Who Doesn't Chin/Pull ?

Perhaps ‘announcement’ was the wrong word, I wanted to hear some views.

With some reasoning, I think Chins/ Pulls and variations should only be performed after other exercises. Ideally something that has less emphasis on the arms than a chin or row. So pullover machine, cable pullovers etc etc. I reckon this point has been lost over the years.

For many, the supinated grip was seen as an arm exercise, some were bold enough to include it in arm workouts. It would to foolish to think its just an arm builder, but I don’t think chins/pulls hit the back that well unless some kind of ‘pre-exhaustion’ has taken place first.

Pulls/chins are one of the greatest exercises to build functional strength and indicate it for applications in Army selection etc etc.

More’s the point, if the chin/pull was the greatest strength builder for the back, then it would at least translate into greater strength in some rowing movements which I don’t think it does.

[quote]The Beast wrote:
BIGRAGOO wrote:
Kuz wrote:
I just want to know why Stig changes his user name every 3 or 4 days…

Let’s see he was: Le Stig, The Stig, Stiggy, Dr. Stiggy, now Dr. Stig.

Don’t forget Meddyg Stig, the Welsh version.

:)[/quote]

Meddyg means Doctor in Welsh.

Yes I feel this is a trick question as well. Here’s the thing with pull ups and chins. I put alot of effort into these two mouvements to be able to do them with added weight. However I think wide grip pulldowns and slightly wider than shoulder grip pulldowns work better for growth.

I once remember someone talking about functional strenth and all, saying that if you were hanging off a tree branch and there was a crocodile under you, the pull up guy would be able to pull himself up with his functional strength and the pull down guy would die. Well since I fuckin’ hate being the woods never mind a swampy area this argument has little appeal in building bigger muscles. This is from many years of observation and a matter of what’s best for me. I will say though that pull ups and chins will help with some arm growth. Would also be willing to bet that the majority of pull up and chin people believe that there should be no direct arm work. That’s cool, whatever works best for you.

Peace.

I’m getting kind of curious now. I haven’t put much emphasis on pull ups in quite a while, and don’t feel any worse for wear. I replaced them with standing rows and some shrug variations.
I just throw some in now and then to make sure I can still do them. I also like to throw in some back and forth/side to side stuff like the guy in that “thug training” vid that was posted a while back. That was neat.

[quote]Tin Can wrote:
Yes I feel this is a trick question as well. Here’s the thing with pull ups and chins. I put alot of effort into these two mouvements to be able to do them with added weight. However I think wide grip pulldowns and slightly wider than shoulder grip pulldowns work better for growth.

I once remember someone talking about functional strenth and all, saying that if you were hanging off a tree branch and there was a crocodile under you, the pull up guy would be able to pull himself up with his functional strength and the pull down guy would die. Well since I fuckin’ hate being the woods never mind a swampy area this argument has little appeal in building bigger muscles. This is from many years of observation and a matter of what’s best for me. I will say though that pull ups and chins will help with some arm growth. Would also be willing to bet that the majority of pull up and chin people believe that there should be no direct arm work. That’s cool, whatever works best for you.

Peace.[/quote]

Right on the money, how many people did the movement for years and then just do others ? I don’t think one could compare it to doing Squats and then just doing leg press or something. I think I could do about 15 chins or something about 10 years ago, not loads, but now…maybe 5 if I was lucky. It s’funny that as the chin strength declines (but bodyweight goes up), my rowing strength and indeed arm strength is much greater.

I was hoping this post was a teaser for the release of “Don Rasberries battle muscles for clown pussies” workout which had been alluded to in a previous thread…

[quote]Kuz wrote:
Dr. Stig wrote:
Kuz wrote:
I just want to know why Stig changes his user name every 3 or 4 days…

Is it bothering you ?

Oh no, not at all. I can always tell it’s you… I was just curious. I remember you first as Victor Lustig, then just Lustig.[/quote]

I only got the name as I was watching Top Gear car show and the Stig was on it, so it made me think of Victor Lustig the guy who ‘Sold’ the Eiffel tower, then I changed to Stig. The Dr. bit came in when I thought making bold statements in the Nutrition section would cut me some more slack, ha ha.

[quote]Frank Castle wrote:
I was hoping this post was a teaser for the release of “Don Rasberries battle muscles for clown pussies” workout which had been alluded to in a previous thread…[/quote]

That has been superseded by Drake Dillberry’s, ‘Total Muscles for Total Pussies’.

With the ‘Fabulous Eating’ plan, based around Clam and Oyster consumption.

[quote]ill wrote:
Weigh a bit too much to do more then a couple atm so no.[/quote]

You finish a set of chinups with an ATM finish?

A2M guys, how many points is that worth?

[quote]TDog305 wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Who Doesn’t Chin/Pull ?

Fat and/or weak people.

I haven’t done a chin-up or pull-up for almost 2 years now, and back is one of the best parts on my body.

My back training sessions generally go something like this:

Dead/Low Rack Pull/High Rack Pull (Pick One)

Barbell Row (Variety of Grips)/DB Row/T Bar Row (Pick One)

Pull Down (Cable or Hammer)

Kneeling Rope Pulldowns

The first two exercises I go as heavy as I can handle with good/decent form, the last two are more for the pump than anything.

Bottom line, I don’t need pull-ups to grow, so I don’t use them[/quote]

As long as you can still do a good number of them I don’t see a problem with this.

I see the ability to knock out many pullups as one of the marks of a well rounded athlete.

When I first read about “Don Rasberries battle muscles for clown pussies” I shit my self laughing right here at work, wow hard to explain. everytime I think of it or read it since I have to go to the 2nd floor bathroom an dlaugh for about 5 minutes.

I have to get a t shirt made with that on it to trian in. Don’t mind do you stig? I think the funniest thing is that in my mind it’s said with this Clive Owen type accent. It kills me.

-chris

[quote]Dr. Stig wrote:
Frank Castle wrote:
I was hoping this post was a teaser for the release of “Don Rasberries battle muscles for clown pussies” workout which had been alluded to in a previous thread…

That has been superseded by Drake Dillberry’s, ‘Total Muscles for Total Pussies’.

With the ‘Fabulous Eating’ plan, based around Clam and Oyster consumption.[/quote]

[quote]realpeanutbutter wrote:
When I first read about “Don Rasberries battle muscles for clown pussies” I shit my self laughing right here at work, wow hard to explain. everytime I think of it or read it since I have to go to the 2nd floor bathroom an dlaugh for about 5 minutes.

I have to get a t shirt made with that on it to trian in. Don’t mind do you stig? I think the funniest thing is that in my mind it’s said with this Clive Owen type accent. It kills me.

-chris

Dr. Stig wrote:
Frank Castle wrote:

With the ‘Fabulous Eating’ plan, based around Clam and Oyster consumption.

[/quote]

I don’t talk like Clive Owen, he’s English. If you get to watch Dirty Sanchez, I talk like Pritchard or Pancho. I.E. With a Welsh Accent.

Oh I know you don’t talk like clive owen. just the way it’s said i can imagine an unimpressed slightly aggitated tone. Ill have to rent that show and see. I “knew” a girl once who was part welsh and talked a little different. Big bewbies on her. Should get her in a “Don Rasberries battle muscles for clown pussies” t-shirt.

-chris

[quote]realpeanutbutter wrote:
Oh I know you don’t talk like clive owen. just the way it’s said i can imagine an unimpressed slightly aggitated tone. Ill have to rent that show and see. I “knew” a girl once who was part welsh and talked a little different. Big bewbies on her. Should get her in a “Don Rasberries battle muscles for clown pussies” t-shirt.

-chris[/quote]

I just bought a t-shirt that says

‘Woman, I am NOT a Lolliop’ on it.

I can do 8 or so pull ups at the moment, and just knock a few out as a warm-up before workout; they’re not in my training plan right now as I’m concentrating on barbell rows.

Back in my early 20s I went into a chin/pull up frenzy and (thanks to a bar at home) I worked my way up to 25 wide-grip dead-hang pull ups and about 50 chinups. It got boring at that point.

It only took me about 4-5 weeks to go from 5/10 pull/chin ups to the numbers above. Funny thing is, I don’t think my back grew much, if at all, during this time. All I did was become more efficient at the movement.

So, Dr Stig, are you going to stop doing them?

[quote]Dr. Stig wrote:
I just bought a t-shirt that says

‘Woman, I am NOT a Lolliop’ on it.[/quote]

Great Scrubs line :smiley:

[quote]Miserere wrote:
I can do 8 or so pull ups at the moment, and just knock a few out as a warm-up before workout; they’re not in my training plan right now as I’m concentrating on barbell rows.

Back in my early 20s I went into a chin/pull up frenzy and (thanks to a bar at home) I worked my way up to 25 wide-grip dead-hang pull ups and about 50 chinups. It got boring at that point.

It only took me about 4-5 weeks to go from 5/10 pull/chin ups to the numbers above. Funny thing is, I don’t think my back grew much, if at all, during this time. All I did was become more efficient at the movement.

So, Dr Stig, are you going to stop doing them?[/quote]

I don’t do them. I just look like a tool at the gym knocking out my 3 reps these days, even if all the chinning ‘bad boys’ are doing 20 reps. I did have a doorwar Chin bar too in the late 90’s. it was great till I ripped the door frame off.

i don’t think anyone can say that a great back can only be built with chin-ups/pull-ups, but i also don’t think anyone can say that chin-ups and pull-ups aren’t also great tools to be used for building a great back.

i do chin-ups and pull-ups all the time. they are fundamental movements in my training programs.

I never had any soreness in my lats with pulldowns while pull-ups just kills them, to each his own. Deadlifts and pull-ups is all I need to build my back and biceps.

[quote]hueyOT wrote:
i don’t think anyone can say that a great back can only be built with chin-ups/pull-ups, but i don’t think anyone can say that chin-ups and pull-ups aren’t also great tools to be used for building a great back.

i do chin-ups and pull-ups all the time. they are fundamental movements in my training programs.[/quote]

My personal view, is that a BW pull-ups and chins, have very little to do with building a huge or even a large back. I have yet to see one person with what I consider a large back doing BW pulls or chins, unless it is for a warm-up. I really believe that once you can hit the 8-10 rep range with BW, that is when you start strapping on extra weight, and that is when the growing takes place.

I am not convinced that doing sets of 20 pull ups are a mass builder.