Who Influenced Your Training Style the Most?

One that had a early impact is probably one that no one probably even knows on here ( but im certain a well known coach on here was influenced by him too a certain extent) his name is Dr Greg Shepherd

Out of curiosity, can you name a few programs from thibaudeau and Meadows that you remember worked particularly well for hypertrophy?

10 years ago it was skip la cour and Dorian Yates, and Dante trudel.

These days itā€™s CT, Jamie Lewis,and chad Waterbury.

10 years from now it will likely be some
System of my own making based on everything Iā€™ve read, learned, and tried along the way, which is kind of where Iā€™m at already by heading more there every year.

Dana Linn bailey

1 Like

it wasnā€™t like this in the beginningā€¦ lol.

I canā€™t say that Iā€™ve read much from him in the last 5 years, but in the 10 years before that, dating back to whenever he first showed up on this site, I read EVERYTHING he wrote. There wasnā€™t so much direct interaction with the ā€˜fan boysā€™, it was mostly articles. CT has never been afraid to try new things, heā€™s constantly reinventing himself, and heā€™s always been willing to admit when heā€™s wrong. Heā€™s also willing to zig when everyone else is zagging. And heā€™s prioritized overall athleticism for most of his career. All of that appeals to me. The current ā€˜ask the coach forumsā€™ do not appeal to me, but I understand why they exist.

Sure! off the top of my head, the pendulum bodybuilding program from CT and the reactive pump program from Meadows. I ran both and got a lot out of both. The pendulum bodybuilding program was the first fully structured, comprehensive program I ever ran. I worked HARD when I ran that. I wasnā€™t a great lifter at the time, but I got a lot out of that.

I learned a lot from the reactive pump log, specifically 2 things. 1. I canā€™t bench twice per week. It destroys my joints, and I get run down very quickly. 2. High volume squats are where itā€™s at. I grew my legs more doing this program than anything else, AND strength improved tremendously. I would actually consider running the leg days again, they were incredible.

1 Like

It is crazy how this is one of the nicest things anyone has ever said about me, especially coming from you you lunatic, haha.

That was also the second time in a week I was referred to as a Terminator. Prior to that, I had a co-worker who referred to me as that for about 2 years.

1 Like

Everyone had nicknames at my last job, and most werenā€™t flattering. Eventually I worked up the courage to ask someone if I had one and what it was, and my friend was hesitant to tell me it was ā€œThe Undertakerā€ because I worked a second job at a funeral home. I was like ā€œuhhā€¦thatā€™s a pretty sweet nickname, why would you be afraid to tell me that?ā€

2 Likes

At my current job, itā€™s Fabio.

I heard that and said ā€œThat name sucks; I canā€™t believe itā€™s not betterā€

6 Likes

@T3hPwnisher be like

3 Likes

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

ā€¦knowing you, i suspect this is some very clever and hilarious pun, but it definitely went straight over my head

I switched to the Atheist brand once. It was called ā€œI canā€™t believeā€

Then I tried a competitor brand called ā€œI canā€™t believe itā€™s not I canā€™t believe itā€™s not butterā€

Turned out it was butter.

1 Like

I knew you wouldnā€™t let me down with the pun.

Also that commercial came out when I was still in diapers, so I feel slightly better about not getting the reference.

And that makes me feel a lot worse aboutā€¦ just everything. God, Iā€™m old

2 Likes

The twist is Fabio and @T3hPwnisher train the same way.

Reading Bill Starrā€™s stuff is what initially got me into serious training instead of just randomly doing whatever I felt like in the gym (not that thereā€™s anything wrong with that, it just doesnā€™t do it for me). Wendler has had the most overall impact on my training though. Actually training with sub max weights instead of testing strength and being as efficient as possible and doing as little as possible to make progress. That mindset has allowed me to consistently get bigger, stronger, and better conditioned over time. I used to lift as hard and as much as I could as many days a week as possible, and I was constantly stalling, getting sick and just burning out.

Frank McGrath - I remember stumbling upon the animal site as a teenager and see him and watching his black and white melodramatic videos doing nothing but the basics. Made me get into training and thought that if only Animal M-Stak was legal in Canada at the time I could look like Frank lol

Chad Waterbury - I bought one of his books and followed programs out of it for about a year. It was the first time I took training seriously and I had great results from it

Meadows - most of my training career has been influenced by his work. Following his stuff and watching his videos made me realize what taking a muscle to failure actually meant and also following his workouts made training a lot more fun

Jim Wendler - Because 5/3/1. Enough said