Who Else Loves Cold 'n Snow?

I woke up yesterday to a thermometer reading of 43 degrees (f), with the windows open. At first I was all “OMG, it’s total heaven to be so cozy-warm under the covers,” but then I was like “Ohhhhh shit! I have to go out there, into the cold house. I’m gonna have to SHOWER out there!” First time this year I didn’t want to put my feet on the floor in the morning.

What’s funny is that by January 43 degrees will seem like shorts and t-shirt weather.

1 Like

I love the cold. Here in the UK winter in VERY mild. WE get a bit of snow - but its over and done in a week.

I did spend some a holiday in Norway - north of the Artie Circle. It got to -25C. Or -13F for the Americas. No idea of wind chill. All I do know - my beard froze over.

I was never happier. I even popped to the shop (about 50m away) in a tee shirt at 21.00 on the 22nd of December. I’m guessing it was well below -30C. I hate the warm.

1 Like

Spraying rioters with water in the winter seems like a fun idea.

2 Likes

Winter means: no panhandlers. No rioters. Fewer burglaries. No black flies or mosquitoes. No pork sweats. Lower electric bill. Acceptable to cover all jiggly parts in sweatpants and hoodies.

3 Likes

I guess all things are relative. The coldest I’ve ever been was working on a rig for British Petroleum. I was cold back in the office in Scotland. It’s like you guys hide the Sun for six months.

I love to visit the cold, but working in it is like torture. I’m much happier at 90-100*

Grew up in Wisconsin and went to school in Iowa. I know cold. We had a day where the windchill hit -45F in Iowa during college and the only reason they called off classes for the day was that they couldn’t get the diesel campus buses started. I found this out after I walked to my first class and my contacts froze to my eyes.

That said, Wisconsin is awesome in my opinion. Beautiful nature, tons of lakes and unexplored wilderness, and a great state park system for camping/outdoor recreation. Iowa felt colder than Wisconsin mostly due to the prevailing north wind and the lack of hills to stop it (wind chill worse).
Taxes in both states are reasonable too…just stay out of Illinois.

1 Like

Similar to MN, but I think taxes are a bit better in WI.

When people come to visit from other states, many will mention that they did not know how many trees were in MN, and that even in the burbs it is like living in a forest.

Iowa doesn’t have as much going for it IMO.

1 Like

Unless you really like wind turbines and bacon that is.

I spent a weekend ice fishing on Mille Lacs lake one year and people think I am crazy for sleeping out on the ice. It was 28-32" thick and they literally plow roads through the snow on the lake. Lots of fun.
Edit: apparently the video is still up on youtube - trip starts about 13 minutes in

1 Like

Lots of drama with Mille Lacs these days. DNR keeps restricting / banning walleye fishing based on their net results. Others do net tests and pull in more walleye, and think the DNR is not testing enough (using a few low tests). The resorts on the lake are really pissed.

I am not much of a fisher, so not much impact to me. I was up their spring of 2019, and it was quite nice.

Oddly enough, none of our woke residents seem to have the same enthusiasm for violence in Maine as they do in other places. Maybe it’s the cold, maybe it’s the constitutional carry laws and near-guarantee of armed resistance.

Riots aside, I’m very pleased to have no interactions with…

Venomous creatures, bot flies, animals that eat people, tropical diseases, tropical storms, earthquakes, sinkholes, floods, mountains that often catch fire, fire ants, or West Coast Liberals.

I’ll take the short list of winter, moose, ticks, East Coast Liberals and black flies to work at avoiding.

2 Likes

Nothing quite like a wrench slipping when it’s O*F and you rap your knuckles against a cold engine block. Or maybe I just had a shitty truck growing up.

I ski a lot and grew up on the reservation where our main revenue is ski-related. So I know snow. But we don’t get much wet snow (mainly powder or things that are almost pellets) and spring it’s well above freezing during the day.

I think what I don’t like is wet cold and no Sun.

1 Like

All we have is wet snow and wet cold lol (Alabama). 90% humidity year round!

Spent plenty of my life at Fort Rucker. I know Alabama.

May have a couple of kids around a base there, but I hope not.

2 Likes

6 months? I wish. We measure summer in weeks over here even in the sunny south.

1 Like

We have an odd weather system. The Gulf stream from Mexico brings warm air over the pond. And western Europe benefits. All the time this is going we are doing okay. I mean London is further north and Calgary…

Once we get a bit of wind from Russia we freeze. But its not common.

The North Sea is chilly though. And I can imagine the wind chill over the water being a bit much.

1 Like

Really bad for instability in the snowpack, but a pretty fun condition to ski.

1 Like

I can’t remember what the big protest was about, it was before George Floyd, so shutting down or masks or something. Anyway, people were all riled up nationally and of course the news was covering the protests. Here? Like four people huddled in the spitting snow outside the state house. Hahaha.

I think for us, it’s either summertime and too nice outside to get too worked up, or it’s winter, and too cold.

We’re also insulated here by a hokey neighborliness that allows all but the most fanatic rednecks or wokes to live and let live.

2 Likes

I’m in upstate NY and i enjoy the cold and snow. Waterfowl hunting gets to be a lot of fun once it gets icy and migratory flock up. The kids enjoy sledding and all that stuff. Snowmobiling is great. All that being said, by late March early April I’ve had enough. Spring is a cold grey muddy mess.

1 Like

Learned a new word, today. Thank you.

Instability is an understatement. You consistently get slides from it. Worse is when it’s under a layer of normal snow.

For those that don’t understand what we are talking about, it’s this weird snow that looks like Dipping Dots (sans color). I’ve never seen it anywhere by mountains in NM and Afghanistan.

I think it might have something to do with really high elevation surrounded by desert.

1 Like