T Nation

White Trash, Racism?

[quote]worzel wrote:
Just to get your opinion on a comment I heard here at work.

I was asked to turn down ‘the white trash music’ that was playing here in the gym by an American visitor. There was house music playing, which a lot of the members love and it beggars belief that someone had the audacity to say such a thing.

I have heard this comment freely thrown around daytime American TV for a long time but what puzzles me is that some racist remarks like this one are allowed and some are not. For instance, if we had hip hop playing, which we do on occasion and someone said turn that black shit off there would be uproar and rightly so!

Now we don’t use the term white trash but I know exactly what it means and who it refers to. Can you imagine using a similar term like black trash to describe a group of people, it wouldn’t be acceptable!

Can someone offer an explanation on this obvious double standard and do you agree that it’s unacceptable!

[/quote]
CAN I HAVE A TOWEL PLEASE

[quote]worzel wrote:
Just to get your opinion on a comment I heard here at work.

I was asked to turn down ‘the white trash music’ that was playing here in the gym by an American visitor. There was house music playing, which a lot of the members love and it beggars belief that someone had the audacity to say such a thing.

I have heard this comment freely thrown around daytime American TV for a long time but what puzzles me is that some racist remarks like this one are allowed and some are not. For instance, if we had hip hop playing, which we do on occasion and someone said turn that black shit off there would be uproar and rightly so!

Now we don’t use the term white trash but I know exactly what it means and who it refers to. Can you imagine using a similar term like black trash to describe a group of people, it wouldn’t be acceptable!

Can someone offer an explanation on this obvious double standard and do you agree that it’s unacceptable!

[/quote]

LARRY WANTS HIS MONEY

[quote]buzzinfly80 wrote:
pat36 wrote:
Technically, yes. It’s just the same as the other colourful adjectives to describe or refer to any other race. But nobody gets offended when it’s white people that is the target. There is just nothing emotionally attached.

We did get offended thats why both myself and worzel who were both sitting here at the time this happened actually felt the need to write this thread. I understand that in countries such as america where blacks were subjected to slavery, that there is bound to be a huge level of emotional attachment to comments of a racist nature when racist terms are made against black people.

The point that we are making is in our country nobody was every subjected to slavery and all people are equal so we dont have that emotional attachment that exists over there, although we do understand it. if anything irish people can relate to it as we were under rule and oppressed until the last hundred years ourselves. Racism should not only be for the minorities as that in itself is actually racist. [/quote]

Was this jackass white, black or other ethnicity?

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:

Was this jackass white, black or other ethnicity?[/quote]

It’s about time that somebody got around to asking this question.

I have a question that sort of goes with this thread. How many of you have these white wannabe kids that try to act like gangsta’s and have their MTV attitude and talk .I now live near a town that’s mostly white ,and you have a bunch of these little punk ass teen’s running around trying to intimidate people in public with their MTV punk Bullshit.

When they get near me with their attitude it makes me feel like doing the job their mommies and daddies are’nt doing and beatin their little punk asses.

I’ve told afew of them when they try their ill mannered intimidation routine ,that they ought to take their act to south central L.A. and when they get their asses handed to em if they make it out alive, then they’ll wished they’ed never tried to play their little bitch games. It just show’s how F’d up most kids are now days that they dont even know what or who they are.

[quote]ron33 wrote:
It just show’s how F’d up most kids are now days that they dont even know what or who they are.[/quote]

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

-Socrates

[quote]worzel wrote:

But as you said race is included and that is the main point I am referring to!

I totally agree but the use of skin colour makes ‘white trash’ all the more offensive.
[/quote]

I see your point. However, the use of skin color is a non-sequitur with regards to something being racist. First, there are several slurs that are do not make mention of skin color that are perhaps more offensive than a color-based slur.

Consider words such as coon, spic, chink, cracker, etc and you see my point that mentioning skin color is not a pre-requisite for something being racist. Second, again “white trash” is a term in itself synonymous to hick, redneck and hillbilly.

These are class denotations first and foremost but they all essentially only apply to one “race”. Third, “white trash” is not racist as per the dictionary definition as it the term of is not all-encompassing of the white race. Slurs such as nigger, spic, etc are all-encompassing however.

With that said I don’t doubt that white trash can be used in a racist way but I wouldn’t consider it inherently racist.

Again, I see your point but I would say that calling someone “white trash” generally differs from calling someone a “white motherfucker”.

Now I do not know whether the person in question “was down with hip hop” or whether she just being inconsiderate. The fact that she said “Are you pushing it out, YOU nigger?” (emphasis added) makes me believe that she was simply being inconsiderate.

By calling someone a nigger your essentially calling them sub-human. A lot of people try to destigmatize it in light of the current trends in urban culture, yet the etymology of the word remains.

I reckon that since you’re from Ireland “white trash” is not a pervasive term over there and I see why you consider it racist. I believe, in the US, it’s white people who use it more heavily than anyone else and then as a pejorative regarding class. Again, pointing out skin color doesn’t necessarily make a word wrong but it does allow such a word to be used more easily to propagate racism.

[quote]pat36 wrote:
You have no idea how hard it is being a honkey. Of course, I am spic so I wouldn’t know.[/quote]

Ok… so there are spics, honkeys, crackers, and spooks?

Missing any?

And what’s the diff?

[quote]unbending wrote:
pat36 wrote:
You have no idea how hard it is being a honkey. Of course, I am spic so I wouldn’t know.

Missing any?

And what’s the diff?[/quote]

Adding chinks, gooks, slants, niggers, wetbacks, kikes, mudlips, whitebread…there are soo many

:slight_smile:

[quote]Hanzo wrote:

Again, pointing out skin color doesn’t necessarily make a word wrong but it does allow such a word to be used more easily to propagate racism. [/quote]

Exactly! Anyway I think it’s basically a geographical issue whereby groups of different people, that supposedly speak the same language, use words that can represent different things! I was offended by the comment and maybe an American wouldn’t be, I dunno?

But sure what the hey, we will always have differences’ be they good or bad, so I suppose we will have to leave it at that…

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:

oh and by the way what kind of music do you listen to since your so quick to remark on what we listen to.

The usual, Danny Boy, Wild Rover, stuff like that.[/quote]

You missed one’ Achy Breaky Heart! Now shake that mullet YEEHAW!!!

[quote]Xylene wrote:
unbending wrote:
pat36 wrote:
You have no idea how hard it is being a honkey. Of course, I am spic so I wouldn’t know.

Missing any?

And what’s the diff?

Adding chinks, gooks, slants, niggers, wetbacks, kikes, mudlips, whitebread…there are soo many

:slight_smile:
[/quote]

There ain’t no difference. It’s the people who continually notice and act on the “difference” that actually perpetuate the existence of racism. If you are going to be color blind then be color blind.

If not, just admit what you are. At least be honest. Nobody deserves to be propped up or put down because of the way they were born. Technically, anybody who think differently then that is a racist.

See Al Sharpton, the only difference between people like himself and the KKK, is the color they think is superior.

[quote]buzzinfly80 wrote:
The point that we are making is in our country nobody was every subjected to slavery [/quote]

St. Patrick and thousands of others gathered in raids? People from opposing tribes? Irish caught by the Moors? Women in the last millenium?

Sorry, Irish history is rife with slavery.

[quote]ChuckyT wrote:
buzzinfly80 wrote:
The point that we are making is in our country nobody was every subjected to slavery

St. Patrick and thousands of others gathered in raids? People from opposing tribes? Irish caught by the Moors? Women in the last millenium?

Sorry, Irish history is rife with slavery. [/quote]

Slavery has existed everywhere on earth.

Hey…

Even the “Political Forum” needs a pic of a hot little piece of “WT”, doncha’ think?

Mufasa

I know I may sound stupid, but can somebody define what a “race” of people is so I may more clearly understand what “racism” is.

I understand what white trash means, and if you are going to say that isn’t a racial term per say. Then nigger or spic are not racial terms, but derogatory terms, as they do not define a whole race of people, but a select group in a race of people.

That being said they are not always derogatory terms. While playing in a collegiate basketball league in Florida for a summer, the other players on the team that had darker skin than I but were not all of one race made me nigga for the summer because I have a descent vertical leap. So to me that would show the term is not always considered derogatory.

But enough of the PC bullshit. If the guy made a comment that offended you politely tell him to get WD40 out, find an empty barbell and go to town.

Oh and to the list of slurs, notice i didn’t racist titles or some dumbass shit like that.

Jungle bunny, deigo, porch monkey, rosta, wop, mic, potatoe picker, ruskie, commie, jap, american.

[quote]pat36 wrote:
vroom wrote:
I like it when white people whine about racism.

Fucking wankers.

You have no idea how hard it is being a honkey. Of course, I am spic so I wouldn’t know.[/quote]

Hahahaha! Now that was funny.