Who Eats 1g Protein per Pound/BW?

Before I started my log I was winging it on protein intake trying to get 1g/pound and under shot it by 40-60 grams a day when I weighed 180 at the time. Now I bought a scale it made tracking macros much easier. From using it often enough I made some approximations that simplify measurements quite a bit.

The rule I use for very lean meat like chicken is that it has 100 grams of protein(or at least the chicken breast/tenders I buy approximate this very closely) per pound. I also found whatever lean ground beef per pound has that percentage per pound times 100 for grams so a pound of 95 lean would be 95 grams, 93 lean 93 grams, 88 lean 88 grams. This makes it easier to calculate in my head than dealing with the protein per serving on the package per 3oz or 4oz serving. I also like eggs and my tuna is 40 grams a can.

I’ve sort of been doing GOMAD for a year now, just with less solid food
1 gallon of whole milk is 128g protein
I add 4 scoops whey to it and drink it throughout the day. BAM 208g already. Thats about 3000 calories. I’ll save a little until right before bed and throw in a scoop of casein or two. During the day I’ll eat a steak and some eggs and veggies or some roast beef sandwiches. Sometimes I make tons of hamburger helper with ground turkey.
Everything together usually comes to around 250-280 g protein. I weigh 200 ish now so I’ll prolly have to increase my intake soon

Anyway, GOMAD is very convenient and easier to do than it seems. It is also surprisingly cheap unless you buy organic. The hormones and steroids in non-organic milk are probably a plus anyway haha

LMAO AT 200 GRAMS BEING SOO MUCH. I eat 300 plsu without even trying

I stopped counting macros and calories a long time ago, but at a weight of about 180 lbs I’ve never found it difficult to get at least 200 g of protein per day. My easy-peasy calculation: 200 g / 4-5 meals per day = 40-50 g of protein per meal. This has never been a problem, especially since dinner is usually comprised of a hunk of meat.

I weigh 220-230 and get in 250g of protein a day, without much difficulty. Beef, chicken, tuna, eggs, greek yoghurt, whey etc.

It’s not that hard mate, seriously. 1kg of raw chicken breast is over 200g of protein. Similar values for other meats. In Australia, that’ll set you back less than $10.

just stop lifting bird man

If you’re reaching your goals, then maybe you’re actually eating enough. /shrug. Any dietary recommendations are guidelines: what really matters is what works for you and helps you achieve your goals.

What would you guys say is the cheapest source of protein? Eating, like, 15 chicken breasts a day really adds up. I know it’s important to prioritize your diet, but still, was hoping it could be done for cheaper?

Edit, I’m in the UK and if you buy on offer, 12 chicken breasts (value quality) will set you back roughly £10 or $15.30. So you’d need to spend about $120 per week just on protein if you want to get your protein from whole food sources.

lunk, whey typically is the cheapest protein source dollar/gram, then milk. If you’re looking for solid food eggs and boneless chicken thighs. They really aren’t very high in fat, and can be had for cheap even organic ones don’t cost too much.

[quote]lunk wrote:
What would you guys say is the cheapest source of protein? Eating, like, 15 chicken breasts a day really adds up. I know it’s important to prioritize your diet, but still, was hoping it could be done for cheaper?

Edit, I’m in the UK and if you buy on offer, 12 chicken breasts (value quality) will set you back roughly Ã?£10 or $15.30. So you’d need to spend about $120 per week just on protein if you want to get your protein from whole food sources.[/quote]

you can get 30 eggs from Asda for £3

6 a.m. conditioning then 50grams whey.
11am lunch HUGE salad and 50 grams Casein with fish oil
4pm dinner Huge salad and 50 grams casein with fish oil
7pm post lifting then MEAT with high GI carbs…
Not to hard to get it in…btw, I weigh 181#
just a bit over 1# per 1# bodyweight.

I get roughly 300g a day is my target at 220ish.

10 eggs-80
1 lbs beef or chicken-85
Cup of Greek yogurt- 30
2 servings whey-50
1 medium pizza-75

this is just protein sources not counting the protein from oatmeals, pastas, and vegetables.

[quote]Reed wrote:

Cup of Greek yogurt- 30

[/quote]

Thats some potent yoghurt. The greek yoghurt that I have seen only contains about P: 6, C: 5, F: 10 per 100 grams.

tweet

[quote]theBird wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:

Cup of Greek yogurt- 30

[/quote]

Thats some potent yoghurt. The greek yoghurt that I have seen only contains about P: 6, C: 5, F: 10 per 100 grams.

tweet[/quote]

Not sure what you have available down under, but here in the states the Fage brand of greek yogurt has 130 calories, with 23 g of protein per cup (227 grams). Pretty comparable to a scoop of protein powder. It’s plain and fairly tart so I add a bit of vanilla and Splenda.

BTW, I saw you progress pic in the April check-in thread and whatever you are doing, you look good, Bird.

cheers for cheap protein suggestions. It looks like the cheapest really is buying whey in bulk. Is it bad for your health to get the majority of your protein from whey, assuming you’re eating all your greens, etc…?

[quote]Reed wrote:
I get roughly 300g a day is my target at 220ish.

10 eggs-80
1 lbs beef or chicken-85
Cup of Greek yogurt- 30
2 servings whey-50
1 medium pizza-75

this is just protein sources not counting the protein from oatmeals, pastas, and vegetables.[/quote]

75 from pizza. Better check that. Eggs more like 60. And yea yogurt ain’t getting you 30 grams. At least your lb of beef is correct I guess.

I have a shake for breakfast = 48 grams

brunch is a giant burger (made at home) or chicken = 40 to 50 grams

Isolate after lifting = 50 grams

Usually eggs and sausage for a late dinner = 45 grams

maybe another shake like my breakfast = 48 grams

200 - 250 a day and I’m on the road much of the day.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

Not sure what you have available down under, but here in the states the Fage brand of greek yogurt has 130 calories, with 23 g of protein per cup (227 grams). Pretty comparable to a scoop of protein powder. It’s plain and fairly tart so I add a bit of vanilla and Splenda.

BTW, I saw you progress pic in the April check-in thread and whatever you are doing, you look good, Bird.
[/quote]

Thanks, Ill keep searching the grocery isles. Thanks for the compliments. Your looking might fine yourself like always!

tweet

Bird, you probably have the “Greek God” brand, sorry it’s shit. A cup of nonfat Greek yogurt should have around 25 grams, there are several brands that fit this bill. I usually buy plain, nonfat and can flavor it several ways, both savory and sweet. As a side note, Ben & Jerry’s frozen Greek yogurt has about 24 grams per pint, if your looking for calories, this is a delicious way to sneak a little extra protein in.