T Nation

Who Else Uses Rest Pauses?

Im getting ready to start a new routine where for the first 3-4 weeks Im going to do all rest pauses and then 2-3 weeks of a regular 5 day split.

Essentially Im going to do one big set of a given lift and just rest pause the hell out of it until I cant do one rep. So ill aim my first rest pause to be around 8 reps and then Ill just go from there.

it might look something like this in reps

8,7,5,3,2,1,1 (total hypothetical. I usally shoot for about 4-5 rest pauses)

how many have done something similar or who thinks this will be effective.

my split if anyones curious will be (you’ll notice similarities of DC)

day1
chest, tri, shoulder, quads, abs

day2
back width, back thickness, bi, hams, calves

off
off or repeat

thanks!

for arms and back i do

[quote]bmar22 wrote:
it might look something like this in reps

8,7,5,3,2,1,1 (total hypothetical. I usally shoot for about 4-5 rest pauses)
[/quote]

5 rest pauses? You are probably not hitting the weight with enough intensity or resting too much to get to 5 rest pauses.

ill rest about 15-20 sec. max. i do go to failure aswell. maybe i just recover faster. ill try hitting it harder and see how I do.

I think it’s a bad idea the way you are planning on doing it… RP with 3 failure points 11-20 total reps works extremely well, why do you think your way is better?

I did rest pause wih 10 seconds rest doing 5-4-3-2-1 with front squats and deadlifts, in the same workout…yup, was not easy at all.

Still a good technique for any body part imo.

Sorry-- DC Newb question. Please explain “Rest/Pause”.

Is that like (just making up numbers) doing a set of 8 (say to failure), waiting a few seconds then doing as many as you can, say 4, then doing again, say 1 or 2 or however many?

Am I over simplifying that?

You aren’t oversimplifying it. In a DC style rest pause set(which all of these multi rep style RP sets are copying) it’s

Reps to failure(6-10)
10-15 deep breaths
reps to failure (2-4)
10-15 deep breaths
reps to failure (1-3)

do you put the weights down during the pauses?

I <3 RP.

[quote]Scott M wrote:
I think it’s a bad idea the way you are planning on doing it… RP with 3 failure points 11-20 total reps works extremely well, why do you think your way is better? [/quote]

Im not quite sure if “better” is the best way to describe my thinking (and it is just my thinking thats why I posted this to run it by you guys) BUT right now my main goal is to focus on strength and the muscle will come (assuming my nutritin is on point. which it will be) so I want push my muscle through their ‘strength boundaries’ so I will pick a weight I can do 8 reps and then I will just rest pause until I cant go on to do 1 rep. And if I do it right I should only get 3 rp’s but you never know. The whole idea is to just keep ‘truckin’ and force your muscles to keep lifting. This is where the DC training comes into play. Ill flip A, B, and C workouts so when I come back to my A workout I will be 5+ lbs stronger. It is very similar to DC except Im just going to do as many rp’s as I can.

[quote]honest wrote:
do you put the weights down during the pauses?[/quote]

Yes.

rp4life !

[quote]bmar22 wrote:
Scott M wrote:
I think it’s a bad idea the way you are planning on doing it… RP with 3 failure points 11-20 total reps works extremely well, why do you think your way is better?

Im not quite sure if “better” is the best way to describe my thinking (and it is just my thinking thats why I posted this to run it by you guys) BUT right now my main goal is to focus on strength and the muscle will come (assuming my nutritin is on point. which it will be) so I want push my muscle through their ‘strength boundaries’ so I will pick a weight I can do 8 reps and then I will just rest pause until I cant go on to do 1 rep. And if I do it right I should only get 3 rp’s but you never know. The whole idea is to just keep ‘truckin’ and force your muscles to keep lifting. This is where the DC training comes into play. Ill flip A, B, and C workouts so when I come back to my A workout I will be 5+ lbs stronger. It is very similar to DC except Im just going to do as many rp’s as I can.

[/quote]

I’ve gotta agree with Scott, sounds like a bad idea.

This is a perfect example of someone not truly understanding all of the little details that go into making a successful program and trying to tweak an already successful program (happens to DC probably more than any other program that I see) to try to “improve” it.

bmar22,

You can do this program if you really want to, but don’t say that you weren’t warned against it if you get hurt/don’t get much benefit out of it.

[quote]MeinHerzBrennt wrote:
honest wrote:
do you put the weights down during the pauses?

Yes.[/quote]

No, this is why the reps decrease. You use one weight for all 3 of the rest-pauses.

i meant put the weights down physically, not in terms of weight, i wasnt sure if you are squatting for example, if during the pause you put the weights back or rest while holding it on your shoulders :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

[quote]honest wrote:
i meant put the weights down physically, not in terms of weight, i wasnt sure if you are squatting for example, if during the pause you put the weights back or rest while holding it on your shoulders ;P[/quote]

Oh LOL, yeah you would put it down.

Here’s my thought process here… if I incline press Monday afternoon and get 8+3+1RP I will be sore until Wednesday evening/Thursday morning, Friday is the very earliest day I can train that muscle again hard.

You want to…

A) train with more RPs possibly(ie more to recover from)
B) train more frequently(ie less recovery time)

and that doesn’t add up for me.

[quote]honest wrote:
i wasnt sure if you are squatting for example, if during the pause you put the weights back or rest while holding it on your shoulders ;P[/quote]

You don’t rest pasue if you are squatting in DC, for safety reasons.

[quote]Scott M wrote:
Here’s my thought process here… if I incline press Monday afternoon and get 8+3+1RP I will be sore until Wednesday evening/Thursday morning, Friday is the very earliest day I can train that muscle again hard.

You want to…

A) train with more RPs possibly(ie more to recover from)
B) train more frequently(ie less recovery time)

and that doesn’t add up for me. [/quote]

can you ellaborate more on why if im not sore on wednesday why i have to wait til fri when im doing only 1 set per muscle.

this is not a routine where Im doing a total of 15 rp sets per muscle im doing one set! it wont take me 5 days to recover from 1 set.

1 set of chest
1 set of shoulder
1 set of tri

ect
ect
ect

this is another similarity about DC where you hit muscles every 3 days. im technically doing the same volume as DC and same structure just changed how i work body parts.