T Nation

Who are the True Men?

On Friday I’ve got an appointment to get an ingrown toenail taken care of. I’d like to say “no thanks” to the novacaine injection. Those things hurt so damn much I can’t imagine the procedure to be any worse, but I’m kind of concerned I might be getting in over my head. I don’t want to be crying like a baby or swearing like a sailor. I’m not sure which is more likely.

I’ve always chickened out in the past, except for the time I got a dislocated pinky set. That was a breeze. By the time I got into the emergency clinic it was already numb from the trauma.

Speaking of that, I wish I had just been man enough to set it myself right when it happened. It probably would be less trauma to do it right away before any swelling set in. Same with when I broke my nose.

Ok, bottom line, I want to hear from the manly men on here who have set their own broken bones, stitched their own wounds or looked at a nurse like she was crazy when she went to shoot you up with pain killer. Maybe someone’s gone Tom Hanks with an infected tooth?

Come on guys, get me pumped up for this!

take the novocaine

trust me

p.s. your avatar is awesome. UNICRON Forever!!!

I had a bad ingrown toenail once upon a time, my dads a doctor and he fixed it for me. Before he fixed it he gave me a tongue depressor and told me to bite down on it…I’m glad he did.

I don’t think there is anything manly about dealing with pain if there is an easy way to avoid it.

[quote]on edge wrote:
On Friday I’ve got an appointment to get an ingrown toenail taken care of. I’d like to say “no thanks” to the novacaine injection. Those things hurt so damn much I can’t imagine the procedure to be any worse, but I’m kind of concerned I might be getting in over my head. I don’t want to be crying like a baby or swearing like a sailor. I’m not sure which is more likely.

I’ve always chickened out in the past, except for the time I got a dislocated pinky set. That was a breeze. By the time I got into the emergency clinic it was already numb from the trauma.

Speaking of that, I wish I had just been man enough to set it myself right when it happened. It probably would be less trauma to do it right away before any swelling set in. Same with when I broke my nose.

Ok, bottom line, I want to hear from the manly men on here who have set their own broken bones, stitched their own wounds or looked at a nurse like she was crazy when she went to shoot you up with pain killer. Maybe someone’s gone Tom Hanks with an infected tooth?

Come on guys, get me pumped up for this![/quote]

I got pisses of once and endedd up destroying the shower and punched a window 3 times. I’m not proud of it and it’s a long story.

anyway I went to the polyclinic and laughed at the doctor while he was removing the glass from my hand. The bone was visible and was asking him questions like 'are those the nerves? Are these the veins? Is that muscle tissue? etc.

I have a scar that wil probably remain till I die, and it reminds me to keep calm whenever I face an asshole.

[quote]Captain Zero wrote:
take the novocaine

trust me

p.s. your avatar is awesome. UNICRON Forever!!![/quote]

x2

I like laughing gas.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:

I don’t think there is anything manly about dealing with pain if there is an easy way to avoid it.[/quote]

I agree.

Please…I’ve had to clean up some messes from grown men (mostly ex-military) who tried to pull teeth with pliers at home and fucked it up.

Here’s a tip, there are professionals who do things like this for a reason. Unless you have at least some medical training, most people shouldn’t be digging around in themselves or trying to reset bones unless it is a war time situation and your life is on the line.

You are this scared of a lidocaine shot? I don’t believe anyone has used “novocaine” in decades and I shoot people with lido all day everyday and no one loses consciousness or starts crying just because of it unless they are little kids.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
I had a bad ingrown toenail once upon a time, my dads a doctor and he fixed it for me. Before he fixed it he gave me a tongue depressor and told me to bite down on it…I’m glad he did.

I don’t think there is anything manly about dealing with pain if there is an easy way to avoid it.[/quote]

Agreed. Dealing with it is why so many patients wait until it is so complex to fix that it will actually hurt more than if they had gone to get it taken care of at first sign of a problem.

I’ve reset my own dislocated thumb, removed my own toenail, and dressed a lot of my own wounds.

I was a Navy Corpsman and had training, but looking back… all of those things I did to myself were fucking stupid. On top of those listed I also walked around with a cracked humeral epicondyle for two weeks thinking it was a strain. Only after being floored by turning a doorknob did I seek medical attention outside of self medicating.

The thumb was all about timing, did it as soon as I could before too much pain and edema surrounded the joint.

Toenail was a tall glass of bourbon AND I numbed it as well with lido/epi. Probably too much though, had what I figured was poor distal perfusion for a few days after, and nowadays when I get cold that toe gets cold before everything else. I more than likely screwed up my circulation in that toe.

Pain isn’t necessarily showing weakness, it’s your body’s way of protecting itself from further injury. Pain doesn’t = Pussy.

So OP, dude, take the numbing stuff and deal with it.

If it hurts, it’s supposed to, if it doesn’t, you’re lucky, if you cry…

Well damn if you cry you’re a pussy.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Please…I’ve had to clean up some messes from grown men (mostly ex-military) who tried to pull teeth with pliers at home and fucked it up.

Here’s a tip, there are professionals who do things like this for a reason. Unless you have at least some medical training, most people shouldn’t be digging around in themselves or trying to reset bones unless it is a war time situation and your life is on the line.

You are this scared of a lidocaine shot? I don’t believe anyone has used “novocaine” in decades and I shoot people with lido all day everyday and no one loses consciousness or starts crying just because of it unless they are little kids.[/quote]

Getting that shot in the mouth is a walk in the park. In your hands or feet it hurts like a mother. I have a hard time believing getting the edge of my toenail burned off (or whatever they do) will hurt more. I think it will hurt just a little bit longer.

I think there is a big difference between taking a hit ect and dealing with wounds and other injuries which require stitches or X rays. You can call yourself a man if you want but you also earn the “special” title of retard

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
I’ve reset my own dislocated thumb, removed my own toenail, and dressed a lot of my own wounds.

I was a Navy Corpsman and had training, but looking back… all of those things I did to myself were fucking stupid. On top of those listed I also walked around with a cracked humeral epicondyle for two weeks thinking it was a strain. Only after being floored by turning a doorknob did I seek medical attention outside of self medicating.

The thumb was all about timing, did it as soon as I could before too much pain and edema surrounded the joint.

Toenail was a tall glass of bourbon AND I numbed it as well with lido/epi. Probably too much though, had what I figured was poor distal perfusion for a few days after, and nowadays when I get cold that toe gets cold before everything else. I more than likely screwed up my circulation in that toe.

Pain isn’t necessarily showing weakness, it’s your body’s way of protecting itself from further injury. Pain doesn’t = Pussy.

So OP, dude, take the numbing stuff and deal with it.

If it hurts, it’s supposed to, if it doesn’t, you’re lucky, if you cry…

Well damn if you cry you’re a pussy.
[/quote]

Now this is he kind of shit I’m talking about.

[quote]Captain Zero wrote:
take the novocaine

trust me

p.s. your avatar is awesome. UNICRON Forever!!![/quote]

Ahh, Unicron. I know the name upon hearing it but had no idea that was HIS name. Images like this appear on my camera after my 7 year old has been playing with it for a while.

One time my brother slammed a door on me and it ripped my big toe nail so it was sticking straight up.

Needless to say, I bit down on my belt and tore that son of a bitch right off my foot over the bathtub. There was so much blood it looked like a murder scene.

That’s the most manly thing I’ve ever done.

In regards to the toenail. My doctor said something along the lines of because it was so infected, the anesthesia wasn’t going to be overly effective (I’m paraphrasing, this may be completely wrong). He shot my toe up anyway which wasn’t that bad, however the actual procedure made me strain every muscle in my body as hard as I could because the pain was so awesome.

Just take the shot, you’ll appreciate any numbing effect you can get.

I’ve been stitched without anesthetic, “set” (forced it into a neutral position- doctor told me that’s what “pain and suffering” is)my ankle after being broken, cleaned out a very infected fingers with a pair of fingernail clippers, the list goes on

I’ve done some dumb stuff

[quote]Petermus wrote:
I think there is a big difference between taking a hit ect and dealing with wounds and other injuries which require stitches or X rays. You can call yourself a man if you want but you also earn the “special” title of retard[/quote]

Believe me, I’m making no pretense at being tough. I know I’m not. After seeing my wife have a baby I know she is way tougher than I am.

I just figure the shot will hurt like a bitch or the procedure will hurt like a bitch. So, why not just get the procedure? If I was “tough” I’d just do it and not be seeking encouragement.

About 8 years ago during a FTX in Hohenfels Germany, I went to the Battalion PA with a bad case of hemorrhoids; swollen and painful like a sumbitch.

I went into his tent thinking he was going to give me some pain medication (800mg motrin), a few suppositories and call it good. I dropped trou and spread 'em. Nope. They were dark red/black in color and he had to lance them. So, with several taped-together tongue depressors clenched in my teeth, and whilst lying on my stomach with both hands spreading my ass cheeks- he proceeded to pinch with a forceps and then cut my swollen asshole with a scalpel.

I have never known such pain.

A pilonidal cyst came close, but the above took the cake. So, whenever and whatever pain medication is prescribed I take it.

When I was fifteen, I had a mishap that resulted in a Ka-Bar fighting knife getting jammed into the vastus medialis of my left leg. I didn’t even realize it until I saw my pant leg stained brownish-red, and felt my boot filling up with blood.

I promptly lay on my back, elevated my foot, and applied pressure as my friend dialed 911. The paramedics arrived, reassured me that had I punctured an artery, the blood would have been much brighter and would have spurted rather than gushed, and put a dressing on the wound, then offered to take me to the hospital.

It was only a few blocks to the hospital from where I lived, so my friend drove me (he was sixteen and had already gotten his driver’s license).

I only required three stitches, and I requested no anaesthetic, on the grounds that if I ever had to do it myself, I wanted to know what it felt like. The doctor looked at me a bit askance, but sewed me up without the novocaine all the same.

As it turned out, it was not for nothing.

When I was in college, a girlfriend and I were camping up in the Angeles National Forest, and I was building a fire circle. I was splitting a large rock, which shattered into razor-sharp shards, one of which imbedded itself into my shin. I pulled it out, and the blood flowed down my shin like from a punctured wineskin.

Luckily, I had brought along a needle, heavy duty black thread, and a bottle of Captain Morgan rum. I disinfected the cut with some rum, sterilized the needle and the thread with soap and hot water, drank a few gulps of the rum to settle my nerves, then bent the needle a bit, threaded it, and sutured myself. It hurt a little, but not too badly.

I went in to see a doctor a week later for a physical, and showed him my handiwork. He seemed a bit alarmed that I had performed surgery without a license, and told me to come back when the cut had healed, to get the stitches taken out. I ignored him, and took them out myself with a sterilized razor blade. Today you can barely see the scar.