life. That job, sexy wife, sweet kid. Sounds perfect

I fucking hate one of my jobs.

I’m an attorney; so yes, somewhere I took a wrong turn in life.

As a teenager, my worst fear was mediocrity. It was GREATNESS or BUST.

Well, long story short, I failed spectacularly, and now I’m a standout at failure.

But at least I’m not mediocre.