T Nation

Who Eats During Training?

Now I'm not talking liqid nutrition here, that's understandable.

And I'm also not talking about during cardio/SST/GPP either.

Just during heavy lifting. Becasue the other day I was making some chicken wings and they got done right after I finished deadlifting (I lift in the garage) so I sauced them up and ate them while I finished with dips. Maybe if i ate enough it would be a good way to progress weight from set to set :wink:

just curious

Do you have a problem with bulimia? There's a hotline you can call before this goes too far.

uh..that's a new one on me brother...but whatever floats your boat my man!

When I train I put my all(100%) into the workout.
I'm not eating something or on my cell phone talking ,like most guys in the gym.
I can't lift weights with something heavy in my stomach anyway.
I usually drink water or apple juice when working out.

Yeah... I have absolutely no desire for solid food during training. I get thirsty as hell, but gnawing on some meat as I try to catch my breath from squats doesn't sound like fun...

After I'm done training though, I'm absolutely starving.

Also, from an advice perspective, I really wouldn't recommend eating during your workout, unless it's at the VERY tail-end of it.

What type of dips did you use? BBQ, Honey Mustard, Blue Cheese...?

I don't recommend it. First of all if your lifting with intensity you should be you wouldn't be able to stomach solid food.

Another problem that would arise (same happens if you eat to soon before a workout) Your blood goes to your stomach to digest the food; therefore there is less blood to go into the muscles. You wouldnt obtain a pump nor would your body transport very important nutrients, etc. to the muscle cells.

I am sure this guy is being a wise a55...because who in their right mind thinks about chikcen wings in between sets of deadlifts and doing dips???

And after a hard workout let alone a leg workout, I can't see myself eating anything other than slamming a nice ice cold shaker of Surge...

You beat me to it.

Well, in your avatar you've got that look on your face that says you're just about ready to puke your lungs out. Is that because of post chicken-wing nausea?

Applejuice is for pussies.

I eat when I lift, but none of those pussy bitch shakes though. I eat Surge, by the handfull. Yep, I just grab a handfull of powder and throw it in my mouth. Chew, inhale, snort, lick, whatever gets it in me.

I SOMETIMES eat it with cookie crisps.

Why would you eat during training?? When you eat, all the blood will go to digestion. If you don't break before you lift, the blood will not go to your muscles and you will not get the most out of your lift, or what they call a pump. Also read up on your GI index

[quote]Ryu13 wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:
When I train I put my all(100%) into the workout.
I'm not eating something or on my cell phone talking ,like most guys in the gym.
I can't lift weights with something heavy in my stomach anyway.
I usually drink water or apple juice when working out.

Applejuice is for pussies.

I eat when I lift, but none of those pussy bitch shakes though. I eat Surge, by the handfull. Yep, I just grab a handfull of powder and throw it in my mouth. Chew, inhale, snort, lick, whatever gets it in me.

I SOMETIMES eat it with cookie crisps

Talk about pussies. First off you don't want to eat anything during training! Blood will go to digestion instead of the muscles. So before you go callin other people names, learn your own facts.

Actually,I drink spirulina juice too,before and while working out.
To be honest,I feel like king kong when I drink it:very strong.

I just get cramps whenever I workout with a full stomach.
This pussy drinks spirulina juice and apple juice because it gives me much energy and I get to catch up on my fruit consumption for the day...which fights cancer.
Surge doesn't FOOOOOOOOL!!!

I have eaten during training many, many times...

no need now as my current workouts only last about an hour, but back when I trained with a bunch of powerlifters we'd have a four hour workout at least once a week...I brought food with me and chowed down in between exersizes...

there's no way I could have made it through one of those crazy training sessions without plenty of grub...

i agree with the others. wait till after you're done. rest and digest.

I would puke. BTW, how many of you guys get the urge to hurl or do hurl when you lift hard. It happens to me every once and awhile and I don't know many other people who have the problem. Then again most don't eat as often or lift like I do, most people I know anyway. I'm sure there's LOTS of us.

That's the thing i didn't think i could workout with a bunch of wings in me but it ddn't seem to be as bad as I thought it might. I always get in during WO nutrition.

Mwahahaha... ranch, actually. for real.

Not quite but close. That is me at my very smallest (168#, puke) in the middle of a huge wrestling/BJJ competition. That pic was after 6 rounds with another 7 fights to look forward to. I figured it would be appropriate to use a pic of me at my tiniest and with a handicapped facial expression for T-Nation.