T Nation

Who is Clever Enough?

can you tell me the next number in this sequence and explain why?

2
5
5
4
5
6
3
7

whats next?

  1. Those numbers represent the number of segments it takes to display a digit on a calculator, starting with 1, right? So 9 will take the same number of segments as 6, which is 6.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
6. Those numbers represent the number of segments it takes to display a digit on a calculator, starting with 1, right? So 9 will take the same number of segments as 6, which is 6.[/quote]

Your avatar is an actual picture of you. Isn’t it?

Nice job! I’ve been working on the puzzle but NEVER would have thought of that.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
6. Those numbers represent the number of segments it takes to display a digit on a calculator, starting with 1, right? So 9 will take the same number of segments as 6, which is 6.[/quote]

Super job my man I did not expect someone to get it so quick

:slight_smile: I bow to your greatness

Have you seen that before or did you really figure it out that quick?

Jeeze man, I was looking for a key to the sequence.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
Jeeze man, I was looking for a key to the sequence.
[/quote]

See, I didn’t even bother. I just skimmed the sequence, then scrolled for Neph’s avatar. And there it was.

it’s called google

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
6. Those numbers represent the number of segments it takes to display a digit on a calculator, starting with 1, right? So 9 will take the same number of segments as 6, which is 6.[/quote]

Heavy.

Neph, with all due respect, you need to get out more. :slight_smile:

I was trying to figure out a general term for the sequence. Damn, going to university is making me stupid.

Yes, though his avatar isn’t him, Neph is T-Nation’s nerd. But we love him.

Here’s another one:

Presidential Order:

In what order have I arranged the Presidents below? (Feel free to do some online research, but don’t just Google this list, etc.):

*  Pierce
*  Tyler
*  Andrew Johnson
*  Truman
*  Theodore Roosevelt
*  Arthur
*  Cleveland
*  Madison
*  Fillmore
*  Coolidge
*  Grant, McKinley
*  Lyndon Johnson
*  Ford
*  Taft
*  Jackson
*  Nixon
*  All other Presidents

Jeez dude why don’t you try being only relevant to Americans for a change?

[quote]nephorm wrote:
6. Those numbers represent the number of segments it takes to display a digit on a calculator, starting with 1, right? So 9 will take the same number of segments as 6, which is 6.[/quote]

lucky guess :wink:

Not a sequence as such but how many have/can figure this out?

Took me about 20 mins before I realised and kicked myself for not seeing the answer before.

http://www.borrett.id.au/computing/petals-j.htm

[quote]Renton wrote:
Not a sequence as such but how many have/can figure this out?

Took me about 20 mins before I realised and kicked myself for not seeing the answer before.

http://www.borrett.id.au/computing/petals-j.htm[/quote]

ha ha, got it, took me 13 rolls to get 6 correct answers,and one flook

[quote]wukey wrote:
Renton wrote:
Not a sequence as such but how many have/can figure this out?

Took me about 20 mins before I realised and kicked myself for not seeing the answer before.

http://www.borrett.id.au/computing/petals-j.htm

ha ha, got it, took me 13 rolls to get 6 correct answers,and one flook[/quote]

Nicely done mate. I take it you won’t be giving the secret away?

well I didn’t roll enought to get the puzzle, but I did figure out that the song I Rush’s “Red Barchetta” in just a couple notes.

[quote]BigRagoo wrote:
well I didn’t roll enought to get the puzzle, but I did figure out that the song I Rush’s “Red Barchetta” in just a couple notes.[/quote]

This is not right. I got an A for maths. I still don’t get it.

:frowning: