Who Drinks a Shake BEFORE Training?

Dave Barr discussed this at the Test Fest in DC last month. Check out Shugart’s summary for details. He said half your Surge 15 minutes prior and the rest 15 minutes after lifting. And, of course, to never be protein fasted. So, for instance, when I lift first thing in the AM I have a protein shake upon waking, Surge on my drive to the gym, and Surge on the drive home.

Check out the summary, it should talk about this…Good Luck!!

AG

The main reason I did not drink a shake before hand was because sometimes it would comeright back up again. If I could keep it down I defidently would. Catabolism is a fear of mine.

[quote]El_Animal wrote:
Interesting feedback guy. I know Berardi advocates 1/2 during and the rest immediately after but I havn’t had a chance to try this yet. I will probably give it a go during summer.[/quote]

I think you have to adopt a protocol that will work for you. Drinking a shake in the middle of my workout is something that I’m just not going to do over a period of time. Not only that when I tried it some of it came back up. I don’t know how hard Berardi trains, (he may train harder but has a stronger stomach), but I tend to have a little reflux if I down even part of a shake during my sessions.

I’ll stick to water during my training sessions.

Having a Metobolic Drive shake before and after are a given with me.

Typical shake 60-90 minutes prior to lifting
16 ounces skim milk
1 scoop chocolate ON Whey
1/2 to 1 cup raw oatmeal

During lifting and immediately after
24 ounces of water
3 scoops Surge

60-90 minutes after lifting
Solid food meal consisting of lean protein, complex carb, veggies, and salad

Christopher