Who Bounces Out of the Bottom?

I was just curious to see how many people bounce out of the hole on full squats. On low rep sets, say a set of 3 I don’t bounce- I make sure to pause in the bottom position. However, on sets of ten or more I don’t pause. I just reverse quickly, not really bouncing. Anyways, what do you guys think?

Quickly reversing isn’t a problem, but you have to use your muscles, not the bounce from your tendons, to avoid injury.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
Quickly reversing isn’t a problem, but you have to use your muscles, not the bounce from your tendons, to avoid injury.[/quote]

Yes. I injured my knee squatting about a month back, and pretty sure that bouncing from the bottom was part of the reason.

I used to bounce a little and ended up with a badly torn meniscus and I’m still not able to squat after almost a year. Post surgury residual tear is suspected.

[quote]PHGN wrote:
I used to bounce a little and ended up with a badly torn meniscus and I’m still not able to squat after almost a year. Residual tear is suspected.[/quote]

Oh snap, I think you just partially diagnosed my sore knee without intent. I have symptoms of that (just read up on it) though it feels a lot better than it did a month back so I’m not too worried and keeping off the squats for now, unfortunately.

[quote]rsg wrote:
PHGN wrote:
I used to bounce a little and ended up with a badly torn meniscus and I’m still not able to squat after almost a year. Residual tear is suspected.

Oh snap, I think you just partially diagnosed my sore knee without intent. I have symptoms of that (just read up on it) though it feels a lot better than it did a month back so I’m not too worried and keeping off the squats for now, unfortunately.[/quote]

If you think you have a meniscal tear, don’t wait and get it checked (read MRI). My knee before surgury was getting better with time off from anything stressful, but once I tried some things like free bodyweight squats…It all started to hurt and swell again. You should keep squats off until you know what your knee is suffering, especially if you suspect a meniscal tear.

[quote]PHGN wrote:
rsg wrote:
PHGN wrote:
I used to bounce a little and ended up with a badly torn meniscus and I’m still not able to squat after almost a year. Residual tear is suspected.

Oh snap, I think you just partially diagnosed my sore knee without intent. I have symptoms of that (just read up on it) though it feels a lot better than it did a month back so I’m not too worried and keeping off the squats for now, unfortunately.

If you think you have a meniscal tear, don’t wait and get it checked (read MRI). My knee before surgury was getting better with time off from anything stressful, but once I tried some things like free bodyweight squats…It all started to hurt and swell again. You should keep squats off until you know what your knee is suffering, especially if you suspect a meniscal tear.[/quote]

See, now you got me worried. I have, however been avoiding leg work until its better, but I suppose I’ll get it checked out. Fuck; thanks.

\End hijack.

a proper full squat, your glutes and hamstrings break the movement at the bottom. If your not doing it properly, then the knees will break it and hence bouncing out of the bottom will hurt your knees.

Who “bounces” out of the bottom??

The majority of the worlds weightlifters and IPF powerlifters.

There’s a difference between a controlled desecent with a dip and just plain free falling.

Both romanaz and hanley are right. But it just takes one moment where your form degrade before you expected, just one moment of inattention and you end up injured. Shit happens. Don’t get me wrong I can’t wait to squat as soon as I safely can.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Who “bounces” out of the bottom??

The majority of the worlds weightlifters and IPF powerlifters.

[/quote]

That reminds me of Shane Hammonds’ dive bomb squats. Talk about bouncing.