T Nation

Who Are....

I keep hearing about “the bloggers” during political discussions on the news. “The bloggers say this…” about a particular politician. What does this mean?

[quote]PGJ wrote:
I keep hearing about “the bloggers” during political discussions on the news. “The bloggers say this…” about a particular politician. What does this mean?[/quote]

There’s a few blogs on either side that are highly read, but I think this is probably just a way to justify airing rumors, hearsay, or opinion.

If X isn’t fit as news, “the bloggers say X” makes it ok to print.

[quote]PGJ wrote:
I keep hearing about “the bloggers” during political discussions on the news. “The bloggers say this…” about a particular politician. What does this mean?[/quote]

A blog is a Web log; a record of things said, done, etc. on the Internet generated by a user:

A good example of one that’s somewhat apolitical:

http://clicked.msnbc.msn.com/

Keith Olbermann keeps a blog at MSNBC to provide himself with a broader audience than his show and with a somewhat unfettered opportunity to vent his opinion/bile. This isn’t uncommon.

People often offer their opinions on blogs, including commenting on the opinions of the owner. So if Bush says something, Olbermann blogs about what rubbish it is; in this example, that makes Olbermann a blogger to which your quote refers.

Some blogs are simply aggregations of blogged opinion – like exit polls, a measure of opinion based upon a small, vocal sample.

[quote]PGJ wrote:

Be very skeptical about any TV news show/radio/print that “generalizes” a source. There are so many blogs out there that you can find blogs to suit your agenda. If a news show is quoting a blog, make sure that they name the specfic blog so that you can check and read for yourself. Else it is probably not newsworthy.

Many bloggers are now being recruited and paid for by politicians themselves. So a person interested in politics must be very carefull with regards to blogs.

[quote]tiggo25 wrote:
PGJ wrote:
I keep hearing about “the bloggers” during political discussions on the news. “The bloggers say this…” about a particular politician. What does this mean?

Be very skeptical about any TV news show/radio/print that “generalizes” a source. There are so many blogs out there that you can find blogs to suit your agenda. If a news show is quoting a blog, make sure that they name the specfic blog so that you can check and read for yourself. Else it is probably not newsworthy.

Many bloggers are now being recruited and paid for by politicians themselves. So a person interested in politics must be very carefull with regards to blogs.[/quote]

Totally agree. Blogs are fast becoming just as effective a conduit for manipulating public opinion as any other part of the press.