Who is Clever Enough?

9 rolls to get 6 in a row. Too easy if you think about it before you start.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
9 rolls to get 6 in a row. Too easy if you think about it before you start.[/quote]

Yeah, the solution is pretty gay.

If I didn’t google it, I honestly may have never gotten it. I wasn’t thinking that way. i was thinking of patterns or some kind of operation. I worked on it for two hours before I googled it.

[quote]Renton wrote:
Not a sequence as such but how many have/can figure this out?

Took me about 20 mins before I realised and kicked myself for not seeing the answer before.

[/quote]

for some reason I only thought the red ones were important for awhile, it think this game is easier for people that don’t have a mathematical mind-like me-

Pretty easy puzzle but I can see people over thinking it.

The name and the rules gave it away for me. When I got a zero it clicked.

[quote]BostonBarrister wrote:
Here’s another one:

Presidential Order:

In what order have I arranged the Presidents below? (Feel free to do some online research, but don’t just Google this list, etc.):

*  Pierce
*  Tyler
*  Andrew Johnson
*  Truman
*  Theodore Roosevelt
*  Arthur
*  Cleveland
*  Madison
*  Fillmore
*  Coolidge
*  Grant, McKinley
*  Lyndon Johnson
*  Ford
*  Taft
*  Jackson
*  Nixon
*  All other Presidents

[/quote]

Holy crap, couldn’t you find a more obscure criteria? Might as well rank them by their first lawnmower’s horsepower.

[quote]pookie wrote:
BostonBarrister wrote:
Here’s another one:

Presidential Order:

In what order have I arranged the Presidents below? (Feel free to do some online research, but don’t just Google this list, etc.):

*  Pierce
*  Tyler
*  Andrew Johnson
*  Truman
*  Theodore Roosevelt
*  Arthur
*  Cleveland
*  Madison
*  Fillmore
*  Coolidge
*  Grant, McKinley
*  Lyndon Johnson
*  Ford
*  Taft
*  Jackson
*  Nixon
*  All other Presidents

Holy crap, couldn’t you find a more obscure criteria? Might as well rank them by their first lawnmower’s horsepower.
[/quote]

I give up on this one.

[quote]pookie wrote:
BostonBarrister wrote:
Here’s another one:

Presidential Order:

*  Pierce
*  Tyler
*  Andrew Johnson
*  Truman
*  Theodore Roosevelt
*  Arthur
*  Cleveland
*  Madison
*  Fillmore
*  Coolidge
*  Grant, McKinley
*  Lyndon Johnson
*  Ford
*  Taft
*  Jackson
*  Nixon
*  All other Presidents

[/quote]

It’s no fun if it’s not a bit obscure…

Here’s the very obscure answer:

They’re listed in order of the number of days they served without a Vice President. Below are the numbers as I count them (I’m counting calendar dates on which they had no VP. So if a VP left on January 1 and a new one came on January 5, I’m counting that as three days (January 2, 3, 4) with no VP. Note that Pierce and Madison’s time with no VP came in two chunks each. Pierce’s VP, William Rufus King, was sworn in late due to illness, and died soon thereafter. Madison had a vacancy in each of his two terms.

Pierce – 20 days + 1415 days = 1435 days
Tyler – 1429 days
A. Johnson – 1418 days
Truman – 1378 days
T. Roosevelt – 1266 days
Arthur – 1261 days
Cleveland – 1194 days
Madison – 317 days + 831 days = 1148 days
Fillmore – 968 days
Coolidge – 579 days
Grant – 467 days
McKinley – 467 days
L. Johnson – 424 days
Ford – 131 days
Taft – 124 days
Jackson – 65 days
Nixon – 56 days

This one is easy:

There’s a occupation whose name consists of 12 letters. If you insert a hyphen after the second letter, you get an apt description for the profession of a certain prominent (U.S.) public official.

What is it?

This one is easy:

There’s a occupation whose name consists of 12 letters. If you insert a hyphen after the second letter, you get an apt description for the profession of a certain prominent (U.S.) public official.

What is it?
[/quote]

Odontologist?

An odontologist studies teeth. And the “od-ontologist” would be Bush. Ontology being related to the perception of reality, you can certainly agree that Bush is an odd ontologist! :slight_smile:

Very creative, but the one I had in mind is much more obvious for this site.

And it doesn’t require creative spelling… =-)

Maybe my “U.S.” reference wasn’t clear though - it’s not necessarily a federal public official, just a public official in the U.S.

BostonBarrister wrote:
This one is easy:

What is it?
pookie wrote:

Odontologist?

An odontologist studies teeth. And the “od-ontologist” would be Bush. Ontology being related to the perception of reality, you can certainly agree that Bush is an odd ontologist! :slight_smile:

Very creative, but the one I had in mind is much more obvious for this site.

And it doesn’t require creative spelling… =-)

Maybe my “U.S.” reference wasn’t clear though - it’s not necessarily a federal public official, just a public official in the U.S.

[/quote]

The only other 12 letter occupation I could find was “exterminator” (at least among those where the 2-10 split made sense and wasn’t simply an hyphenation of something like coambassador), but “terminator,” while often applied to Arnold, is not a description of his job, is it?

Although “obvious for this site” kinda makes it the only remaining choice.

[quote]superthrustjon wrote:
it’s called google[/quote]

How dare you, sir! How dare you! I’m sure that Neph came up with the answer all by himself. After all, this stuff is like sex for him.

DB

[quote]shizen wrote:
Renton wrote:
Not a sequence as such but how many have/can figure this out?

Took me about 20 mins before I realised and kicked myself for not seeing the answer before.

for some reason I only thought the red ones were important for awhile, it think this game is easier for people that don’t have a mathematical mind-like me-

Pretty easy puzzle but I can see people over thinking it.

[/quote]

Agree completely. I did 15 rolls and had no clue, then I read the Bill Gates article and figured it out. Got my next 6.

That was what I had in mind - in retrospect, you’re right that it would more clearly have been a description of Arnold rather than his profession. Though one could note that he quite often employs his Terminator schtick, it’s still better as a description of him.

Has anyone here tried weffriddles?
www.weffriddles.com

It’s like a long continuous puzzle. Good if you want to kill a few minutes/hours/days/months depending how far you want to go.

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
superthrustjon wrote:
it’s called google

How dare you, sir! How dare you! I’m sure that Neph came up with the answer all by himself. After all, this stuff is like sex for him.

DB[/quote]

You mean it is sex for him.

[quote]Agressive Napkin wrote:
Has anyone here tried weffriddles?
www.weffriddles.com[/quote]

Right up my alley.

Thanks for the link.