Who Here Powerlifts?

[quote]All2ez wrote:
ive only done 1 unsanctioned meet but plan on doing 2-3 meets this year when ive recovered to my normal lift numbers after injuring myself.

best lifts for me being a junior 181

Bench-355
Sq- 410 raw- 455 belt/wraps
D/L=525 w/ a belt.

on another note does anyone have any links to articles that can explain how to cut water/weight for weigh-in for competition.[/quote]

I can’t provide a link but I believe there are a few on www.elitefts.com

Also check out ‘The Complete Guide to Power Training’ by Dr. Fred Hatfield. Great book and has a pretty good chapter on cutting. Even thought it is from the early '80s it is a great book. Dr. Squat has a pretty good web site as well.

Just started training (for PL anyway)7 months ago. Planning to compete early next year. Hopefully at 220. Raw at this point. I can’t even stand wearing shoes or a belt.

Squat ~ 405
Bench ~335
DL ~ 425

Bench and squat are pretty natural. DL is a grind.

I competed last January at 165 in a push/pull meet.
Fun stuff.

Did my first meet when I was 17 as a 165. Have competed in 165-220 and involved in the sport off and on for almost 20 years.

I’ve been benching for 7 years now, and follow a modified Metal Militia template.

I’m the only Canadian to bench 800, and am right now packing for AWPC worlds, where I am likely to be schooled by Robert Vick.

I also run a powerlifting gym in Toronto out of my garage; The Anvil.

[quote]OldLifter wrote:
Buckeye Girl. Do you train at Lexen? Danny Dague was one of my training partners back in the day at Westside. Other training partners included- Chuck Vogelpohl, Matt Dimel, Tom Waddle, Kenny Patterson and Mark Marinelli.[/quote]

Yes. I saw your first post and immediately thought of Dan. I thought he was there around that time.

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:
OldLifter wrote:
Buckeye Girl. Do you train at Lexen? Danny Dague was one of my training partners back in the day at Westside. Other training partners included- Chuck Vogelpohl, Matt Dimel, Tom Waddle, Kenny Patterson and Mark Marinelli.

Yes. I saw your first post and immediately thought of Dan. I thought he was there around that time.[/quote]

I have been thinking of sending my 12 year old son out to train at Lexen. Their reputation and prices are both good.

I began competing earlier this year in the SPF, 181, raw. Finished that meet 415, 325, 490 for a 1230 total.

Next full meet is in Nov. and I am shooting for a 1400 total. I have been focusing on my deadlift the past 10 weeks with the Coan DL program (and got ~50# out of it). I plan on training up to my meet with westside.

Right now my best lifts are 450, 345, 545.

I lift in USAPL as an Open 165 female. I’m open to other federations, but USAPL and NASA are the pretty active ones out here. I’ve done three meets so far, all raw (belted). I’m planning to start using a bench shirt and squat/dl suit later this year. I usually do two upper/two lower each week, and I have a coach who tells me what to do.

I compete in strongman, but am thinking about jumping into my first meet sometime in the near future.

Question for those who compete: How do you decide what federation you will compete in, or what meets you do?

For example, in strongman I go to www.nastrongmaninc.com and look for stuff near me. Is there something similar for powerlifting? I realize it’s different because of the different feds and what not. I just don’t know where to start.

Well obviously I’m in too!!!

Best lifts of 600/420/551 in comp at 220lb and a junior, drug free and single ply. I’ve pulled 575 in the gym.

Training’s a bit of a mix of everything really.

My bench training is close enough to pure westside, but I like to get into my shirt for 9 weeks out of every 12 after my ME exercise. I’ve dropped speed bench since it was killing my tri’s. I’m replacing it with 6x3’s on close grips with 70-90%.

Squat’s a total mix. My best results have actually come from having a high rep squat day (PR’s 350x12 and 405x5) and doing DE work off a box before pulling on a seperate day.

My deadlift stinks, I pulled 551 about 6 weeks after starting sumo deadlifts and haven’t PR’d in comp since. I’ve been carrying a hamstring injury since March/April and it’s killing any attempt I make at progress. Hopefully it’s on the way back to full power now. Gonna take 4 or 5 weeks of unilateral work in place of deadlifts to try and straighten everything up and then hit the coan-phillipi deadlfit cycle and make a run at 600.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
I compete in strongman, but am thinking about jumping into my first meet sometime in the near future.

Question for those who compete: Who do you decide what federation you will compete in, or what meets you do?

For example, in strongman I go to www.nastrongmaninc.com and look for stuff near me. Is there something similar for powerlifting? I realize it’s different because of the different feds and what not. I just don’t know where to start.[/quote]

You could go to www.powerliftingwatch.com and you could look for meets there in your area.

I’m interested in doing an SLP meet, I know 4est made a thread awhile back saying that SLP puts on some good meets, and there are quite a few around me.

You might try competing in a raw meet first, just to get a feel for how a meet works, even though every meet is different, it could get you an idea of what to expect.

There is also a series of articles posted over at elitefts you could read talking about first time powerlifters and what they should do to get on the platform.

It just boils down to having fun and enjoying yourself and the company of other lifters imo.

[quote]malonetd wrote:

Question for those who compete: How do you decide what federation you will compete in, or what meets you do?

For example, in strongman I go to www.nastrongmaninc.com and look for stuff near me. Is there something similar for powerlifting? I realize it’s different because of the different feds and what not. I just don’t know where to start.[/quote]

USAPL for this area. Were in WI are you? I believe apwsearch is also in this area. He pointed me to an event in Sept. It’s at The Press in Little Canada, MN. There is also an event in Hudson in Nov, and then another in MN in Feb. I think I am going to go watch the one in Sept. and Nov. I’de like to complete in Feb.

As a side note, is anyone planning on lifting in any of these? If anyone needs help I will be at the first two as an observer.

I’ve been lifting for a little over a year and have started to get into powerlifting a little bit. I’ve yet to compete but have been using a Westside based template.

Current lift #s

345/280/385

Haven’t maxed on those in a few weeks and I’m pretty confident they will be going up soon.

I’m 21 and somewhere between 195 and 200.

calling out to any in the worcester area or near holden? it sucks that no one powerlifts near me and the gym that does my parents claim is to far away with gas as it is (Baystate gym anyone?) so i have a powerrack and much weights, anyone else in the predicament?

[quote]dhickey wrote:
malonetd wrote:

For example, in strongman I go to www.nastrongmaninc.com and look for stuff near me. Is there something similar for powerlifting? I realize it’s different because of the different feds and what not. I just don’t know where to start.

USAPL for this area. Were in WI are you? I believe apwsearch is also in this area. He pointed me to an event in Sept. It’s at The Press in Little Canada, MN. There is also an event in Hudson in Nov, and then another in MN in Feb. I think I am going to go watch the one in Sept. and Nov. I’de like to complete in Feb.

As a side note, is anyone planning on lifting in any of these? If anyone needs help I will be at the first two as an observer.[/quote]

I live in Milwaukee.

Yeah, this was recommended to me years ago:
http://www.wi-usapl.com/
But if you look at the meet schedule, the whole thing is out of date.

Maybe I’ll hit Hudson in November.

I’m part of a powerlifting club at school here in Illinois. We do mostly WABDL and USAPL meets, with a few APF thrown in for good measure. Over the past year, I’ve dropped weight from about 305 to 250 (doing meets at 308, 275, 259, and 242 along the way).

My last meet, I hit 700 / 308 / 628. Squat was double ply, bench was raw (I barely missed 347 on my next attempt :frowning: ), and deadlift was single ply. Screw the raw/equipped debate, do them all!

I just started PL in the past 2 months. I am hoping to compete in November with in the QPF/CPU in the 132 weight class.
I train with a PL club here in Montreal, it’s a new gym and has some great toys. Anyone in the Montreal area who is interested should check it out:
http://www.epicentretraining.com/

My lifts are 120 bench, 165 squat & 215 DL > I hope they go up a lot in the next few months!
Currently doing Sheiko under the guidance of Dave Bates.

Training: 20 years
Competing: 15 years
Weight Classes: 198-242
Feds: AAU, USPF, NASA
Gear: Single Ply Titan F6/Katana, Centurion

Best lifts:
Squat: 640
Bench: 474
Deadlift: 722
Total: 1802 @ 220 lbs.

If anyone is in the Southern California area, we have a pretty decent semi-private gym in El Segundo (South Bay). Look up 4 Star Gym on Main Street in El Segundo. We’re there most Mon Wed Fri at 7:00 pm.

[quote]bignate wrote:
calling out to any in the worcester area or near holden? it sucks that no one powerlifts near me and the gym that does my parents claim is to far away with gas as it is (Baystate gym anyone?) so i have a powerrack and much weights, anyone else in the predicament?[/quote]

Sorry man, I’m in Boston. I got sick of the commercial gym scene so I built my own gym in my basement. The thought of ever training at a Gold’s Gym again makes me cringe.

I’ve heard great things about Baystate. Get over there if you can. How far are you from there? Even if you could train there once a week and then do the rest on your own, it would be a big help.