White Privilege

I was a dirt poor white boy who nearly died to a defect in my 15th year (which I still struggle with to this day). I grew up with drugs and abuse in the household, on top of that. I wore my dad’s biker hand me down t-shirts to school, just to give you an idea.

Trust me, there were black kids attending my high school alone who were far more privileged than me.

Understood. But simply put, there’s absolutely nothing I can do about that. And many people’s views are skewed around people having a responsibility to act a certain way because of it

Yes, you had it super rough, and you knew black kids who were more privileged.

You are not understanding it though. As bad as you had it, ANOTHER obstacle to overcome would have been you being black in america as well.

1 Like

I don’t give illogical hateful people the time of day, and you shouldn’t either. Glad you understand. All the “normal” SJWs want is white society to aknowlege the privilege so that they can be more aware of societal racism.

Per usual, the loudest voices come the extremes.

Or, I could have been a healthy black kid with a non-abusive, intact, family. One who was popular and got to wear all the trendy stuff. You know, so they didn’t have to get bullied over their shoes. One with parents who actually checked up on school work. LIke some of the black kids who went directly into college from high school. Me? I worked in a fernery. I would choose that a million times over. A middle class black child is welcome to swap history with me any day of the week.

White privilege exists. It’s just easily left behind in the real world…

Marry. Have children. Obey the law. The wounds today are largely self-inflicted.

You still don’t get it. Pfury does.

That middle class black kid faced more obstacles than his white clone.

You understand class privilege exists, why do you not think race privilege exists?

1 Like

He has a white clone? How about all the poor whites that hear “white privilege” thrown about like a blunt political weapon? How about the middle class whites living with an illness?

I said racial privilege exists. It will always exist like every other privilege. But it has now become a political weapon and a means to stifle debate.

How about them? I don’t think anybody with a brain is arguing white privilege is a greater benefit/detriment than class provlege.

Difference is, you can change your class in a generation or two. You cannot change being black.

1 Like

You don’t have to change being black to change your class. Pay attention in school. Obey authority. Marry. Have children. Stay married.

You don’t even necessarily need to tick every box. But I put my money on the black kid doing just that. Again, I’ve seen them do just that.

And poverty itself, abuse, inter-generational drug use, crappy health, broken homes, etc. aren’t necessarily so easy to escape. Even for white folks.

I know I’m still waiting for the mailman to drop me off my privilege. Could have used me some of that back in the day. Must be lost in the mail.

It’s very difficult to escape all of that and move up in classes, no argument here. However, it’s impossible to change your race. And you are VERY privileged from a world view.

Maybe folks are so defensive because they think of class privilege as a greater problem, but see white privilege getting the airtime? To that I would say: the president is doing no favors to the lower classes, and ALL of our economic policy (ALL OF IT) is geared around addressing the issue of providing class mobility to the deserving. As a society we can address race privilege and class privilege at the same time. They are very intertwined. One doesn’t has to be put down for the other to be addressed.

1 Like

To think other races don’t do this?! :grinning:

Okay, race privilege. As it applies to America and the west, the type of race privilege with the most effective (by orders of magnitude) is white privilege. Happy now?

Or are you saying that since its always existed we shouldn’t worry about it?

I’m white appearing to the untrained eye and have white admixture. But no, I’m not white. I’m Jewish.

Congratulations? Point being…?

You assumed I’m white. I replied to that.

If they are, nobody told me!

I quit being Irish a few years ago though. Life has been good. I ain’t lookin back!

But that isn’t what he said. Privilege can be defined different ways. It can manifest itself in different ways. I’m asking why a majority should expect to have privileges over a minority in this country. His entire premise was wrong though as minorities have often had privileges over majorities, like South Africa.

But that doesn’t make it right.

And this is exactly why it is a tool of identity politics, used to turn one segment of our population against another and diminish the accomplishments of many regular hard working people.

Since the recent invention of the term and its entry into common parlance, there hasn’t been anything precluding anybody of any race from enjoying or passing on the fruits of their labor.

People yelling white privilege are multiple generations late on the horse leaving the barn and expecting the current one to do something about it.

Not my horse, not my barn, and not my problem.