Who Else Uses Rest Pauses?

[quote]

I’ve gotta agree with Scott, sounds like a bad idea.

This is a perfect example of someone not truly understanding all of the little details that go into making a successful program and trying to tweak an already successful program (happens to DC probably more than any other program that I see) to try to “improve” it.

bmar22,

You can do this program if you really want to, but don’t say that you weren’t warned against it if you get hurt/don’t get much benefit out of it.[/quote]

sentoguy you’ve always given me great advice so dont take this as me trying to prove you wrong im just trying to understand. im just not understanding where your thinking is? what i posted above is a similarity about DC where you hit muscles every 3 days. im technically doing the same volume as DC and same structure just changed how i would like to work body parts. im technically no doing it as intense. DC has 23 rps and a static hold. Im doing maybe 4 rps. and all it is is just me exhausting the muscle, same as any other routine. im just doing it in 1 set.

like i said above Im doing only ONE set per body part not more? I do agree though that people do fuck up DC alot Ive read plenty of horror stories about it so I do agree for sure but correct me if Im wrong but I dont see how it would be incorrect to do it this way.

again. thanks all for the help!

You don’t get it.

DC is doing 3 rps while you are doing 5. It is unnecessary. DC is hard enough to recover from and with your program you will very likely burn out or injure yourself?

If you are so set into these DC principles why not just do DC and save yourself from all this headache?

do you guys ever do these with partials after your last fail set of 1-3 reps? Like immediately crank out 3-4 partial reps off the chest on incline press or something comparable.

And do you ever run the rack and lower weight after that? Do the same rest/pause method but with less weight?

I’m just throwing ideas around here. I’m not familiar with this “DC training”, but I am interested

[quote]bmar22 wrote:

like i said above Im doing only ONE set per body part not more?

[/quote]

Same thing for DC my friend…
1 rp set (3 rp) + warmups

If you train all out with a RP set on Monday and are ready to train that same body part again Wednesday you are either a super freak with elite genetics for bodybuilding(Ronnie Coleman level recovery) or not able to generate the kind of intensity that some of us are with our work sets. I don’t know anything about you training wise so don’t take that as an insult but situation two is much more likely.

Monday-Friday same body parts
Wednesday-Monday same body parts

You might be looking at outdated info when Dante had SOME people training each body part twice a week as opposed to the current rotating schedule.

Again though… Dante has tried more RPs, he’s tried more sets, different splits, different frequencies etc. Why would you feel that your method will work better than what has been proven to work with guys ranging from average Joe to top 10 Olympia pros.

[quote]bmar22 wrote:
sentoguy you’ve always given me great advice so dont take this as me trying to prove you wrong im just trying to understand. im just not understanding where your thinking is? what i posted above is a similarity about DC where you hit muscles every 3 days.
[/quote]

Well, first, you don’t hit the same muscle every 3 days on DC, you hit it every 5-6 days (like Monday, Friday, Wednesday, etc…).

You are doing 1 extended set, as DC does. But the fact that you said you “usually try to shoot for 4-5 RP’s” is a big difference. The fact that you are going to try to keep going until you are trying to grind out a single rep also greatly increases the risk of injury (especially on certain exercises, and exercise selection is something that you haven’t gone into yet).

Second, where did you read that DC has 23 RP’s and a static hold?

Ok, well first I’d take Scott’s suggestion to try to stick somewhere between 11-20 for your total reps for an exercise (maybe even 11-30 depending on whether you plan to use DB’s for any exercises), and stick to only using 3 RP’s. Trust me, you will still gain plenty of strength doing it this way.

Trying to continue to grind out RP’s until you can only grind out one rep is going to really be asking for trouble, especially on exercises like squats, deads, flat bench, or heck just about any exercise that’s going to allow you to use any kind of substantial weight.

Try kicking up an 8RM pair of DB’s into position for that 5th RP, when your muscles are already exhausted, not fun or a good idea.

Perhaps the only types of exercises you might safely be able to get away with this on (in the long run) would be machine exercises, and you’d better be damn sure to still have a competent spotter nearby.

Plus, while doing multiple singles, and doubles might be good for a powerlifter, a BB’er is probably better off sticking to higher rep ranges whenever possible.

That’s most likely one of the reasons why Dante rarely suggests using RP’s ranges below 11 (which might be something like 6,3,2), anything below that and you’re pretty much doing a powerlifting type of workout.

And even then, generally you start out using higher RP ranges and continue to add weight until eventually your reps fall down to 11 (or less in which case you try to increase them, and if not possible switch out the exercise and start the process over).

Really I can’t think of any potential benefits of doing this routine that could not be gained by doing DC as it is written. If you’ve been told that you aren’t ready for DC, then do everything in your power to get where you need to be (if your heart is really set on doing RP’s).

Do a basic powerbuilding routine (like 5x5 or WS4SB) that is designed to get your strength up and put muscle on your frame, and eat food until the scale rises and continues rising until you reach your goal.

Then give if you still want to, do DC as it is written. That’s my advice anyhow.

No matter how you slice it IMO 5rp sets is dumb.

shit. I meant to say 2-3 rest pauses haha not 23 my bad. But hey you all make very very good points and it really does make sense.

Let me ask one more things in terms of DC sice it seems like its turning out to be leaning toward this: I though DC hit bp every 4 days. they have a

split 1
split 2
off
repeat

or is it different now?

Ill cool out on the rp’s ill hit it hard enough where I can only get 3. In your all opinions do you think its ok to go with the split I am planning on

split 1
chest
tri
shoulder
abs
calves

split 2
back th
back wi
quads
hams
bis

maybe a mon-wed-fri split or a
mon-tues-thurs fri split

or would you not suggest that either.

thanks again guys thats why I come to you all first lol for some honest blunt advice haha!

That is not done anymore, it is
1 on 1 off 1 on off 1 on 2 off

The problem I see is your doing the two hardest body parts(back and legs) together… they over lap each other and will leave you dead if you plan on training to failure on both(especially with RP).

I would use DC’s split of

Chest Shoulders Triceps Back

Biceps Forearms Legs

over that any day, done MWF.

RP is a regular part of my training.

[quote]Scott M wrote:
That is not done anymore, it is
1 on 1 off 1 on 1 off 1 on 2 off

The problem I see is your doing the two hardest body parts(back and legs) together… they over lap each other and will leave you dead if you plan on training to failure on both(especially with RP).

I would use DC’s split of

Chest Shoulders Triceps Back

Biceps Forearms Legs

over that any day, done MWF. [/quote]

Agreed.

So for example training on a MWF schedule your split would look like this:

Mon- “A1” (Chest, Shoulders, Triceps, Back width, Back thickness)
Tues- Off
Wed- “B1” (Biceps, Forearms, Calves, Hamstrings, Quads)
Thurs- Off
Fri- “A2”
Sat- Off
Sun- Off
Mon- “B2”
Tues- Off
Wed- “A3”
Thur- Off
Fri- “B3”
Sat- Off
Sun- Off
repeat until you need to take a back off (or “cruise” period).

To Bmar22:

I have been using rest-pauses for a long long time(not right now though).

However, your 8-7-5 and on and on thing looks very irregular.
Let’s say you do db bench presses with a certain weight for 8 reps until positive failure…Then you drop the db’s or just rest them on your knees and after 20+ seconds you continue db pressing. I guarantee you could never lift more than 4 reps. So the rest-pause rep scheme would be maybe an 8-4-2-1. That as long as you go to failure each time.

You could use rest-pause though without going to failure on each phase of the whole set.