White Privilege

It would take hours to fully describe the what and why of my rejection of the entire concept of white privilege.

You’ll just have to settle with “its a bunch of condescending bullshit, riddled with holes and assumptions and a complete disregard for individual challenges, experiences, and perception.”.

2 Likes

Oh I think we all know why.

WEB Dubois wrote about the concept of white privilege in the 30s, I believe, and the actual term was coined in the 60s. That’s well before The Cosby Show. Good Times was the better show however because it depicted not only a more typical black family but a family that even whites could relate to.

I’m not the one who said the majority should expect privileges simply because it is the majority. That was not a denial of privilege but a justification for it.

I fully accept a privilege exists. I don’t accept that there’s anything I should do on a micro level about it. Nor have I heard any intelligent thing to do as a result.

This is true. But that it wsn’t an expectation doesn’t negate its existence.

This is true too. They do get defensive.

Sort of like the one on this thread?

Here’s an intelligent thing to do–continue to acknowledge its existence in discussions such as this one.

Man, I didn’t think the victim olympics was until 2020. I didn’t set my dvr!

2 Likes

Don’t be a BBQ Becky.

I have no idea what that means, but it was obviously written by a white person. #bbqprivilege

1 Like

It’s the new trend were we scour the entire nation for reports of white folks (especially white women) calling the police on black folks.Maybe the white person actually called because they were black. Then again, maybe they din’t. Next, you give them a cutesy white name and a hashtag.

Mmm, the appearance of racial conflict. Insatiable! Find me more!

I do wonder, for the sake of the story, did they check to see how many instances of needless white on white calls there were this year?

1 Like

Then there’s the gender betraying white women, who black women just can’t ever count on. Traitors, exchanging their femininity for their white privilege, all because they feel differently about a SCOTUS nominee. Those darn white women. Of course, in that case, we were supposed to take the word of a white woman without any evidience (#believeher). So confusing.

Which is the correct response to being incorrectly accused of something.

Agreed. But the more the Dems refuse to speak out against the types that don’t fit your description, the more people like me will invalidate the whole view.

Hmm…So you’re saying there’s a pervasive problem in this country with white people being accused of “expecting” white privilege? As a white person myself, I have to say I have yet to get my j’accuse. Have you gotten yours yet?

I’m confused. Why would you invalidate something you believe to be true, as opposed to simply pointing out the invalid extensions as you see them?

On quite a few number of occasions actually. It’s much much more popular of a talking point with my generation than it is yours.

As an anecdote, my wife has a friend and her husband we hang out with on occasion. It is their opinion, that they voiced at dinner the 2nd time I ever met them, that they believe voting for a republican and supporting race equality are mutually exclusive.

Because I believe in what YOU are saying white privilege is. You are neither the only voice or the loudest. and in my personal experience (obviously biased), you are the minority opinion.

I personally disagree with the majority consensus I hear about white privilege, I just happen to agree with your consensus

It’s not a circle jerk if dissenting opinions are tolerated. I choose not to engage with my outspoken liberal friends on politics because its a lose-lose situation for me. So when a bunch of them post something ridiculous on social media and like each other’s posts and comment about how virtuous they are because of their ability to echo liberal opinions, well, that’s a circle jerk.

1 Like

It has. It’s been terrible, and one of the reasons is that it has made people in the majority hyper-aware of their “identity” and therefore just as protective of it as minorities. That’s a recipe for social disaster. Racial (and other) progress has always been about finding common ground, not continued Balkanization.

Intersectionality, etc. is not serious policy anyway - it’s a hobby horse of educated and affluent white Americans. These views - which track under the larger umbrella of “political correctness” - are rejected by the vast majority of Americans; meaning, while we hear a lot about it, the amount of noise it generates Is not proportional to its buy-in.

And on top of it all, the “intersectionalists” are raging hypocrites - how many of them have given up their tony neighborhoods in favor of settling in with other people who are of different races, beliefs, socioeconomic backgrounds, etc.? Don’t hold your breath.

4 Likes

I’m white? If you saw my grandfather and his family I doubt you’d say that.

So white women have been the problem all along, not white men.

I bet I would.

And (er, quoting myself), I think why this is so is inherently part of identity politics and intersectionalism. If you’re obsessed about your own identity, it stands to reason you’re not going to be very curious about others. You’re not going to spend much time exploring other cultures, attitudes, ideas, etc. And this is exacerbated because under identity politics, there are certain standards for each identity that you can’t deviate from, lest you commit a kind of treason against your identity (think about female conservatives “betraying” their gender).

For centuries, we’ve adhered to a civic faith that we need to move towards unity and equality. However, the identitarians - both the navel-gazing liberal types and the racist right-wing “race and IQ” troglodytes - have pulled use backwards in that effort.

Identity politics reinforces blind, stupid tribalism - and the rest of us are ready to trash it, move on, and pick up the dropped flag of liberalism (true meaning of that word) on our march forward.