White Privilege

Jews can’t be white?

You’re white, stop fooling yourself.

Does it make it any better that its mostly affluent white trust fund babies that intellectualize the subject as a humble bragging virtue signal?

You know who I hear about white privilege from? Upper middle class white people.

Never once from an African american.

2 Likes

An African American invented the concept. I personally don’t like it because of its inherent divisiveness but I don’t agree that a majority should enjoy privileges over a minority simply because they are a majority.

It is your barn, as it is my barn, as it is every citizens barn. What are your thoughts on the article eye dentist posted?
Explaining White Privilege To A Broke White Person | HuffPost Impact

1 Like

No it isn’t.

I’ve read that article before. I don’t care what it says. I reject the entire concept of it.

Keep your barn to yourself. Maybe throw a big “celebrate diversity” party in it. Have a few craft brews and some artisinal wines in it.

I’ll be here at home making sure my near and dear are taken care of too.

1 Like

See if we all had just saddled up and rode with Adolf we wouldn’t be having this dumb ass conversation right now. Also, I wouldn’t exist but never mind that fact.

Also BrickHead is white with an asterisk. White but Jew white. Its the other white meat. The kind that no one fucking likes and has been shit on for millennia.

You know the kind of white where the blacks hate you cause your you know white but the other whites hate you cause you know your a fucking Jew. Its a great spot to be in. I for one felt sooooooo privileged being the whitest North African Jew on the block. But I am going to make sure to will my property to less privileged black folks when I die. For equality/equity/ whatever the fuck reason.

Dude, you are inches from being disinvited from the big barn party!

I’m smart. It’s probably because I’m Oriental, the yellow privilege.

And there’s no way I’m 'a ever gonna give up my privilege to coddle stupid folk, know what I’m ‘a sayin’?

If your stupid, that be you’re problem, deal with it.

1 Like

Let me be the first white person in a long line of other white people to be offended on behalf of Asian people for your use of the term “Oriental”. It’s super-offensive to virtuous white liberals, and probably some zips or gooks somewhere too.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got some important Polack research to conduct so my family in the motherland can equip their submarines with more effective screen doors.

6 Likes

What specifically do you reject? I am curious as to which points from the article you object to and why. I like fully understanding “the other side”.

I’m not SkyzykS, but I can tell you what this lily-white 2nd generation Polish-American rejects about it…

The good parts of “white privilege” can be summed up as follows: Be thankful for what you have and put some thought into why that’s an advantage for you. Others have it worse. Everyone you meet is fighting some kind of a battle, so be a thoughtful and considerate person.

Of course, this is not a racially-charged statement, so that’s obviously a big problem for progressives. What good is understanding and compassion if it isn’t rooted in white guilt and giving deference and special treatment to people based on how they look and nothing else?

This quote sums up your article pretty damn well.

“But luckily my college education introduced me to a more nuanced concept of privilege: intersectionality.”

I’m sure it did. That seems to be pretty common nowadays.

So @Californiagrown can you explain to me how the concept of white privilege has produced improved outcomes of any kind for anyone, anywhere? Please try to be specific.

I grew up in 1980’s rural Indiana, in KKK heartland (which just meant that a few dozen fatasses got to have a pajama parade downtown every year and they had a bar in a one-stoplight town called Kreuger’s Korner Klub), where every kid I knew worshiped Larry Bird AND Michael Jordan AND Magic Johnson and Eddie Murphy was the consensus funniest motherfucker on the planet and we were all trying to get bootleg copies of RAW to watch against our parent’s wishes. All in the complete absence of any black people anywhere near us.

Maybe I’ve got rose colored glasses on, but it sure as hell seems like the politics of intersectionality have done more to divide our society along racial lines than any thing since the last time Democrats worked really hard to divide our society along racial lines in the 1960’s and earlier.

So let’s hear it. Why is this concept a good thing? How has it helped anyone, anywhere?

1 Like

Similar to the 60s, the first step toward social change and equality of opportunity is to make it commonly accepted that there is a wrong being done against a class. The concept of white privilege leads to conversations like the one we are having. Because these conversations are being had, we all become more aware of our prejudices and our actions based on the prejudices. The more we as a society areware of a problem and the more outcry about a problem, the liklier it is that problem gets resolved.

How do you suggest we as a society fix the issue of racial/white privilege and inequality?

Specific examples of positive outcomes- changes to ACT and SAT tests so they do not favor white kids and cultures. More positive black main characters on network TV.

1 Like

Sorry, having discussions over the internet don’t actually help anyone, anywhere. I suppose you could make the case that white liberals get to feel good about themselves when they virtue signal the correct opinions and/or show an acceptable amount of self-loathing to gain favor with other similarly-minded people. I know a handful of people who fit that description, and the best way I can describe their discourse and conduct on this subject is a total fucking circle jerk that does nothing to actually improve outcomes for the disadvantaged minorities they claim to champion.

Do you have any specific examples of improved outcomes, or not? How has it helped anyone’s lives, anywhere?

Oh it’s racial/white privilege now? East-Asians and Indians are doing too well, let’s lump them in with the whiteys now too. Nigerians do really well here too, how long until they are lumped in with white? I don’t think “white privilege” as it’s been articulated by people I’ve read, is a problem at all. People being an asshole is always going to be a problem, and that’s something that isn’t really fix-able by the government unless you want some seriously draconian policies.

Inequality can be lessened by giving people the tools they need to succeed and cultivating a culture of personal improvement and personal responsibility, but inequality will always exist in a free society that rewards good decisions and fails to reward bad decisions.

Okay that’s really vague and not really clear how it is an improvement for anyone’s lives, but I suppose I’ll take your word that this is a good thing. But again… How has the politics of white privilege actually helped anyone, anywhere? Can you name any individuals who’ve benefited from the politics of white privilege and explain how those improved outcomes are connected to the ideas put forth in articles like the one you’ve linked?

1 Like

Coming in strong with example #2 I see. Care to elaborate? Dr. Huxtable was a phenomenally positive black main character, long before anyone was talking about white privilege and long before anyone knew that the guy who played him was a rapist. My generation loved The Fresh Prince, YO! MTV Raps and again, Eddie Murphy was wildly popular.

What’s so much better about TV today?

And maybe I’m being naive and I was really being raised in a completely racist culture steeped in loathing of minorities as liberals say I was, but we didn’t like all of the awesome stuff that we liked because the people were black or not black. My sister-in-law just posted on social media how it is supposedly my obligation to support more black people for political office for no reason besides their skin color. That’s silly, stupid and racist.

Me and my lilly-white rural Indiana friends in the 80’s liked Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Eddie Murphy, 2 Live Crew, NWA, and later Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg and his cousin Nate Dogg, Bone Thugs 'n Harmony, Ice Cube and all kinds of killer 90’s rap right along with Pearl Jam, Nirvana and Beck. Oh, and Michael Jackson was THE SHIT. Thriller was the first album I ever owned and my first and last purchase on vinyl. We also liked Star Wars, Indiana Jones, GI Joe and Arnold Schwarzenegger. Not because of their skin color, but because they were fucking awesome, the whole lot of them.

What, exactly, do consider the progress markers to be that have lifted our society up from those dark days?

4 Likes

Then the left that feels as you do should demonize these people that push a version of white privilege you don’t agree with.

Because I see Dem leadership either silent, or agreeing. I’m not sure what you see.

If that’s a literal question, the answer is ‘pecking order’ same as any other human construct.

If you’re asking realistically, the majority don’t expect to have privileges. Which is why they get defensive when accused of such. It’s an ignorant viewpoint.

@twojarslave

I’m simple minded (but smart!), these are my simple thoughts…

Everybody wants to be special. All this current BS is just a means to be special in some way. Even ordinary white folk can feel special because they’re (apparently) so caring of their poor, disadvantaged brethren of color.

I’m all for stereotyping and profiling, because I save myself a shitload of time, and I’m right 80% of the time with no effort on my part. May the Universe give me the insight and wisdom to recognize the 20% and adjust my behavior accordingly. Sorry, I’m too old, and too lazy, to waste my time to make the effort 100% of the time. Most people are assholes and don’t deserve the special effort anyway.

Now get off my lawn.

1 Like

@Californiagrown

I’m Asian and I immigrated to the USA when I was 7. Lived in the Lower East Side of NYC, went to all public schools. Took the SAT and nailed the verbal part when I was 17, actually did worse on the math part. How exactly did the SAT test favor white kids and cultures?

1 Like

This is spot-on. I have a hard time describing what’s going on with my white liberal friends without using words like “delusional hero complex”. They’re all Kevin Costner in Dances With Wolves, the great white savior. Except the policies they push don’t exactly have the greatest track record for improving outcomes for minority communities. If they did, the solution for Chicago would be to get more liberals in there to show everyone how it’s done…

I think stereotypes can be a lot of fun too. One of my best friends is a queer-as-fuck tranny and we bust each other’s balls all the time. Oddly enough, none of my conservative friends give me any kind of grief for hanging out with and training jiu jitsu with a guy who thinks, or at least feels like he’s a chick but still likes to bang chicks and sometimes dudes too. Surprisingly, there’s no shortage of liberals in our mutual circle who completely believe that I’m a hate-filled Nazi. A literal Nazi. I go into the closet when I train sometimes because I just don’t want to get into intersectional politics, I just want to learn how to choke the shit out of people and break bones.

Listen you need to stop appropriating my culture. You’ve got no right to Clint Eastwood quotes. Remember, we used to stack fucks like you five feet high in Korea. Use you for sandbags!