T Nation

Who Else is Arms Dominant?

I get a biceps pump when I train back, my triceps work harder than my pecs on bench. I’ve been using straight arm pulldowns for lats and flyes for pecs. Any other ideas for isolating the upper body?

Reverse flyes, face pulls for back. I’m sure there’s more, but I can’t think of them right now. Try pre-fatiguing your triceps for bench, your pecs will work harder, same with biceps when you do any kind of rows. Best I can think of being half-drunk.

pre-exhaust works pretty good. regular db flys then bench presses. also cable pullovers followed by either pull downs or pull ups.

snatches and cleans

[quote]Kulturkampf wrote:
Reverse flyes, face pulls for back. I’m sure there’s more, but I can’t think of them right now. Try pre-fatiguing your triceps for bench, your pecs will work harder, same with biceps when you do any kind of rows. Best I can think of being half-drunk.[/quote]

bad advice on prefatigue, good idea yes, but the muscle you want to target first your should work. if you want your pecs to cop the stimulus work do flyes then bench.

You could try not doing the portion of a rep that is mostly arms. For example the top of a bench press or chinup. 1 1/4 lifts are a good way to implement that.

[quote]Thomas Gabriel wrote:
You could try not doing the portion of a rep that is mostly arms. For example the top of a bench press or chinup. 1 1/4 lifts are a good way to implement that. [/quote]

This is excellent advice. I focus more of the lower part of my chins (trying to minimize bicep assists), as well as focusing on the lower part of chest presses (when the chest is more dominant, instead of Tris).

TC once wrote about doing 1 1/2 reps to get extra stress out of an area like this (works great with benches actually)

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Thomas Gabriel wrote:
You could try not doing the portion of a rep that is mostly arms. For example the top of a bench press or chinup. 1 1/4 lifts are a good way to implement that.

This is excellent advice. I focus more of the lower part of my chins (trying to minimize bicep assists), as well as focusing on the lower part of chest presses (when the chest is more dominant, instead of Tris).

TC once wrote about doing 1 1/2 reps to get extra stress out of an area like this (works great with benches actually)

S
[/quote]

I’ve done these too, doing the first 1/4 rep from the chest then going back to the chest and pressing a full rep.

Thibs wrote about it here (and also about the opp problem for ppl who are chest dominant):

I used to be really arms dominant as well so I started doing rep and a half’s on bench press for chest and straight arm pulldowns for my lats. It ended up working wonders for my chest and back. Give it a shot and see what works for ya.

I’m definately torso dominant, but i prefer hitting my weak body parts (arms) after main lifts rather than pre-fatiging. Doing it like this, I can concentrate on progressing in the main lift.

If you want a certain muscle to contract you may need to reduce the weight and work on form and forcefully contracting the desired muscle. Pre-exhaust and partials can also greatly help, as mentioned above.

[quote]Majin wrote:
If you want a certain muscle to contract you may need to reduce the weight and work on form and forcefully contracting the desired muscle. Pre-exhaust and partials can also greatly help, as mentioned above. [/quote]

Yeah i used to think i was arm dominant until i learned proper form.

[quote]Majin wrote:
If you want a certain muscle to contract you may need to reduce the weight and work on form and forcefully contracting the desired muscle. Pre-exhaust and partials can also greatly help, as mentioned above. [/quote]

IF you can achieve consistent progression whilst doing this, you’re set

[quote]StephenD wrote:
Majin wrote:
If you want a certain muscle to contract you may need to reduce the weight and work on form and forcefully contracting the desired muscle. Pre-exhaust and partials can also greatly help, as mentioned above.

Yeah i used to think i was arm dominant until i learned proper form.[/quote]

I agree with this also. I’m not sure if the OP is a beginner or not, but unless he is advanced I would assume he is probably just not properly focused on training the proper muscle during a given exercise. I used to get a bad bicep pump and they would fatigue way before my back when I first started lifting, not anymore.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Thomas Gabriel wrote:

S
[/quote]

Even though I’ve printed out and read that article a zillion times, I just for the first time did 1 1/2 reps on bench today and felt a pump in my chest for I think the first time ever from benching.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:

Even though I’ve printed out and read that article a zillion times, I just for the first time did 1 1/2 reps on bench today and felt a pump in my chest for I think the first time ever from benching.

[/quote]

I still do this occassionally at the end of my chest session. I don’t usually use flat bench work, but will sometimes incorporate flat BB 1 1/2 reps at the end (non lockout) just to really torch my pecs. I always leave with a great pump (‘oh sure, act like you’re not impressed’ -lol)

S

Has anyone mentioned exercise selection?

I think CT had an article about this a while back.

Off hand I would say for Chest doing Dumbbell Bench or doing Incline anything would be less dominant.

For Back I would think that wider-grip, behind the neck chins and pulldowns, pull-overs, and Hammer Machines would be good.

Actually, I’d say Hammer Machines are good at isolating the muscle you want no matter what.

One “crutch” at least for rows that’s worked for me is to use wrist straps, they allow me to pull more with my elbow and back than with my biceps.

I actually do a lot more 2 arm DB rows instead of using the barbell. I get a much better back contraction without stressing my biceps as much.

S

[quote]Majin wrote:

I also believe that form is the MOST important thing that you need to have right before you can properly do an exercise and feel it in the propoer muscle group. Body awareness is key to making big gain’s, getting past plateaus and reducing the chance of injury.

I was also very arms dominant. believe it or not but stretching the certain muscle groups to feel where and how they respond to stimulus is how i learned to really focus on the muscle. I used to attempt lat pull downs/pull ups/bench/flys like crazy with no advancement then recently I found out that I have a protracted shoulder girdle. my chest was crazy tight, as well as my lats. been stretching everyday and I can already notice my posture getting better and I am able to lift way more on said exercises after only a few weeks. I can also “feel” the muscle actually doing the excercise, where as before I was really just going through the motions.

this was all learned after 6 years of training