Who Here Directly Trains Abs?

Just wondering how many people train abs directly, and if you do, how so? (Weighted vs BW,different excersies etc)

Me

1 bodyweight
1 weighted

Hanging legraises
Weighted crunches

Me.

I’m a fan of kneeling cable crunches (I feel it real good if I do 4 sets in a row with only 30 seconds rest)

Also alignment(with added weight).

And inclined situps throwing a medicine ball to a partner.

everyone should train abs directly. Why, if your goals are bodybuilding related, would you neglect training a certain muscle?

Some hanging leg raises. Elevated in a fully extended dip position. I try and add a few more reps or more weight each time. Nothing fancy.

Direct ab training is a must if you ask me. not just for aestethics but for injury prevention as well.

I do Situps with my feet elevated, leg raises, the plank and the side plank.

For those who are interested, my training lab livespill is on that same subject today.

3 x 8 hanging knee raises with 10 kg ankle weights , i dont let my thighs go below parallel to the floor to keep tension in my abs and dragon flags 3 x 5 with perfect form ( these are a killer ) . ill train abs twice a week some times once if they still feel a bit sore .

[quote]lia67 wrote:
i dont let my thighs go below parallel to the floor to keep tension in my abs [/quote]

I do the same thing. Only hit 'em directly when prepping for a contest though. I figure at this point, my abs are plenty thick from years of doing heavy compound work so I can get away without worrying about them most of the time. While dieting, my thinking is that a little extra density in the area will allow them to show better even when not contracting them onstage.

S

Correct me of if i’m wrong… don’t leg raises train the hip flxeors and not the abs? bringing quads towards the torso doesn’t cause flexion in the torso which is the purpose of the abs.

Like i said correct me if i’m wrong. And please no1 say they train the lower abs… facepalm…

[quote]Marzouk wrote:
Correct me of if i’m wrong… don’t leg raises train the hip flxeors and not the abs? bringing quads towards the torso doesn’t cause flexion in the torso which is the purpose of the abs.

Like i said correct me if i’m wrong. And please no1 say they train the lower abs… facepalm…[/quote]
I think your right about the leg raises. But I always feel them in my abs when I do them regardless.

[quote]BruceLeeFan wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

Like i said correct me if i’m wrong. And please no1 say they train the lower abs… facepalm…[/quote]
I think your right about the leg raises. But I always feel them in my abs when I do them regardless.[/quote]

Yeah you feel them because they act as a stabilizer like in many other exercises.

Its crazy how many people actually do them to try and target the abs when it’s not an ab exercise.

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

I think your right about the leg raises. But I always feel them in my abs when I do them regardless.[/quote]

Yeah you feel them because they act as a stabilizer like in many other exercises.

Its crazy how many people actually do them to try and target the abs when it’s not an ab exercise. [/quote]

Depends on the ROM you employ.

S

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

Its crazy how many people actually do them to try and target the abs when it’s not an ab exercise. [/quote]

Some days I’ve been sore from only doing leg raises, how can you explain that?

Two words = Ab Wheel

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

When I do them I’m not targeting anything, I’m just doing leg raises.

DO NOT lock your legs underneath some pad when doing crunches or sit-ups. You work your psoas (hip flexor) and not your abs, contrubuting to anterior pelvic tilt and putting you in flexion more than you already are.

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

wait but dont those hit the lower a… ohhhhh wait

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

wait but dont those hit the lower a… ohhhhh wait[/quote]

I love you greg… ohhhhh wait haha

And to the guy with the kai avatar, they hurt because they are a stabilizer. like i said.

The same way my abs are hurtin now even tho i trained back yesterday.