Who is a Hand Writer?

[quote]JaseHxC wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:
SSSSSSSSSSSHHHIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTT!

This will probably get me pegged as a bigger asshole than I already am, but if this kid’s chicken scratch cursive can win an award, then I don’t want to see what the kids with hands at his school are putting down on paper.

I guess it’s pretty inspiring though despite his lame taste in football heroes. [/quote]

The kid’s handwriting is better than most of my college students. In fact, I stopped doing many in class writing assignments because deciphering the handwriting was not worth the time. Of course, now that writing assignments are handed in online I would think that grammar and spelling would improve…

Good penmanship is important, if nothing else it teaches patience and good manual control.

This reminded me of the few times I have used cursive when writing on the chalkboard and having some students not know what the letters were. It was funny when a debate broke out in one class.

Not sure if it was as funny as when I got a complaint during class about a quiz question because a student did not know what one of the words meant. I asked the international students if they had a problem, Nope. Ask the rest of the class (about 200 students) and about a dozen did not know the word. Turns out they all were from the same school district on Long Island. Funny.

<<<<<<<But yes, I have good chalkboard handwriting.

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
Cool thread, BC![/quote]

Thanks, AC.

I have found that even chicken scratch is better than nothing.

I stopped writing all together after my writing got worse from getting my hands stepped on (long snapper, natural target). Now, I practice my handwriting and it is getting better, but I get a better response from the handwritten letters than the typed.

[quote]Nards wrote:

I was going to say they still have penmanship contests/awards at some schools that my friends work at mostly because my friends are like that.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]angry chicken wrote:

[quote]JaseHxC wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

This will probably get me pegged as a bigger asshole than I already am, but if this kid’s chicken scratch cursive can win an award, then I don’t want to see what the kids with hands at his school are putting down on paper.

I guess it’s pretty inspiring though despite his lame taste in football heroes. [/quote]

I think I’m a bigger asshole than you are because I think that’s just bullshit. He should be competing against OTHER kids with no hands, not rendering an entire competition that NORMAL kids participate in (and have better handwriting) irrelevant. This feel-good PC bullshit will never fucking end.

I’ve got an idea: Let’s give EVERYONE a trophy just for being BORN! That way we can ALL feel good about ourselves!

This pathetic liberal approach in fact UNDERMINES self esteem, it doesn’t build it! The cognitive dissonance between performance and reward WILL rear it’s ugly head in one form or another… It’s more about the ego gratification of the pathetic parents anyway… Sorry for the derail, but that shit gets on my fucking nerves to no end.

/hijack [/quote]

I got a trophy for being born. It’s my dick.[/quote]

Small award for such a sacrifice. :slight_smile:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
OH YEAH??? Well…my dick is really big and has been inside of a lot of vaginas.

[/quote]

Sooooooooo Brother Chris, whadda ya think of your splendid thread?
[/quote]

I knew it couldn’t last but decided to shoot it out anyway.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

I knew it couldn’t last but decided to shoot it out anyway.[/quote]

It’s a damned shame when a guy comes along and starts an innocuous thread about handwriting and the dirty dawgs of this world come in and screw it all up. Just a damned shame.[/quote]

Stop hating because your dick never received an award

I love writing by hand, do it all the time. I’m a writer by trade, and since I spend 4 - 6 hours a day typing on a computer, I’ve taken to writing nearly all my fiction by hand, then transcribing it later, save for those moments when my brain is working faster than my hand can write.

I do most of my writing on ‘throw away’ $.05 notebooks I buy right before school’s about to start, and use Clairfontaine for other projects. I sometimes use fountains or dip pens, but most use ball point. At the moment I’m using a pack of black gel pens I got at the Dollar Tree, of all places. They’re very nice to write with. Sometimes I find gold at that place.

I understand the whole not-teaching-cursive anymore, in that people have gravitated from it, and there’s little point in wasting a child’s learning years teaching something almost no one uses. However, I really wish schools would focus on penmanship in general. I’ve looked at letters my grandmother wrote when she was younger – even the handwriting of most elderly people today – and compare it with anyone under 40 (especially under 20), and it’s just shameful.

I had a young man I know, 18 and in the Marines, accomplished at many things and quite brilliant, write me a letter last year, and when I saw his handwriting, I nearly died. It was almost illegible. Looked like a six-year-old wrote it.

I don’t care how advanced technology gets, handwriting is a means for a human to express what is going on instead his head and share it with the rest of the world. It’s an essential skill.

I am a theoretical physicist so I fill up about a tree’s worth of paper with my scribblings in each year…about 5% of which is actually correct and gets seen…does that count? My handwriting of the roman alphabet is atrocious; however, I can write the most beautiful greek letters… Mechanical pencils are my best friend, since the process involves a lot of erasing.

From an analysis done on the first page to pop up on google. The results were mostly accurate but a little off on a couple of points.

On paper my writing is very block like and somewhat neat, straight and flat across the page.
Notes I took for a final were copied by the teacher and passed out to classmates for further study. Some of the comments from others who used them were along the lines of “those were fucking perfect” and “How in the hell did you get all of that down while he was speaking?”

Not artistic by any means, but very precise and accurate in my hand writing.

Draftsman probably have the best handwriting I have ever seen.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]JaseHxC wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

I knew it couldn’t last but decided to shoot it out anyway.[/quote]

It’s a damned shame when a guy comes along and starts an innocuous thread about handwriting and the dirty dawgs of this world come in and screw it all up. Just a damned shame.[/quote]

Stop hating because your dick never received an award[/quote]

You have no idea! It actually has been heavily decorated![/quote]

The Purple Hearts alone…